UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Longest wait from approval to stamp in the mail

UZI Talk Life Member

You're actually copying a CANCELLED stamp on a form, not a live stamp. The cancelled stamp would have no value to the government any more.

UZI Talk Supporter
    I read on one site that many postage stamp auctions use 3/4 scale photos to avoid being in violation of the postage copy law, very interesting stuff. Learn something new everyday, or at least try to right.
    God, Family, Guns.....Life is Good! ROMANS 10:9-10

To answer the original question, I still haven't received my May 1 stamp on a m11/9. I ordered a certified copy on June 2 and got it a few days ago. Maybe the original will turn up eventually, but given that it's been 51 days and I got to take my gun home anyways, I'm not too concerned.

UZI Talk Supporter
    after waiting 7.5 months its painful to have waited another 4 weeks for a stamp and most likely wait another 15-30 days after that for a certified copy....i guess ive always been lucky in the past with 5-7 days and a stamp shows up.

wonder how resale some day is w/o a stamp...id suspect a person to person deal would always be questioned by a buyer...i know id feel uneasy buying a gun that doesnt have a form 4 w/ a stamp on it.

got my seller signed letter ready to go to get a my certified copy...its going in the mail in 2 days.....it should arrive at the atf on day 30.....
    Last edited by Battering ram NIB; 06-20-2018 at 01:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Battering ram NIB View Post
    after waiting 7.5 months its painful to have waited another 4 weeks for a stamp and most likely wait another 15-30 days after that for a certified copy....i guess ive always been lucky in the past with 5-7 days and a stamp shows up.

wonder how resale some day is w/o a stamp...id suspect a person to person deal would always be questioned by a buyer...i know id feel uneasy buying a gun that doesnt have a form 4 w/ a stamp on it.

got my seller signed letter ready to go to get a my certified copy...its going in the mail in 2 days.....it should arrive at the atf on day 30.....
    I bought individual to individual in state, and the stamp was sent to the seller (never showed up). After the 30 day mark, I requested a certified copy, and had it sent to my home address rather than his. It showed up 2.5 weeks later and we met up to do the transfer. The certified copy has a raised seal on it with a signature and date of processing to add authenticity to it. If a future buyer questions it, you could probably call the ATF to "check the status of a form 4" while on speaker with the buyer, and confirm that it's registered to you. I'm not ever planning on selling it, short of bankruptcy or a trade into something mind-blowing, so it's not at the top of my priority list.

It was a bit odd to me though, since my next longest stamp was 10 days from approval to mailbox, but at this point I'm just rolling with the punches and enjoying my gun now that it's here.

Also, you don't have to mail it, I spoke with Melissa at ATF on the phone and ended up e-faxing it, didn't even require sellers signature. Just scan in your "request" with the serial number, the phrase "request a certified copy of the Form 4 Application to Transfer and Register a Firearm (5320.4)" the transferree (you) address where the copy will be sent, and the new owner's (you) signature. Then email that scanned PDF to nfafax@atf.gov

UZI Talk Supporter
    thanks much...ill do that!!...im sending both...email from me, letter from seller....see which gets the copy 1st

saw one old post where a stamp showed up at 9 months
    Last edited by Battering ram NIB; 06-20-2018 at 08:30 PM.

UZI Talk Supporter
    Called atf today to check status on a different gun. I asked if I could talk to the inspector that did my Mac. I also asked the same question last week and got the same answer. No. When there was an issue with an approval most of them connected me directly with the inspector. Today she verified that the buyer could request the form 4 copy and that the fax number or by mail would work

Hoping to see a form 4 copy by the end of next week (Sigh). So frustrating.

I've always worried this would happen to me with my luck. Thankfully it hasn't. I just got a stamp back yesterday it took exactly 7 WORKING DAYS.

Hopefully, it will show up eventually but the certified copy will do.

UZI Talk Supporter
    I’m at 33 days now. Odds are it’s not coming.

Another of mine was approved 5 days ago and I’m hoping to see it this week yet or early next

UZI Talk Supporter
    got my form 4 today...no stamp.....just a photo copy...they didnt even run it through the copy machine straight

6.5 weeks from approval....2.5 weeks since i sent an email to their fax email provided above.....

im a very impatient person...ive learned to handle 7-10 months waiting for approval...i have NOT learned to handle 6.5 weeks until i get a copy in the mail....one of the most irritating things...you wait, you wait, your wait....hurrah its approved...then the stamp gets lost.

UZI Talk Life Member

I bought a suppressor from an out of state dealer who was shutting down. For what ever reason he could not e-file the form 3 so he files paper. Purchased it February 18th. End of May, I'm impatient so I contact him to check on it. BATF had sent it back because he messed up the model name. I check with him again in late June and find out it's approved and just waiting on form to show up in mail. I check with him again this week and still no form 3. So we are requesting a certified copy. We'll see how long this takes. It will probably end up being over 6 months from purchase before I can even start my Form 4 process.

I'm normally pretty patient about these things, but this one is annoying. I have had out of state Form 4s to my dealer process faster than this.

UZI Talk Supporter
    i know someone else just this month that had to request a certified copy...so this is a common issue....

i still think the seller tosses it by accident some of the time

YOU request the form and email it in...you will have it in 2-2.5 weeks

issue is not as uncommon as you'd think

+ Reply to Thread