UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 4

Thread: An Idea

UZI Talk Supporter
    FWIW,
    The way I was able to upload the image was this:

I had to retake the pic standing farther away!
    Doing this enabled me to crop more, this cutting overall size down.
    Our youngest daughter taught me that. (She's 22)

Quote Originally Posted by sniperdoc View Post
    FWIW,
    The way I was able to upload the image was this:

I had to retake the pic standing farther away!
    Doing this enabled me to crop more, this cutting overall size down.
    Our youngest daughter taught me that. (She's 22)

Haha yep. Gotta do weird things sometimes... I'm sure someday in the future we won't have to do run arounds to post pictures

UZI Talk Life Member
    Honestly? That picture is worthless. An engineer's mind sees a problem in the first 5 seconds or less, then ponders and sees a brick wall worth of problems.

An entire thread broadcast to the Internet and this was the result? Your disclaimer of more parts may be needed is the punch line. A thread advertising as you have in the title, only to be treated to this. Why?

Explain how the ratchet interacts with the sear whilst holding the bolt? For starters.

Please don't deflect that you "tried".

UZI Talk Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Hey... View Post
    Honestly? That picture is worthless. An engineer's mind sees a problem in the first 5 seconds or less, then ponders and sees a brick wall worth of problems.

An entire thread broadcast to the Internet and this was the result? Your disclaimer of more parts may be needed is the punch line. A thread advertising as you have in the title, only to be treated to this. Why?

Explain how the ratchet interacts with the sear whilst holding the bolt? For starters.

Please don't deflect that you "tried".
    I meant that more parts may be needed IF adapted to different firearms.
    Ok, the notch in 1 of the 3 "points" on the triangle catches the lever, causing the lever to cam upward, engaging the bolt face.
    Because the lever pin is offest to the rear, and the lever engagement surfaces are slightly beveled, the bolt (due to mass and spring pressure) will force the lever downward, disengaging it.
    The other 2 "points" are radiused on 1 side, which prevents the lever from engaging.
    This allows 3 shots at normal ROF,then a slight hesitation, followed by 3 more at normal ROF, hesitation, repeat.
    By using a centrally located pin, one could possibly make a 3rd burst setup that requires trigger release to fire next burst.

As Thread Title states, this is "AN IDEA", not a part that is ready to ship tomorrow.

UZI Talk Life Member
    A for effort.

UZI Talk Supporter
    I'm not a Mechanical Engineer; I'm not a great artist; I'm damn sure not John Browning.
    I had an idea for a product that may or may not be feasible.
    I freely offered the idea to anyone who thinks they can make it work. It may be useless, it may need major changes,or it may be the next big breakthrough in FA Technology, with every Military on earth scrambling for it. I have no idea.

When I get some more graph paper, and have the time, I will try to do a better pic, including pics depicting the triangle in other positions and interactions with the lever.
    Last edited by sniperdoc; 01-15-2018 at 10:12 PM.

UZI Talk Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Mackjack View Post
    Haha yep. Gotta do weird things sometimes... I'm sure someday in the future we won't have to do run arounds to post pictures
    I probably tried 50 different ways to use the app, and the problem turned out to be the picture.
    Too bad you can't just type "I need the photo reduced to (this) size"

UZI Talk Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Hey... View Post
    A for effort.
    Thank you.

UZI Talk Supporter

Might I suggest a new avenue to pursue? Rotate the cam horizontally instead (or redesign the cam to time three rounds in some other way, perhaps a plate with channels like a belt fed mechanism)? There's not enough vertical room for anything approaching an M16 3 round burst cam in any mac when there's a bolt in there. At that point, you might have enough room to drop it in somewhere forward of the trigger to operate the semi-auto disconnector, and could possibly modify or manufacture a new disconnector to activate the burst mode halfway between the semi and auto position...leaving the semi and auto functions unaffected. A neat trick and doable if one could pull off the engineering.

I've actually been tinkering with the idea of an AUG/P90 style trigger that is semi auto when pulled halfway, and full auto when pulled all the way back...something that I think would be of far greater utility for most of us.
    The trigger would have a bar extending forward underneath the disconnector, which tapers off toward the end. The bar holds the disconnector up when in the forward position (when the trigger is forward), enabling semi auto function. Continue pulling it, and the bar tapers off underneath the disconnector allowing it to fall to the same height it would be in when the selector is in auto, enabling full auto function. This would make the selector switch redundant, so it could be replaced with a ground off pin instead. Alternatively, a slightly longer selector pin could be made that cams the trigger bar out of the way when pushed in (or pulled out...using the existing spring with a second detent), allowing standard selector positions to be used and either enabling or disabling the AUG/P90 trigger mode.

UZI Talk Supporter
    Thanks for the feedback.
    My "idea" is just that; I'm sure someone with the proper knowledge and skills could have a working prototype within a week, if they devoted the necessary thought and time into the project.
    I didn't originally intended for it to be MAC specific, but that seems to be the platform everyone is interested in.

Something to keep in mind with regard to burst fire in general:

+ Reply to Thread