UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 3 LastLast

Thread: Why are MK760s and SW76 harder to find

Why are MK760s and SW76 harder to find

I recently got my MK760 after a year and I was looking at maybe getting another and it seems there are not many on the market anymore.....I know the Class III world is weird I was wondering what’s going on?

Probably because of 'supply and demand' - cheaper NFA guns allowing for more people to enter the world of automatic arms. Prices are rising, political climate isn't too good, etc. Soon as they become available, someone immediately jumps on it and it is SPF (sold pending funds). I got my S&W 76 maybe 10 years ago, then I waited to find the Gemtech suppressor like you see at the top of the page - that took me 5 years.

You have some good points, in the last year the prices have really jumped......sure glad I got my MK760 when I did.....most other machine guns are beyond affordable for most people.....
    How do you like the suppressed SW76?
    Quote Originally Posted by lugercarbine View Post
    Probably because of 'supply and demand' - cheaper NFA guns allowing for more people to enter the world of automatic arms. Prices are rising, political climate isn't too good, etc. Soon as they become available, someone immediately jumps on it and it is SPF (sold pending funds). I got my S&W 76 maybe 10 years ago, then I waited to find the Gemtech suppressor like you see at the top of the page - that took me 5 years.
    Last edited by airborne118; 04-07-2018 at 04:55 PM.

The S&W 76 with reloads of 147gr you only hear the bolt slap, very quiet.

That’s awesome, I may have to get one someday....
    The S&W 76 with reloads of 147gr you only hear the bolt slap, very quiet.

I too am looking for a suppressor for my M76. Is the pictured Gemtech a preferred suppressor for this sub-gun? Would it be still in production or a discontinued product? There is a lot of companies advertising suppressors for 9mm full autos. Any opinions I get on a suitable unit is appreciated.

To the best of my knowledge, Gemtech was designed specifically for the S&W76. It's basically a suppressor built around a ported barrel, with (I think) about 16 baffles all held in place by the tube. Dr. Dater designed it, but it was sold by Long Mountain Outfitters (Henderson, NV). If I remember correctly, LMO has the exclusive rights and I waited at least 5 years before a batch came up for sale. The contact person is Dan Shea, he just might still have some sitting around in a back room.

What's the going rate for S&W76? Maybe I'll part with mine.

UZI Talk Supporter
    A friend just picked a nice one up at Knob Creek for $12,500.

Ruben Mendiola has 5 S&W 76's left. $13,995.00/ea. I bought mine in 2015 for $9,995.00 (excellent condition) so that tells you what appreciation is doing in the market.

I wouldn't exactly call the S&W76/MK760/SW76/BRP/Stemple a rare gun (although amongst those manufacturers there are certainly degrees of rarity, plus the Swedish K in either C&R or tube built is rare comparatively.) Ruben's had those five S&W76s for a while probably since they are priced at the very top of the market. I believe the current price is about $12k - $10k is a great deal and $14k is very high. I paid $8.5k for mine in the summer of 2016.

Good point, I bought my MK760 for $6200 a year ago and they seem to be in high 7K range now....
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcus99 View Post
    I wouldn't exactly call the S&W76/MK760/SW76/BRP/Stemple a rare gun (although amongst those manufacturers there are certainly degrees of rarity, plus the Swedish K in either C&R or tube built is rare comparatively.) Ruben's had those five S&W76s for a while probably since they are priced at the very top of the market. I believe the current price is about $12k - $10k is a great deal and $14k is very high. I paid $8.5k for mine in the summer of 2016.

I paid $7.5K for my 1st SW76 several years ago and $9K for the 2nd two years ago. They seem to sell in the $12 range now days.

UZI Talk Supporter
    The Machine gun price guide has them at price right around $13k

http://www.machinegunpriceguide.com/html/subguns.html

(Some times I question their numbers)
    WE WON !

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by anm2_man View Post
    The Machine gun price guide has them at price right around $13k

http://www.machinegunpriceguide.com/html/subguns.html

(Some times I question their numbers)
    I think $13k is too high. What are their data points? This is a small market, not many S&W 76's are publicly sold much less the selling price being made publicly available. Report one sale that is exceptionally high and miss a few average sales and the "average" price can be skewed by several thousand dollars. I'm not arguing that's the case with machinegunpriceguide because I have no idea what their figures are compiled from, but it is a potential issue when studying prices for niche collectors markets like these guns.

I paid what I felt was a good price for my S&W76 about two yeara ago. It came with a dozen suomi mags and an aftermarket barrel and shroud too. The downside was that it was a two stamp transfer that took 15 months. The wait didn't matter to me so for me it was a great deal, but for eager buyers seeking more immediare gratification that length of a wait could've been a deal breaker.

13K is a lot but I am sure a good investment....I got the MK760 to shoot the hell out of it...should be fun, but I know the price is going up....

Mk760 tops around 8k

Sw76 around 13k

from what I've seen recently fwiw

For a long time the MK760 was an unappreciated "tube" gun due to the Irvine quality control dip during 86 madness. Nonetheless, there is nothing that can't be fixed. The recent advent of aftermarket parts will increase the value for the entire family. I had the choice between an M3A1 (Medea) or a S&W 76 (wish I could have purchased both). I chose the M3A1, but my buddy picked up the 76. I really enjoy shooting it when we go out.
    Last edited by jolague; 04-21-2018 at 07:38 AM.

I am jealous, I really would love at M3 but I am happy with the MK760 fits in my budget......I am amazed at that class III price increases.....

I agree that it's a lack of parts that hold the S&W76/MK760 back, if anything. If someone were producing a reliable supply of bolts and FCG parts I suspect the family would see increased popularity even though they remain relatively non versatile comparatively. Unfortunately as it stands if you break a bolt your gun will be consigned to safe queen status and you'll spend months (years?) searching for a replacement. I watched for two years and only saw one bolt come up for sale; IIRC ReconOrd sold it for $900 a few months ago at auction on GB.

+ Reply to Thread