UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Suomi drum speed loader: Who's better than I am at CAD

Suomi drum speed loader: Who's better than I am at CAD

I'm kicking around the idea of trying my hand at building a loading block for the Suomi drums. I'm envisioning a block with 9mm holes in a spiral pattern, load the bullets nose-down into the block, put a wound drum on top, and flip.

BUT, how on Earth do you make a decreasing spiral in CAD? I know people CAN do it, it has been done, but I can't for the life of me figure that one out. I could stitch together short curves by trial and error, but that would take forever.

How do you CAD up a decreasing curve?

UZI Talk Supporter
    sounds like a smart idea...if it could be done at a reasonable price and work you would have a lot of customers....for me its fun time for me and my son...he enjoys me swearing when i tip a bullet and have to use a screw driver to get it back up......you would eliminate that quality time

Looking in a suomi drum is not a perfect spiral, its 2 circles.... So if your doing what I think your doing I would emulate that shape instead of a perfect spiral

Name:  Screenshot_2018-02-08-18-17-01-1.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  36.2 KB

yea, this is gonna suck to get right. On the plus side, once you get it right, you just hit "Print", and off it goes again, easy-peasy.

which hopefully makes up for the weeks and weeks of "Suck to get right".

Yeah, it looks like a smaller circle and then a tangent line off the small circle to the larger circle.
    Last edited by dgleavitt; 02-09-2018 at 08:06 AM.

UZI Talk Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by dgleavitt View Post
    Yeah, it looks like a smaller circle and then a tangent line off the small circle to the larger circle.
    Yes, 2 concentric circles, with a tangent line off the inner circle.
    When I load a drum, I prop it up on an ammo box so the whole thing sits at an angle and the rounds roll to the bottom more or less and load two handed, starting at the bottom and keeping the number of rounds going in symmetrical across the vertical centerline. Makes it quite easy, as everything balances out pretty nicely.

Now, let's say you had a $2 piece of plastic with a circle of dents in it. Nothing fancy. A buddy could put bullets in that, and you could slap/flip a drum to load it while freaking out because your name just got called for your subgun run

Quote Originally Posted by wtrski76 View Post
    When I load a drum, I prop it up on an ammo box so the whole thing sits at an angle and the rounds roll to the bottom more or less and load two handed, starting at the bottom and keeping the number of rounds going in symmetrical across the vertical centerline. Makes it quite easy, as everything balances out pretty nicely.

id buy one

Also, I wonder if you could print a bullet platter with spaces wide enough for a 45 acp. Maybe make a tower converted drum for the M10/45.

UZI Talk Life Member

Also, I wonder if you could print a bullet platter with spaces wide enough for a 45 acp. Maybe make a tower converted drum for the M10/45.
    Probably better to start with a thompson drum and make the adapter. I have thought about doing this, but not found the time. The 45 rounds are too long to fit in the suomi anyways.

I don’t imagine length will be a huge problem to solve. Just weld some stand-offs to the cover. The spring release plunger has some extra travel in it. 45 acp Suomi drums have been done before but at around 400 it was too much for me to buy.

I don’t imagine length will be a huge problem to solve. Just weld some stand-offs to the cover. The spring release plunger has some extra travel in it. 45 acp Suomi drums have been done before but at around 400 it was too much for me to buy.
    Just start with a ppsh drum maybe. Those drums are 1\4 inch or so deeper

UZI Talk Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by wtrski76 View Post
    I load the same way, works great!
    God, Family, Guns.....Life is Good! ROMANS 10:9-10

+ Reply to Thread