UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Reising barrel mod for suppressor

Reising barrel mod for suppressor

I'm buying a NIB Reising M50 and thought I'd work on a project while I wait for my Form 4 to clear.

I've seen some old posts about adapting an M50 barrel to accept a suppressor but not sure I found a clear path to get this accomplished. I found a source selling NOS barrels without the compensator (just the threads) but I understand that the threads would need an adapter for today's cans. A few questions:

1) Is the adapter route the best way to go (seems simple enough)? If so, does anyone know who could do this work for me?

2) I understand that factory barrels are threaded 7/8 x 24. Is this correct?

3) Are factory original barrels threaded concentric enough to avoid a baffle strike?

4) With a new barrel, is there any fitting/tweaking needed or are they capable of just dropping in?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Lou

UZI Talk Life Member
    I’ve seen guys get the barrels rethreaded for modern thread pitches to accept suppressors on their reisings

I thought about that but my initial impression was that the barrel wasn't long enough for the suppressor to clear the stock. Guess I could use an extension adapter. I like the idea of not having to worry about whether the factory threads were concentric enough.

Thanks

The minor diameter of 7/8x24 leaves a lot of meat to turn down and rethread to m16 or 5/8x24

Shouldn’t interfere with the stock.

Hmm...thought you'd have to cut off the existing threaded part. Thanks

Coastal Guns or Bowers cans are set up in such a way you could probably keep your original threads intact. Making the thread adapter is not that big-a-deal. As for Concentricity... who knows? That depends on a variety of factors, but you might want to invest in one of those check-rods if you're worried.

It has me wondering. I picked up a cut front-half of a Reising. Basically a worn out barrel and a spare compensator, as I heard the compensators were prone to breakage. Maybe I could slap a can on the reising just for kicks. In truth, the Reising is slowly migrating to the back of my safe. It's a nice gun, but not super-robust, kind of finicky, and they're not making a lot of spare parts anymore.

I've been kicking the idea around for a couple of years now. I've got a blown fin on my comp, so I could take care of that at the same time. Figure I could get a new comp machined, which would be thicker and more robust, but has the same external appearance. Set it up so I can thread the comp off and screw the can on.

One thing to consider: the factory comp is really thin, and the barrel OD matches the comp. So if you remove it and try to use the existing barrel threads, there is essentially no shoulder for the can to index on.

But as noted, the barrel is thick enough you could turn it down and re-thread to 5/8-24 or some other appropriate thread pitch, and machine in a shoulder at the same time.

+ Reply to Thread