UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Why are MK760s and SW76 harder to find

UZI Talk Life Member
    I will have bolts and sears ready before the end of the year. I am really hoping to have them ready by Fall Knob Creek. Other parts will be added to my website as I get them ready.
    Richard Hoffman
    Gunsmith/Owner

BWE Firearms & BWE Parts
    Longwood, FL
    (407) 592-3975
    www.bwefirearms.com
    www.bweparts.com
    richard@bwefirearms.com

Quote Originally Posted by BWE Firearms View Post
    I will have bolts and sears

I will have bolts and sears ready before the end of the year. I am really hoping to have them ready by Fall Knob Creek. Other parts will be added to my website as I get them ready.
    Are you doing any redesign of the bolt? I have heard of modifications where the extractor location is changed.

Quote Originally Posted by woodenword View Post
    Are you doing any redesign of the bolt? I have heard of modifications where the extractor location is changed.
    Like in the sense how mk760 and a sw76 are in different positions?

Marcus, thatís scary, I would really like to get a sear or two, mine has a hairline crack and I am not thrilled about the lack of aftermarket parts...
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcus99 View Post
    I agree that it's a lack of parts that hold the S&W76/MK760 back, if anything. If someone were producing a reliable supply of bolts and FCG parts I suspect the family would see increased popularity even though they remain relatively non versatile comparatively. Unfortunately as it stands if you break a bolt your gun will be consigned to safe queen status and you'll spend months (years?) searching for a replacement. I watched for two years and only saw one bolt come up for sale; IIRC ReconOrd sold it for $900 a few months ago at auction on GB.

Richard, I just saw your post...I cannot wait for your sears.....will you let us know when they are ready.....

Quote Originally Posted by airborne118 View Post
    Marcus, thatís scary, I would really like to get a sear or two, mine has a hairline crack and I am not thrilled about the lack of aftermarket parts...
    Personally I think that the need for spare parts is a bit exaggerated to a certain extent. These are robust tool steel guns with thick dimensions - the liklihood of a part breaking is low. HOWEVER, in your case where a particular FCG part has already demonstrated that it is failing, I would NOT continue to shoot it. The gun could run away in F/A if the sear fails. Plus, a competent gunsmith may be able to repair the part in it"s current state before it (and possibly the gun) experiences greater damage.

Hopefully those with more knowledge can offer you advice. If not you should seek further input.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Woodenword, I may do a modified bolt were the extractor is rotated towards the ejection port but to use a modified bolt like that your 76/760's trunnion will have to be cut out and re-machined or clocked so the ejector cut lines up with the new bolt and welded back in. I am not sure how many people will want to do that.

Marcus99, The 76/760s are not made from tool steel. most of the parts are made out of 1018 mild steel. The MK760s sears and triggers are made from castings. The trigger bar in all of them are just three peices of sheet metal riveted together. The parts were made thick so the manufacturer could skip the heat treating of the parts. These guns were never designed to last as long as they have. I am by no means saying they are bad guns, they could definately use some improvements and once I get parts for them into production people will start dragging them out of their safes and not be so worried it something does break.
    Richard Hoffman
    Gunsmith/Owner

BWE Firearms & BWE Parts
    Longwood, FL
    (407) 592-3975
    www.bwefirearms.com
    www.bweparts.com
    richard@bwefirearms.com

Count me in Richard, I will buy two of everything....
    Woodenword, I may do a modified bolt were the extractor is rotated towards the ejection port but to use a modified bolt like that your 76/760's trunnion will have to be cut out and re-machined or clocked so the ejector cut lines up with the new bolt and welded back in. I am not sure how many people will want to do that.

Marcus99, The 76/760s are not made from tool steel. most of the parts are made out of 1018 mild steel. The MK760s sears and triggers are made from castings. The trigger bar in all of them are just three peices of sheet metal riveted together. The parts were made thick so the manufacturer could skip the heat treating of the parts. These guns were never designed to last as long as they have. I am by no means saying they are bad guns, they could definately use some improvements and once I get parts for them into production people will start dragging them out of their safes and not be so worried it something does break.

Thank you for the correction Richard. I welcome the availability of durable replacement parts for those prone to breakage, especially a bolt, FCG parts and barrel nut retaining latch. I'd probably shoot my 76 more frequently were it not for a slight concern of something breaking, justified or not.

Count me in Richard, I will buy two of everything....
    Can people who actually need bolts get dibs? lol. I have been waiting a couple years on a replacement bolt now.

I noticed an MK760 went for $8500 on subguns, is that the new price for these? Seems pretty high.....

was a place advertising in firearms news awhile back that had loads of parts. They sold out very fast even at $$$ prices.

mk760 was one of the few guns I wish i had never sold.

No kidding, I was kind of shocked, about a year ago you could find them for 6K....

I have one nib never been fired it might be a good time to part with it now ha

I would say thatís a good idea, they were going for around 6K a year ago, I searched everywhere......
    Quote Originally Posted by Petroleum 1 View Post
    I have one nib never been fired it might be a good time to part with it now ha

I would say that’s a good idea, they were going for around 6K a year ago, I searched everywhere......
    Were they 6k used or nib??

Thatís used, NIB would be much more I suppose......itís just interesting how much these things have creeped up in price in the last 1 years/ 1 year and a half.....word must be out or something...
    Quote Originally Posted by Petroleum 1 View Post
    Were they 6k used or nib??

I have a new in wax paper F/A Bolt for a MK Arms 760. I recently dropped it into my Smith & Wesson to test the fit. The bolt seemed to fit ok, and drop forward properly with the actuation of the trigger, but for some reason, the selector switch will not rotate fully in the Safe position. The notch cut for the sear must be slightly different. I'm not a true believer when I read that the parts are interchangeable between the two.

Quote Originally Posted by MachinegunKid1 View Post
    I have a new in wax paper F/A Bolt for a MK Arms 760. I recently dropped it into my Smith & Wesson to test the fit. The bolt seemed to fit ok, and drop forward properly with the actuation of the trigger, but for some reason, the selector switch will not rotate fully in the Safe position. The notch cut for the sear must be slightly different. I'm not a true believer when I read that the parts are interchangeable between the two.
    Richard at BWE could answer that I’m sure. Maybe he will see your post.

+ Reply to Thread