UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Subsonic Ammo recommendations?

Question Subsonic Ammo recommendations?

I have a Form 1 pending to SBR my Model B with a 3-lug barrel and a Form 4 pending on an Omega9k. I want to stock up on some subsonic ammo for when I want to "show off" how quiet cans can be (plus ammo today is always cheaper than tomorrow!).

Are there any known ammo issues with suppressed semi-auto Uzis, like issues feeding flat noses?

Rounds that don't like to cycle the action?

Any ammo know to avoid?

Thanks!

Hi,

Not mine:

https://www.sgammo.com/product/imi/1...tary-industrie

works very nicely from the folks that brought you the Uzi !

K2

UZI Talk Life Member
    Now hosting: www.MAC-11.info

Supposedly there are issues with Remington UMC green box being underpowered. Apparently it can and has caused issues with not being powerful enough to cycle the bolt fully, and can allow a UZI to "run away" on you.
    I have had great luck with Fiocci and PPU 158gr. 9mm with my AWC MK9 suppressor. I would assume that the IMI 158's are very similar and would be very nice out of a suppressor. Have used the 158's in the UZI/MK9 flawlessly, also a AR-9, and a GLOCK 17 with a Octane 45HD and had 0 cycling issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Concorde View Post
    Based on price and that it's TMJ I was leaning this way. I have a bunch of this in .45 and it's treated me well. I don't think anyone will notice if my ammo doesn't match my rollmark.

I'm guessing it should cycle okay?

Quote Originally Posted by glockman View Post
    Supposedly there are issues with Remington UMC green box being underpowered. Apparently it can and has caused issues with not being powerful enough to cycle the bolt fully, and can allow a UZI to "run away" on you.
    I have had great luck with Fiocci and PPU 158gr. 9mm with my AWC MK9 suppressor. I would assume that the IMI 158's are very similar and would be very nice out of a suppressor. Have used the 158's in the UZI/MK9 flawlessly, also a AR-9, and a GLOCK 17 with a Octane 45HD and had 0 cycling issues.
    FYI my Uzi is a semi, would it still run away? Not that it matters, I avoid Remington green box ammo like the plague due to how dirty it is, and unreliable in .22 (compared to CCI and others). If I want dirty ammo I'll save money too and get steel cased!

Actually, anyone have any issues with steel cased out of an Uzi? I have over 2k of steel 115gr I shoot in handguns for plinking I'd like to know if there are any Uzi-specific issues with it.

UZI Talk Supporter
    We have a few different flavors that work very well.

https://detroitammoco.com/product-ca...on/pistol/9mm/

UZI Talk Supporter
    i use IMI and ppu 158 grain.

both work well..ppu is not that expensive

UZI Talk Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Concorde View Post
    My M11-9 with Lage upper has no problem with this, but my Vector doesn't really like it at all.

UZI Talk Supporter

Prvi 158's every day of the week...
    https://www.sgammo.com/product/prvi-...an-ammo-pps9mm

Quote Originally Posted by plumber576 View Post
    FYI my Uzi is a semi, would it still run away? Not that it matters, I avoid Remington green box ammo like the plague due to how dirty it is, and unreliable in .22 (compared to CCI and others). If I want dirty ammo I'll save money too and get steel cased!
    I believe that it would in the situation being referenced, as the ammo is believed to be too weak to properly cycle the bolt back far enough to engage the sear, thus allowing it to keep slam firing until the magazine is empty since the sear is not engaging and stopping the bolt from cycling. It is a scary situation when it happens, time to see how you react to unexpected circumstances on the fly....

I believe that it would in the situation being referenced, as the ammo is believed to be too weak to properly cycle the bolt back far enough to engage the sear, thus allowing it to keep slam firing until the magazine is empty since the sear is not engaging and stopping the bolt from cycling. It is a scary situation when it happens, time to see how you react to unexpected circumstances on the fly....
    I will keep that in mind, thanks for the heads up.

Quote Originally Posted by chipster View Post
    Prvi 158's every day of the week...
    https://www.sgammo.com/product/prvi-...an-ammo-pps9mm
    Thanks for the recommendation. Are the 158gr bullets with the extra ~$90 compared to 147gr?

I tried 147gr magtech and it goes transonic in my uzi sbr. Works ok in a Glock tho Fwiw.

Quote Originally Posted by Mackjack View Post
    I tried 147gr magtech and it goes transonic in my uzi sbr. Works ok in a Glock tho Fwiw.
    NO too sure what trassonic means.... Not too sure that I want to know these days. LOL!!!!

I can tell the difference in the 158's out of my UZI/MK9 on a 10" barrel. Would I say they are a $90 difference, no. Not unless you are on a quest for THE quietest manufactured ammo you can find. A quick way for me to tell the difference was I picked up a box of 158's, and proceeded to load up 10 147's followed by 10 158's in a mag. Then I did a mag dump to see if I could tell when the ammo changes, and I did notice a difference. So I bought a case of 158's and now they sit in my ammo dump as I shoot up case after case of 115's and 147's that I get for half the cost...

NO too sure what trassonic means.... Not too sure that I want to know these days. LOL!!!!

I can tell the difference in the 158's out of my UZI/MK9 on a 10" barrel. Would I say they are a $90 difference, no. Not unless you are on a quest for THE quietest manufactured ammo you can find. A quick way for me to tell the difference was I picked up a box of 158's, and proceeded to load up 10 147's followed by 10 158's in a mag. Then I did a mag dump to see if I could tell when the ammo changes, and I did notice a difference. So I bought a case of 158's and now they sit in my ammo dump as I shoot up case after case of 115's and 147's that I get for half the cost...
    It means some round crack the sound barrier down range after they pick up speed and some don't

UZI Talk Supporter

Thanks for the recommendation. Are the 158gr bullets with the extra ~$90 compared to 147gr?
    Personally I found the answer to be 'yes', but also augmented 158 factory with a handload of the 165gr Xtreme to shave costs.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mackjack View Post
    It means some round crack the sound barrier down range after they pick up speed and some don't
    Pick up speed? Muzzle velocity is the fastest a bullet will go (according to that Newton guy).
    When in doubt, empty the magazine.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MunsonMan View Post
    Pick up speed? Muzzle velocity is the fastest a bullet will go (according to that Newton guy).
    Yes basic physics the slug begins to slow down as soon as it leaves the barrel. The “boom” may seem further down range because when you’re the shooter you are generally hearing refracted sound.

Quote Originally Posted by MunsonMan View Post
    Yea. Your right.

I think.

I just know That's what it sounds

UZI Talk Supporter
    Based on price and that it's TMJ I was leaning this way. I have a bunch of this in .45 and it's treated me well. I don't think anyone will notice if my ammo doesn't match my rollmark.

I'm guessing it should cycle okay?

Actually, anyone have any issues with steel cased out of an Uzi? I have over 2k of steel 115gr I shoot in handguns for plinking I'd like to know if there are any Uzi-specific issues with it.
    Just a personal preference, but I don't shoot steel cases in anything, even AKs.
    I had a Norinco "Uzi" that would eat anything except Aluminum CCI ammo, it would rip the bullet out the side of the case and dump powder into the mag every single time. Even when I tried to cycle it by hand.

+ Reply to Thread