UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Stenling worth these days?

UZI Talk Supporter

Stenling worth these days?

What is the current going price for a Stenling these days?

Built by Don Quinnel many years ago, beautiful job, 0-ZERO problems runs 100%
    (I don't understand why he gets bad reviews...perhaps " because I read it on the internet")

Large cocking handle slot, flat black moly-resin finish, not crinkle finish

UZI Talk Life Member

Some have gone as high as $10k.

Who made your receiver tube?

Quote Originally Posted by ferndog1 View Post
    (I don't understand why he gets bad reviews...perhaps " because I read it on the internet")
    Maybe this will help you understand?

http://www.uzitalk.com/forums/showth...-parts-show-up

http://www.uzitalk.com/forums/showth...Sterling-tubes

Just going by the ones I’ve seen; the workmanship can be hit or miss. If you were lucky and got a good one, that’s great.

UZI Talk Supporter
    It is a York Arms Sten, I have had several Stens, The York Arms was one of the nicest, nice welds, finish etc. I almost wish I would have used one of my Erb Stens for the conversion.

UZI Talk Supporter
    Thanks for the links, there were a lot of negatives and a few positives. I have been into MGs for a long time and have dealt with many unscrupulous dealers and manufacturers. One who C2 shall remain nameless, was famous for selling you a nice gun, then when you picked it up all the parts had been swapped out for worn-rusty crap. Another did an AR-15 conversion (pre '86) all new Colt parts were supplied. When the gun was returned it would not function reliably. Upon Inspection, it was discovered all the new Colt parts were replaced with junk. THEN there was the AZ C3 dealer Curtis Earl, a real arrogant crook- A-H.

My dealings with Don Quinnel were very good. When I decided to have my Sten converted after reading the SAR article in 1999, I called Andrewski, as I recall Stan was doing them back then. When I asked about a turnaround, he told me to ship it up to him and forget about it for a long while. That's when I chose DQ who did it for 1/3 the price and a 2 week turn around. As I mentioned that was MANY years ago and the Stenling still looks and runs great.

SAR link to the Sten to Sterling article 1999
    https://www.smallarmsreview.com/disp...darticles=3215

I've been hearing and reading about Stan for years pertaining to his work on Stens, Sterlings, S&W 76's and other tube built transferables. He's right here in NH too. Almost makes me hope that my S&W 76 breaks someday just so I have an excuse to hear some stories from the old machinegun days.

UZI Talk Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcus99 View Post
    I've been hearing and reading about Stan for years pertaining to his work on Stens, Sterlings, S&W 76's and other tube built transferables. He's right here in NH too. Almost makes me hope that my S&W 76 breaks someday just so I have an excuse to hear some stories from the old machinegun days.
    ^ you won't regret it, but the Andrewski doing all the work these days is his son John Andrewski. He is a true craftsman and wonderful guy. If you have any reason at all to interact or have him do work for you, you will be glad you did. His work is top notch and he is a pleasure to deal with. He spends time with you, answers questions, tries to educate and provide options to help you make decisions about your build or repair. And yes, he is the reigning master of all things Sten, Sterling, Swedish K, S&W 76, etc.

UZI Talk Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tall Pine View Post
    ^ you won't regret it, but the Andrewski doing all the work these days is his son John Andrewski. He is a true craftsman and wonderful guy. If you have any reason at all to interact or have him do work for you, you will be glad you did. His work is top notch and he is a pleasure to deal with. He spends time with you, answers questions, tries to educate and provide options to help you make decisions about your build or repair. And yes, he is the reigning master of all things Sten, Sterling, Swedish K, S&W 76, etc.
    That’s also been my experience with John. You’re not going to meet a nicer man or better craftsman.

I had the pleasure of meeting John. He spent most of his day showing me around and educating me. His wealth of knowledge is amazing. I felt like I was trying to take a drink from a fire hose. I was like a kid in the master’s candy factory. Without a doubt the most enjoyable day I have had in many years.

John is not cheap but you get what you pay for ( and an “Andrewski” will always fetch a premium if you sell it) . For me it’s always a joy to deal with John. He’s completely trustworthy, great to work with and I know I am going to get a beautiful gun back.

UZI Talk Life Member
    John did an excellent job for me a few years ago repairing a broken mini Uzi bolt.

John did a complete rebuild and refinish on my DGS stenling a few years ago.Outstanding work and reliability.John and Stan are a class act all the way.

+ Reply to Thread