UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Any good deals on quality AK mags out there?

UZI Talk Supporter

Any good deals on quality AK mags out there?

I think it might be a good time to buy a few AK47 mags.

I admit I'm not an AK guy. So - what type / maker would you recommend and where is a good source?

Will the Pmags fit into a run-of-the-mill MAK90 or Yugo?

I don't want take on a research project, just looking to pick up 10-20 30 round mags.

I prefer surplus steel magazines to the newer plastic types but thats just a personal preference. They are mostly running arouns $10 a pop so still pretty affordable. Theres not much quality difference between manufacturer, except some of the Russian and Chinese mags are "flatback" meaning they do not have the reinforcing rib on the rear of the mag. A little more comfortable but no real performance difference.

Apex has these new manufacture Zastava (Serbian) mags for $10 which feature the Yugo-style "bolt-hold-open" feature. Its not really a true bolt-hold, but a different style of follower that holds the bolt to the rear on the last shot. Note that the bolt will still slam home when you remove the empty magazine. It is just a convenient way of letting you know when you are empty, as the Kalashnikov design will drop the hammer on an empty chamber.

I also like the Hungarian 20 round "tanker mags" for convenience. They look better on an SBR too IMHO. The prices on these seem to go up and down periodically depending on availability. If you're into capacity, 40 round RPK magazines are still available for a reasonable price if you look around. The Romanian 75 round drums are still available at Centerfire for around $100.

UZI Talk Supporter

Great info. Plenty of choices.

What about these?
    https://whatacountry.com/ak-47-30-ro...hungarian.aspx

Perfectly good mags but for the price difference why not go with the new-manufacture Zastava mags I linked and get the BHO feature?
    (I wouldn't pay over $10 for surplus steel 30 rounders, as that seems to be the current rock-bottom price.)

Skip any of the new BHO mags imop ..Most seem to have major lock up issues or not even fitting ..Most of the new Croat mags need filling .. I think the new Yugo mags are ok as long as some one does not accidently sell you the crap croat mags as yugo mags

AIM has 20 round tanker mags for cheep ..Nice mags

Mags from any former Com country are good to go ..Not no ..Ie the Korean mags mostly sucks ( South that is ) ..Any of the chep polish or bulgy commerical mags same story ...

What you want in a mag is metal feed lips and locking lugs and metal in the mags if you can get it ...So circle 10 mags are good to go ..Tapco/magpul etc can be had cheep but are range mags save the gen 3 magpul I have found that Tapco/magpul tend to be tight esp in pre ban imports ..I have a hard time getting magpuls to lock into china guns for example

Really I would look on the Ak files etc ..Most of the mags I am seeing at there seem to be over priced or bottom of barrel dented stuff ..I did see some dented euro mags for 10 bucks each I think what a country but eh..

Really imop one should pay no more then 9-10 each for good metal mags ( unless a rarer model ie China made or Russian etc with good markings ) and 38-40 max for circle 10s

I have gotten great china flatbacks mags on the files for 20ish each I am a big china flatback fan ..And have found circle 10s for around 35-40 each there ...

Def get some of the tanker mags from AIM that is a decent deal

Also AOA has some good deals now and then on 30 rounders

Mr. Miata
    UZI Talk Life Member
    Magpul AK mags M3 are on sale at midway. 12.99 each with free shipping for $99 orders today.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/38...-polymer-black
    AWWWW NUTS!

REAL MEN DRIVE MIATAS

UZI Talk Supporter

I ended up buying some unnamed "Eastern European" steel military mags from RTG for around $15 each. Might sound a bit high but they were described as "Very Good" but came individually sealed and most looked unused.

Some of the recommended "New" commercial mags have a lot of negative feedback with fitment problems, something the military mags don't have.

+ Reply to Thread