UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Magazine oprions for milled receiver M22

UZI Talk Life Member

Magazine oprions for milled receiver M22

I finally got my AK out of NFA jail.

This is a Flemming conversion of a milled receiver M22 (which I believe is the export version of the ChiCom 56).

The magazine well is too tight for PMags, or my eastern block composite mags. I can not even get them fully in the mag well more or less get them to lock in.

So my question, what options for mags do I have other than steel Chinese magazines? Will all steel magazines work or did they change dimensions somewhere down the line? Are there any polymer magazines that will work?

Does anyone have a good source for steel magazines? I have had mixed results with surplus AK mags in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by nklf View Post
    This is a Flemming conversion of a milled receiver M22 (which I believe is the export version of the ChiCom 56).
    The magazine well is too tight for PMags, or my eastern block composite mags. I can not even get them fully in the mag well more or less get them to lock in.
    So my question, what options for mags do I have other than steel Chinese magazines? Will all steel magazines work or did they change dimensions somewhere down the line? Are there any polymer magazines that will work?
    Does anyone have a good source for steel magazines? I have had mixed results with surplus AK mags in the past.
    Please post some pictures! That especially goes for the receiver markings on the left side and right side.
    Here is my circa '65 M22:

As for your original question; don't waste your time on crap, non-original, magazines. Use only Chinese made, no rib, steel magazines. They're currently in the $30 each range. They will fit and work perfectly. I know East European magazines are priced cheaply, but stick with the original stuff and avoid everything else no matter how attractive the pricing may be.

UZI Talk Life Member

Dan, thanks for the info. I'll try and get photos up next week. Headed to a pistol match this evening. The Bulgarian and Romanian steel magazines are not that much cheaper than the Chinese. Of course GunClips is the only place I can find Chinese mags in stock. Probably order a couple to make sure they work before ordering in bulk. Not a lot of experience with the AK platform. Got a Wasr a couple of years ago. Had really low expectations, but was pleasantly surprised. Now that I have shot the M22 I'm not sure why everyone complains abut controllability of the AK in FA.

Dan, thanks for the info. I'll try and get photos up next week. Headed to a pistol match this evening. The Bulgarian and Romanian steel magazines are not that much cheaper than the Chinese. Of course GunClips is the only place I can find Chinese mags in stock. Probably order a couple to make sure they work before ordering in bulk. Not a lot of experience with the AK platform. Got a Wasr a couple of years ago. Had really low expectations, but was pleasantly surprised. Now that I have shot the M22 I'm not sure why everyone complains abut controllability of the AK in FA.
    Your Type 56 M22 won't give you target grade accuracy, but who cares? It's a Chinese AK and that's enough to give you the grande cool factor.

A few years back, at one of our July Fourth MG shoots, a couple ethnic Chinese officers from Houston PD came equipped to play all day. A buddy of mine also has a Chinese Type 56 AK and these two HPD officers only wanted to shoot our AKs. My buddy and I got to play with their M240s and M249s for most of the day. It was a win-win for all involved. You can't beat that with a stick.

Awesome! That's my grail gun right there.

Quote Originally Posted by MG34_Dan View Post
    Please post some pictures! That especially goes for the receiver markings on the left side and right side.
    Here is my circa '65 M22:

As for your original question; don't waste your time on crap, non-original, magazines. Use only Chinese made, no rib, steel magazines. They're currently in the $30 each range. They will fit and work perfectly. I know East European magazines are priced cheaply, but stick with the original stuff and avoid everything else no matter how attractive the pricing may be.
    That rifle is so awesome !!

Any mag should fit your AK. How are the mags not fitting? Is it tight on the sides? or the rear lug? or where?
    Get some surplus military steel mags and give them a try.
    I remember having to modify a mag catch that was too long to latch.

I have found esp in pre ban china coms that a lot of the current lot of plastic AK mags esp Tapco or magpull are too tight I think they make them thicker to work in the open up mag wells

Stick with China com mags imop ..I would track down a nice three hole mag maybe one that has the auto cut out ..Use them ..Really though if a country used the Ak the mags they make should work ..So S korean AK mags are iffy but romy etc are ok

Be awar some metal mags are commerical mags and not all that great

I would not mod the gun at all of course

I collect AK mags esp the China ones ( they are a lot and I mean a lot of variations and types stamped ,milled , different stamping styles ) ..Also if you are looking for good polymore mags the Circle 10 mags tend to be GTG also the Russian AK100 mags though not correct for that type of AK look very nice

Imop what would look nice is a 1950s era slab side mag the one on the right ...While the China coms never use them they are what the Russian use first on the first milled AKs back in the early days ..They look very cool

You will need to hunt for good AK mags check the boards here and the AK files they tend to have nice stuff

... I'll try and get photos up next week. ...
    We are still pensively awaiting some photos.

Beautiful AK. I agree on trying Chinese mags. Chinese mags are correct for that rifle too. Chinese mags come in many flavors, the most common being the “two rib” “flat back”

UZI Talk Life Member

Sorry for not getting the photos up. Too busy at work after getting back in town from my pistol match. I will get them done soon and figure out how to post.

Quote Originally Posted by sweersa View Post
    Beautiful AK. I agree on trying Chinese mags. Chinese mags are correct for that rifle too. Chinese mags come in many flavors, the most common being the “two rib” “flat back”
    Yep ..They are fun to collect ..I can always throw up a few photos of mine if any has question..

Just dont do what I did started out and mixing up Yugo and China mags ..I have learned the china mags have the rib going all the way forward

Sorry for not getting the photos up. Too busy at work after getting back in town from my pistol match. I will get them done soon and figure out how to post.
    Pictures?

UZI Talk Supporter
    Nice AK!!!!!!!!!

Stay Safe,
    Glockdude1.........................

"If War is HELL, Take a better Pitchfork than the DEVIL!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by wrongrecroom View Post
    Yep ..They are fun to collect ..I can always throw up a few photos of mine if any has question..

Just dont do what I did started out and mixing up Yugo and China mags ..I have learned the china mags have the rib going all the way forward
    They do have similarities. I really like the Yugo mags, built like tanks. But I keep my Yugo mags for my Yugo AKs. If I had a Chinese AK, I'd give her Chinese mags too. My most uncommon Chinese mags are the "sino soviet" and the Norinco bakelite. I also have a Polytech chrome follower 3 witness hole mag.

+ Reply to Thread