UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: FNC Headspace question

FNC Headspace question

Guys-
    I'm hoping someone can help me out. I bought a set of Clymer .223 Go/Nogo and 5.56 Max/Min headspace gauges. They work great on several AR's, an Austrian AUG, and an IMI Galil.

Why don't they work on FNC's? I tried this on three different FNC's, including one I have taken out and fired with no issues. In all three cases, the bolt refuses to close on the Go gauges. Is it a difference between CIP and SAAMI chamber dimensions? I asked PACO recently and hope to hear back but I am at a loss.

Does anyone have any specifics on FNC chamber dimensions? Maybe someone has drawings of the upper and lower receiver with dimensions?

Also- Is there a reason Howco's seem to be more expensive than Steyr or Gunsouth FNC's?

Here you go

mini 37.89mm
    Maxi 38.11
    reject 38.15mm

I wanted to report back what I have learned to the group and ask for more help.

Does anyone have a true Belgian MIN headspace gauge I could buy or even rent? I have determined they are VERY different from the gauges on the US market.

After this thread started I bought a 5.56 min gauge built to CIP specs made by a well known US gauge company. Two of the three FNC's failed to close on the CIP gauge EVEN THOUGH IT IS SHORTER. Here are the dimensions of all the gauges I know about so far:

Dimensions for Gauges available on American market

SAAMI

.223 Go 1.4636" = 37.17544mm

.223 No Go 1.4696" = 37.32784mm

.223 Field 1.4736" = 37.42944mm- Interesting point- this is the same dimension as the Clymer 5.56 MAX gauge

CIP

.223 Min 1.4634" = 37.17036mm

.223 Max 1.4673" =37.26942mm

Dimensions for Belgian gauges

Min 37.89mm= 1.4917"

Max 38.15mm=1.5019"

The Belgian MIN gauge length is .72mm or .028" longer than the CIP min gauge. This is a substantial difference in length between the two.

Are the Belgian gauge dimensions listed as the overall length of the gauge as opposed to a measurement to a point on the case shoulder as American gauges are? This would explain the difference in length and why they refuse to close.
    Last edited by planemarty; 07-30-2018 at 12:26 PM. Reason: adding details

drop me a mail...

+ Reply to Thread