UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Golani SAR

Golani SAR

Hi, first post to the Galil forum. I recently purchased a Century Arms Golani via an auction. This one has a short barrel- significantly shorter than the 18Ē one on most Galil/Golani Iíve seen. I bought because of the short barrel, but I wanted to ask- did Century build any shorter-barreled gunís? Iím guessing it was built off a SAR parts kit- the space between the hand guard and gas block look much smaller than on a Galil. Itís not an SBR- itís longer that 13Ē, but it came with a pinned-on flash hider to increase the legal barrel length. The flash hider is the 3-pronged style, again much more different than typical Galil fare. I looked around on the web and it seems unique, but I have no idea if this was someoneís mods or a Century thing- it has a Century receiver. Iím waiting to pick it up from my FFL, but Iíll post pictures when itís home.

Thanks!

As far as I know Century never built a SAR model. I could be wrong but I have never heard of one.

Old Sarge

Quote Originally Posted by Suprasonic View Post
    Itís not an SBR- itís longer that 13Ē, but it came with a pinned-on flash hider to increase the legal barrel length.
    I assume you mean 16" with perm'd muzzle device.

FH is probably a Smith Vortex.

It's probably a Golani (AR) that someone chopped.

CAI only made straight ARs and a very few with ARM gas blocks. Hopefully your ejector isn't butter soft like mine was.

Can anyone tell me if there is a difference between Galil semi and full auto bolt carriers?

Quote Originally Posted by Suprasonic View Post
    Can anyone tell me if there is a difference between Galil semi and full auto bolt carriers?
    I've noticed no difference in the bolt or carrier. The difference is in the dis-connector, addition of the lightening link & sear trip (lever that the bolt engages to allow the release of the hammer when in battery)

https://youtu.be/IXbFPs-11NM
    Last edited by FELIX 808; 06-11-2018 at 10:09 AM.

Thanks for your feedback Felix 808. I was looking at Apex Parts for a suitable replacement, and they list different semi and full auto bolt carriers- something about trimming the sear trip off for semi usage. I’m not sure if that means a FA bolt carrier won’t work in a semi or what.

How about safety selectors? My gun seems to have a “double lug” selector that connects up with the left side safety. Gun Parts Co. lists booths single and double lug versions- and of course double lug is sold out. Is it possible to change out just the triangular lever (the thing you touch) out of the assembly?

A full auto carrier will work in a semi auto.

Interesting your selector is double lugged! Is the lower lug connected to a linkage attached to the pistol grip nut?

Yes, the lower lug is connected to the left side safety. Are two lug safeties unique?

Is it possible to just replace the triangular lever and not the whole assembly?

The two lug ones are rarer. So you push the thumb selector forward to fire, and to the rear for safe?

The two lug is how all the factory semi auto rifles that came into the US were.

Thanks Ugh!

I found a two lug selector, which I’ll swap in.

I appreciate all the input.

+ Reply to Thread