UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: mp40 stamp came

UZI Talk Life Member

I see a new show on outdoor channel coming. From POS to LNIB! Just kidding. Despite what you started with it’s looking and running good now. Some times the guns you build from POS and parts kits are more satisfying than NIB. Of course some time they are more frustrating too.
    Other than a Mac M11/Nine I think you now have the cheap smgs covered.

UZI Talk Supporter
    got a m11a1 coming any day...not getting a m11/9......and YES ive got all the cheap guns....not buying a mk760 or Reising....ive actually been focusing on them....said it many times...i get as much joy (or more) from a mac 10 as i do from a Thompson...the cheap guns are just as much fun to me....i have to say this mp40 may be my favorite gun right now......if it had a red dot it probably would be(im not putting a red dot on it)...... i paid $11,750 for it....less than an Uzi...

gun always ran...ran even with a firing pin broke in 1/2 and bent.......all the fixes i did were just making it look better and tightening up things......it does run smoother now than when i first got it though...odd...its got a new bolt/firing pin/barrel....spring is the same....inside the tube is the same...but its noticeably less clunky running...mobile 1 on the bolt...could be the difference

runs on 115 and 124 grain also....many say theirs only runs on 124 grain ammp

the mp40 is simple to understand....ive seen people post about how parts are not interchangeable....and i have to agree...i found tolerances of parts to be off just a tiny bit....ive got 2 spare bolts....one NOS runs great....1 is in ''good'' condition and it is just slightly larger and catches inside the gun....a FPB bolt runs like sandpaper through the gun....just a bit larger yet.....ive got a couple barrels...the nos one im running wouldnt go into my receiver..too tight...wouldnt go into my parts kit receiver also...had to sand down a bit to go in smoothly...not much..but a bit....had 5 barrel thread protectors and 3 barrels....only 1 of those barrel protectors would fit my barrel...each one would fit 1 barrel and not the others....so im a believer that these guns are very,very close to being interchangeable like a thompson, but slight tweaking may be needed.....you may not have been able to grab parts off your dead friends gun on the battle field and toss them into your gun....not without sand paper

the POS to LNIB conversion could be like the DIY channel with houses...maybe Ted Nugent as the host?...FLIP THIS GUN would be a good name

sadly they would never run out of POS guns to convert....gunsmiths 6-18 months out right now proves that point....
    Last edited by Battering ram NIB; 07-08-2018 at 11:57 AM.

UZI Talk Supporter
    I like it

UZI Talk Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Battering ram NIB View Post
    got this for probably 33% less than going price(german receiver), but it was a fixer upper..been working on it at home for months...finally got my stamp and had some further welding work done on it by a friend...it worked on 2 occasions before i swapped the bolt/barrel out on it (charging handle flew off the bolt and barrel was a repro originally)....taking it out this afternoon to function test it

its going out for a hot dip blue redo end of the month...going to make it all match and look brand new

Respectfully, may I ask how you were able to work on it "at home" before getting the Stamp?

Wow! Looks like you really have improved that MP-40. Great job!

only the barrel is original finish and even that i had to sand down the chamber end a bit so it would slide into the receiver....nothing is original....nothing to wreck...its all been done many years ago...the tube has some light rust starting inside it....ive cold blued most of it to clean it up....

if it were original i would agree..leave it....but sadly this guy who made my gun bought the cheapest parts kit he could...if parts kits were $50, he paid $25....

its a remanufactured gun....an original german tube, but cut/welded....its not a C&R

but i guess thanks for the compliment on my cold bluing!!!.....ive learned how to do it pretty well

heres some pics of the tube starting with a beatup tube and moving through its refinish...notice the worn breech pin slot i had rewelded

UZI Talk Supporter
    worked on everything except the tube....the tub was just a few hours once i got it....weld the slot and refinish

UZI Talk Supporter
    worked on everything except the tube....the tub was just a few hours once i got it....weld the slot and refinish
    Ok, i was thinking you meant the whole gun vs parts.

UZI Talk Supporter
    i had that gun stripped down to nothing

just a bare tube left at the dealer

UZI Talk Supporter
    i had that gun stripped down to nothing

just a bare tube left at the dealer
    That makes sense. It looks good.

It always feels good to get a gun running yourself. I bought a couple of stripped Jersey Arms M10/45 clone receivers and built them up with parts kits. I always enjoy shooting them because of all the work I did to get them running. Enjoy yours, it looks great.

Ar-15 Guru, Uzi Novice
    Very cool, even has an early non ribbed magazine well. Love the deep lustrous blue you got on that!

UZI Talk Supporter
    yep its a 1940 steyr kit...which i understand is somewhat rare...i put it in the mp40 registry and even the guy who does the website says it was rare....its a parts gun but the main parts all match...just not the barrel, stock, bolt....they are different #'s

thanks for the compliments....

Ar-15 Guru, Uzi Novice
    yep its a 1940 steyr kit...which i understand is somewhat rare...i put it in the mp40 registry and even the guy who does the website says it was rare....its a parts gun but the main parts all match...just not the barrel, stock, bolt....they are different #'s

thanks for the compliments....
    Not familiar with the MP40 registry...got a link?

We are working on a post sample for the shop (mixmaster) but I know the history of the receiver tube and would be good to share that info for future generations.

UZI Talk Supporter
    http://www.mp40.nl/index.php?page=serial-database

Alex is a good guy...he has helped me a bunch on my project...he also has some parts for sale...i bought my bakelite from him....very,very nice condition- original w/ red tint for a reasonable price....

ive sent him all of my progress over the past 8 months

http://www.mp40.nl/index.php?page=serial-database

Alex is a good guy...he has helped me a bunch on my project...he also has some parts for sale...i bought my bakelite from him....very,very nice condition- original w/ red tint for a reasonable price....

ive sent him all of my progress over the past 8 months
    Neat website

UZI Talk Supporter
    alex might be the most hard core mp40 collector out there!!

+ Reply to Thread