$vboptions[bbtitle]
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Would a 9mm suppressor be effective in reducing the report of a .22 lr?

Would a 9mm suppressor be effective in reducing the report of a .22 lr?

I would like to get one suppressor that would work effectly on both calibers,thanks. ?

Any centerfire suppressor is going to reduce the report of a .22, the question is will it be quiet enough to satisfy your expectations? That would depend on the individual combo. A 9mm suppressor is optimized for the pressure and volume of a 9mm, and of course the hole through it is just a bit larger than the projectile. Shooting a .22 through it will obviously work as it is much smaller. The variable is will the extra volume of a typical 9mm can versus a .22 can compensate for the lack of efficiency caused by the oversized through-hole in the baffles?

It’s good enough, the only reason I got a 22 cal can is because the lead deposit from a 22 will build up and my YHM wraith is a sealed can. But I put a mag of 22lr through the 9mm can and I couldnt tell the difference between the two cans.

Nearly any 9mm can will work well with .22LR. As noted, the exit hole is much larger, allowing more gas to escape. However, this is more than made up for with the much greater internal volume of the 9mm can. Just be sure to use a can you can disassemble to clean out all of the rimfire gunk.

Just for fun, here are a couple of subguns with .22 conversions. One with a .45 can and one with a .22 can.

https://youtu.be/sSxBcjkgOyc
    http://youtu.be/sSxBcjkgOyc

UZI Talk Supporter
    cleaning a can i find takes 10x-100x's the amount of time spent using the can

its almost to the point where i dont even want to use one again....picking with dental tools, soaking, resoaking, picking....

now add very dirty .22lr ontop of that?? not for me

a .22 sparrow is under $500....monocore..only clean the sides....simple, easy, quick.....i find the cleaning is less than i spend shooting it...WINNER!!

unless your hobby is cleaning a can id think twice about shooting .22lr through a 9mm can

Yeah it would work ..But really just get a 22lr can they are not that much money and will sound better and at least the good ones are made to be cleaned easy for all that gunk

i've probably got about 10,000+ rounds of .22 through my .45 blackside.
    I dont do crazy stuff like shoot 1000 rounds in a single session anymore, maybe 50 rounds out of my tac-lite setup and I added a armscorp M14Y today that's suppressor ready i already tried out . It's home usually resides on my 300blk savage axis.

noise reduction is greatly dependent on the ammo and gun used, and experimenting with a wetting media. I've been using stp foaming tire shine since it sucks for actually using it on my tires.

FFL/SOT
    UZI Talk Life Member
    Wisconsin-Indonesia-Thailand & Live @ The Blue Note
    This is the reason media blast cabinets are made
    Be polite,be courteous,be professional,but have a plan to kill everybody in the room
    UZI 22LR FA conversion kits NOT in stock

www.subgun-ordnance.com
    subgun-ordnance@sbcglobal.net

You will need one with stainless steel baffles, but there is always "The Dip"..... A stainless monocore would be the best.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Yes a 9mm can would be effective in reducing the discharge signature of a .22lr quite well, but it wouldn't be effective in handling the lead fouling.

I cant think of any 9mm can currently made to deal with lead fouling properly.

UZI Talk Supporter
    It will work, but not as effectively as a caliber specific can

UZI Talk Supporter

Octane 9

I have an Octane 9 and a Guardian .22 it's hard to tell the difference when shooting .22's thru the 9.

If I had it to do over I would get an Octane 45 for all pistol calibers and leave it at that. Be aware that the Octane 9 OD is bigger so your sight picture will be obscured on stock .22's and I had to get high profile sights for my Glock 17 to see the sights with the Octane.

I have not tried the Dip due to its toxicity so I tumble with SS shot. I leave the baffles in overnight. I tried ultrasonic with no luck.

If you shoot mostly at public ranges most of the time you will have to have protection on so it limits the purpose. Now that cool factor has worn off the pain of cleaning them makes me use them only occasionally.

It is amazing the noise reduction so I am not saying you shouldn't add one or many to your toy collection - Just my observations.
    Last edited by Charlotte514; 12-19-2017 at 07:31 PM. Reason: correction

UZI Talk Supporter
    I think I remember reading at least a few manufactures specifically state shooting 22 through their larger caliber suppressors void the warranty. Anyone else read that or has that all gone away now?
    God, Family, Guns.....Life is Good! ROMANS 10:9-10

I've got a mystic X 9mm that works good with 22's. It's not as good a my spectre II though. The spectre II is made for smaller calibers.

If you plan on buying a 9mm suppressor to run on a 22, make sure that you can service the suppressor. 22's will lead up the CAN.

UZI Talk Life Member
    I use a Bowers for 9mm and an econo-can for .22 because I hardly bother with .22 anymore except to let the kids shoot. Train for the real thing with the real thing.

I really appreciate you'r info,I believe I will get .22 can for now.
    Thanks for all you'r help,Rave

+ Reply to Thread