UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: .45 Stemples

.45 Stemples

A while back I asked about 9mm Stemples and from the responses posted came to the conclusion that they were finicky and fairly unreliable guns so I bought an original S&W 76. Do the .45 Stemples suffer from the same issues? I am specifically referring to what might be called the earlier Stemples - I've seen ones with Swedish K style grips (HERE) as well as AR style grips (HERE) but which otherwise more or less identically resemble the S&W 76. It is these that I'm interested in and would appreciate some feedback because I would love to have a .45 copy of my S&W 76.

UZI Talk Supporter
    The 2nd gun you referenced looked cool!

Last edited by robertmcm; 12-31-2017 at 09:53 AM.

I've got an "early" Stemple S/N 1040, looks like the first link.
    They use modified M3 GG mags. A slot needs to be cut in the correct place for the mag catch, not hard to do on a mill.
    The only trouble I've had was it started to run away. Seems the sear notch on the bolt eroded, & wouldn't catch.
    A little time with a TIG, True it back up on the lathe, then mill it back to the proper place, & it's been good to go.
    I do keep an eye on it, though.
    Oh yea, the stock wobbles(don't they all....)

It'll eat any ball I feed it, EXCEPT russian steel cased, it won't feed it at all.
    Not sure why,never buy it, so I never looked into it.
    Had someone at a shoot ask if they could shoot it if they supplied commercial ammo.
    They tried steel cased, no-go.
    Last edited by gunguy45; 12-30-2017 at 11:43 AM. Reason: additional thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by gunguy45 View Post
    I've got an "early" Stemple S/N 1040, looks like the first link.
    They use modified M3 GG mags. A slot needs to be cut in the correct place for the mag catch, not hard to do on a mill.
    The only trouble I've had was it started to run away. Seems the sear notch on the bolt eroded, & wouldn't catch.
    A little time with a TIG, True it back up on the lathe, then mill it back to the proper place, & it's been good to go.
    I do keep an eye on it, though.
    Oh yea, the stock wobbles(don't they all....)

It'll eat any ball I feed it, EXCEPT russian steel cased, it won't feed it at all.
    Not sure why,never buy it, so I never looked into it.
    Had someone at a shoot ask if they could shoot it if they supplied commercial ammo.
    They tried steel cased, no-go.
    Thanks for your input. So other than the sear catch on the bolt eroding it sounds like it's been a good .45 subgun. Any idea what the rate of fire is? Looks about 700rpm from videos I've seen. How many rounds would you guesstimate you've put through it? I'm also trying to gauge a price for one but nearly all of the Stemples I've found are newer BRP guns of various configurations. I'd like an early one like the one you indicated you own or what I assume is only a slighter later version with an AR grip and sliding wire stock. Mind sharing when you bought it and what you paid? Feel free to PM me. Thanks again!

UZI Talk Life Member
    I was lucky to get in on a group buy on 76/45s years ago where one of our group was a local gunsmith. He modified the mag wells and beefed up the stock, grip and stock latching mechanism. The thing has been bullet proof reliable for many years. Wore the sear out, but replaced and right back in business. My bolt is weighted which slowed down the rate but still fires 700-750 rpm. Here's a link to the pics of my gun (recently sold) so you can compare...
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/Jfv0tLib9KPeHx6D2

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus99 View Post
    Thanks for your input. So other than the sear catch on the bolt eroding it sounds like it's been a good .45 subgun. Any idea what the rate of fire is? Looks about 700rpm from videos I've seen. How many rounds would you guesstimate you've put through it? I'm also trying to gauge a price for one but nearly all of the Stemples I've found are newer BRP guns of various configurations. I'd like an early one like the one you indicated you own or what I assume is only a slighter later version with an AR grip and sliding wire stock. Mind sharing when you bought it and what you paid? Feel free to PM me. Thanks again!
    I'd have to say to runs near 900 rpm, pretty fast.
    I've only got a few thousand rds. through it, I only get it out about once a year.
    I bought it in 2001, paid $1900.00.
    The triggers on them are pretty lousy, heavy as all get out.

Quote Originally Posted by nuge View Post
    I was lucky to get in on a group buy on 76/45s years ago where one of our group was a local gunsmith. He modified the mag wells and beefed up the stock, grip and stock latching mechanism. The thing has been bullet proof reliable for many years. Wore the sear out, but replaced and right back in business. My bolt is weighted which slowed down the rate but still fires 700-750 rpm. Here's a link to the pics of my gun (recently sold) so you can compare...
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/Jfv0tLib9KPeHx6D2
    Beautiful, that would look great alongside my 76 meanwhile providing a different caliber experience. Have you ever shot an S&W 76/MK760/Stemple 9mm etc.? I've always found my S&W 76 to be very smooth and I'm curious whether that's also true in the .45 Stemple. I realize that's a somewhat subjective question and of course assumes the 9mm subguns I mentioned above all shoot similarly (I've not shot a 9mm Stemple, MK760 or Swedish K.)

I will say that rubber I see commonly used on the Stemples looks very cheap. I'd probably remove it and perhaps wrap the stock in thin paracord or something similar. Was the stock at least stable?

Quote Originally Posted by gunguy45 View Post
    I'd have to say to runs near 900 rpm, pretty fast.
    I've only got a few thousand rds. through it, I only get it out about once a year.
    I bought it in 2001, paid $1900.00.
    The triggers on them are pretty lousy, heavy as all get out.
    Very helpful, thanks for your input!

Marcus,

I had a Stemple 76/45 chambered in 9mm. It was an early MKI identical to the .45 versions with a safety "J" slot. I had in both 9mm and .45. I really enjoyed the 9mm, but the .45 was about 800 or so RPM. I sold it years ago for a Madsen M50. If I had another Stemple I would go the .45 route on a MKI and figure out how to slow the ROF. Apart from a few broken extractors, in ran like a champ. Good luck.

UZI Talk Life Member

Well, here's my take on the Stemples. I have both 9MM and 45 ACP...two Mk-760's and a Swedish K. Never a reason to buy the S&W 76 because MK Arms bought the patents from S&W, so they are the same guns; parts interchangeable and all. Jim Burgess makes a great S&W 76 Copy from a Stemple Tube, if you ever see or decide to buy one.

The Swedish K is either the prettiest or ugliest of the bunch, dependent upon the "eye of the holder". It eats everything you feed it! Stock looks like hell, but it locks up and works great. I personally like the thick wire stocks of the Stemples the best - they lock up well and absorb shock of firing well too. Stock Stemple 76/45 ROF is around 600 to 700, unless you have a lighter or heavier than standard bolt. Stemple 9MM is much higher, 950 +++, unless you have a BRP Gun. BRP has the best Stemples! They work! If you find a Stemple that works, it works like a top. If it is "new and unfired", then it may not fire singles at all. Most have to be "tweaked" to run. Same story with the MK-760's made in Panama City, FL and Irwin, CA. If a Fruithurst, Alabama gun, it works like a top.

I personally like the Stemple 76/45. It is a very fun gun with a Suppressor. It is Hollywood Quiet! It is a LOT of fun with my BarrelXChange 50 round Grease Gun Drum and Burgess Suppressor! This makes a great companion gun with the M3 Grease Gun Suppressed and you can easily shoot singles, since the ROF of the GG is around 450 to 500. Heavy Bolts are a lot of fun!

I really wish you guys had said they were junk. Now I want one. And so the hunt begins...

The Stemple 76/45 is one of the most undervalued and unappreciated smg in the class III world. For long time that made them very affordable, but now their prices continue to increase. Lonnie and I received ours at the same time. At face value they are crude. But that is a part of their charm. Find a good gunsmith and the possibilities are endless. Personally, I ran my 9mm Stemple against my buddy's Swedish K and it felt so identical between the two for a fraction of the K price. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by jolague View Post
    The Stemple 76/45 is one of the most undervalued and unappreciated smg in the class III world. For long time that made them very affordable, but now their prices continue to increase. Lonnie and I received ours at the same time. At face value they are crude. But that is a part of their charm. Find a good gunsmith and the possibilities are endless. Personally, I ran my 9mm Stemple against my buddy's Swedish K and it felt so identical between the two for a fraction of the K price. Good luck!
    Care to share your source (if any) on a competent Stemple gunsmith?
    I got one of the new Burgess guns and it wasn’t right out of the box......

UZI Talk Life Member

Robermcm - We have chatted before! Jim Burgess is a member of the board here! Jim can fix it - just contact him; he is a stand-up guy! I know he will make it right. You may have to fill out the ATF Travel Form or just Form 5 it to Jim for repair. I know he can fix it! Sometimes it is a matter of the magazine itself, i.e. wrong angle for the bolt to strip the cartridge. It may be that the mag well is at the wrong angle, but most problems are the former rather than the latter. Most is the magazine itself. Try several different magazines. Jim Burgess will help you with this problem...just give him a chance! LJ

UZI Talk Life Member

Guys - The Stemples are NOT junk!!! I will buy everyone anybody wants to sell for $3K, and, I will make money on the resale! BRP is the leader in this market and their guns are going for $8K and above. They are a Tube Gun and the possibilities are endless! Make a Swedish K out of one or whatever! Ever hear of a StenLing? Yep, Wilson Tube or Stemple and you have a reliable SMG. Find a Tube on the Cheap, then acquire the desired Gun Kit, and a few hours later, you have a desirable SMG!!!

OK...happen to have a Stemple Tube in my reserve. It has the Suomi Select Fire Trigger installed and it has a G3 Stock also. Just needs some TLC for her to run! Probably wrong magazine angle or needs a "feed tube" for cartridges installed. Stemples "once tweaked" run as good as any gun! Best of luck, LJ

Quote Originally Posted by lonniejt View Post
    Robermcm - We have chatted before! Jim Burgess is a member of the board here! Jim can fix it - just contact him; he is a stand-up guy! I know he will make it right. You may have to fill out the ATF Travel Form or just Form 5 it to Jim for repair. I know he can fix it! Sometimes it is a matter of the magazine itself, i.e. wrong angle for the bolt to strip the cartridge. It may be that the mag well is at the wrong angle, but most problems are the former rather than the latter. Most is the magazine itself. Try several different magazines. Jim Burgess will help you with this problem...just give him a chance! LJ
    I did, he sent me dvds on how to grind the inside and we did some long distance talking. It went on for a few months. I had a gun with many problems. The welded bands on the bolt came loose. I had to grind the inside ejector. Had to grind other stuff on the inside. It went on and on. I was done when I was told I could mail it back for repair, then was told I had to form 5 it- that’s a lot of paperwork on a trust these days- so then I took some pics of my mag catch and asked for the eclip that never was on the pin and that’s about where it ended. Jim should have sent out a functional gun, and he should have made it right. I’d rather send it to competent gunsmith.

+ Reply to Thread