UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Primers for the UZI SMG

Primers for the UZI SMG

Since the UZI is an advanced primer ignition design, who manufactures the hardest primers for reloading my hunger UZI?
    Thanks

I use S&B. No problems with ignition for me.

I've used a boat load of CCI's in my OB M10/9.

Yes, I know you're asking specifically about uzi, but there's not a lot of difference between the two where "advanced primer ignition" is concerned. (yeah, I had to look that phrase up). They're both open bolt subguns.

You could probably use #41's and 7 1/2's if you're real worried about popping a primer. But you'll have to do your homework and work up the load data yourself. I have a lot of 7 1/2 loads for 357 max, 10mm and blackout, which handle the pressures just fine. But I don't have any 9mm load data with either of them. So, my guess is just that. A guess. Do your homework.

FFL/SOT
    UZI Talk Life Member
    Ive loaded every brand of primers you can find. From standard small pistol to small rifle mag. and never had an issue in the uzi. My preference is cci small pistol though.
    Chris Hipes
    Hipes Consulting Services LLC
    FFL/SOT 07/02
    poulan10takethisoutsoidonotgetmorespam@yahoo.com
    North Texas

Stay away from Federal primers. I have heard people have problems with them in open bolt guns.

Talking full auto UZI here.
    Thanks, I have been using CCI in my reloads and for the most part they have worked well. There have been a few occasions when I have experienced a pronounced bulge in the base of a fired case due to the advanced ignition of the primer before the round was fully chambered. I have also had at least 1 case blow up due to ignition before the round was chambered. I know that original ammo designed for UZI sub gun use only, was loaded hot and had very hard primers to prevent these issues. Ammo designed exclusively for the UZI sub gun sometimes would not even ignite in commercial 9mm chambered firearms. That is my primary reason for seeking out the hardest primer I can find.

I'm currently using small rifle primers for mine, because I bought thousands cheap. But I've also used nearly every available brand of pistol primers and no out of battery issues. My standard load is Vithouri shotgun powder with my 124 grain cast bullets, makes a very inexpensive load.
    Last edited by MT-AC; 02-08-2018 at 12:18 PM. Reason: Spell check changes words!!!

Hi,

I've tried about everything I can find for primers. All worked well. I'd say the deciding factor is more about what works best with your loading equipment. The OB subbies will set them off every time!

K2

UZI Talk Supporter
    I only use Black Powder in flintlocks (because that is what everyone else uses);also use it now in Percussion guns (just because it's easier to only use 1 powder)
    Do

Before I started shooting Flintlocks, I shot Goex in Percussion guns I like Traditional Black Powder best

From personal experience I second not using federal primers. A month or so ago I loaded up some of my favorite 9mm 147 grain loads to shoot in my pistols and S&w 76 with federal primers. When I was shooting these loads I had a few actually rupture the casing right above the rim and the primers were flowing like I’ve never seen before. I’ve been shooting a mk760 bolt in my 76 and it has always been 100% dependable in my smith but I have noticed the firing pin petrudes quite a bit more than my original bolt. I believe what was happening is the federal primers were igniting before the rounds were fully chambered resulting in the cases blowing. The primers were flowing so bad they actually allowed hot gases to escape around the primer pocket onto the bolt face which actually etched the face of my bolt. When I was shooting the same load in my pistols I did notice the federal primers were a little flatter than my normal CCI’s or S&B’s primers but no real issues. I actually pulled my remaining 400-500 rounds with the federal primers and reloaded to the minimum charge and tried them again in my smith. Still the same flowing primer issue! Don’t use federals in a open bolt!

+ Reply to Thread