UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 3

Thread: 9mm upper

To be clear, the Colt 9mm system is strictly blow back. So there needs there needs to be enough mass to hold the bolt closed during the high pressure phase. So a heavy buffer is required. If not the shell can move back enough that the pressure within the shell, without the support of the chamber, can can cause the side of the shell to rupture. That is why the Colt 9mm buffer is so heavy.

Mean Arms makes two versions of the EndoMag. One with an ejector for the Colt blow back system and one without an ejector for the CMMG Guard system. I have run the Colt blow back system for years trying to get it close to the function of my HK sear with a clone. My brother has had great success so far with the Guard system. So much so that he has given up using his converted 94 he has been using for years for matches and using the complete Guard system with Glock mags. I have ordered four sets of 3 EndoMags for the Guard system for myself.

Scott

UZI Talk Supporter
    i wrote cmmg as i just found it....on their website they say it may not work

also wondering if it works with the new mags

they should come out with a 9mm kit with mags, etc...drop in on any AR or M16

I've shot a Spikes 9mm billet upper on a SS M16 and the recoil is crazy snappy. I've tried both Colt with Spikes magwell adapter and Glock mags using the Stern Defense magwell adapter.

UZI Talk Supporter
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dm1fcrGn5VU

im sold...going to get a guard upper and the 3 endomags to try out

now to decide on a color...for $100 ill grab a burnt bronze

looks like the guard fixes all the issues beating on the m16 pins

UZI Talk Life Member

UZI Talk Supporter
    didnt those come out in the 2000's??? someone with a time machine again registering m16's 15-20 years later?

CMMG wrote me back today and give no function guarantee on the 9mm guard and a m16

they would guarantee the blowback upper though

im going to wait until i see more of these on youtube before i buy one. Im guessing other companies will copy cmmg and come out with their own delayed blowback versions too.

It is my understanding that Colt made the first run of 100 9mm subguns just before the '86 cut off. I think that would be one of the rarest M16 variants.

Scott

UZI Talk Supporter
    thats assuming those 100 were registered.....none might have been

i would assume this is one of those post 86 colts that made it in by magic....doesnt make it any less rare to me...but still funny business at play here most likely.

i dont know the 9mm colt history..shocked to hear it goes back to 1986

i would have guessed 2000+ as i never heard of them back then

Quote Originally Posted by Battering ram NIB View Post
    i would assume this is one of those post 86 colts that made it in by magic....doesnt make it any less rare to me...but still funny business at play here most likely.
    I saw them back in '86 while working at the Honolulu Police Department.

Quote Originally Posted by Battering ram NIB View Post

You are certainly entitled to your opinion. Colt registered 100 9mm M16 subguns before May '86. They are transferable. According to Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colt_9mm_SMG Started in 1982. I thought it was early '86. That is why there is only 100 transferable 9mm subguns made sense to me. The Colt 9mm subguns were in response to the success of the HK MP5. Colt's policy for selling M16s was that they only wanted wanted them sold to L.E. Agencies. So if a dealer bought a case of ten and two were sold to individuals, Colt would only replace eight. So because Colt won't replace the M16s to individuals, most dealers would want a big premium.

Scott

UZI Talk Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishman View Post
    It should. I have a 45 guard. The bolt carrier might need modification
    i saw 1 post somewhere that said just that...needed a bit of filing to make it work...ive got a very expensive m16a2....cant risk it just to try 9mm until i see others doing the same

Hi BNIB,

Colt SMG's do exist in the registry. Receiver is marked (you guessed it) "SMG". A few things on the SMG. They used different fire control pins, specifically the hammer pin. I think one is for sale on Surm. Note the pins are not blued. They are in the white. While the SMG is not smooth, they do work.

There are several knowledgeable folks testing the CMMG Guard/Endo-MEAN combo. Keep a watch on the boards for the results (spring, buffer, ammo preference). There is video on youtube showing the Guard with the Endo. Short burst but the ejection and feeding looks great. If you have uppers forgings and free float handguard, you can buy the Guard in an 8" barrel and bolt for about $400 from CMMG. MEAN indicates they will sell the conversion parts for the Colt/Glock system (ejector is on the Endo mag) or they remove the ejector for the Guard system (Ejector is in the bolt).

The 16/9 is not even close to my favorite subbie. That said I may try the CMMG/MEAN myself if it looks promising. Probably build a 16" as I can use it on whatever lower is lying about. For the F/A I'll likely dial it in on a postie as the RR transferables are quite dear.

Nice thing with the MEAN mag system is the swap from 223/22LR/9mm is just pushing pins and swapping magazines. I'm still looking for the 700 RPM 22LR upper as the normal 900-1000 RPM is too fast for my old bones.

Good Luck,

Grasshopper

+ Reply to Thread