UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Non-reciprocating charging handle for M11/9?

Non-reciprocating charging handle for M11/9?

I have a side charging upper. I'd like to get the grey ghost charging handle for it if it would fit. Anyone know if it's possible to get just the charging mechanism fir one? I've seen Practical Solutions had something similar listed but I've never seen it in stock.

UZI Talk Life Member
    What a coincidence. I finished CAD designing a drop in replacement for the MPA and USMG style uppers last night.

You swap over your handle pieces. I wasn't intending to sell it, I was just making it for myself. I loaded it to shapeways and the 3 pieces would cost me $65 to make in steel. Can't have it CNC'd because they'd want a run of at least 100. Not really worth offering for sale as I couldn't mark it up much (if anything) and I don't really care to have cash tied up.

I'm having a set of plastic pieces made up to double check fitment then I'll have them printed in steel. If it works out I'll let you know and might have another set made for you.

Wow, thank you. That would be great.

So this would use a spring to keep the charging handle forward and out of the way? If so,I would be interested too. I have an mos side charger, that I would be wanting to do this to...

UZI Talk Life Member
    Yes it has a spring and slider that wants to push the handle forward.

Here’s a larger picture. The green plug at the back is pinned in place once the blue slider and spring are installed.

The spring tube up top is canted to one side for clearance.

Put me down for one too then...

UZI Talk Life Member
    Okay ordered sls nylon from Shapeways to make sure everything is perfect. No sense blowing $77 (actual cost) on steel which for some reason canít be even knicked with a file and destroys milling machine endmills. Not sure WTF kind of steel it is but itís atomic bomb proof. So if I want to adjust fitment Iíd have to buy brass (cost more) or aluminum (cost more still) or... just use nylon which is cheap ($17 shipped).

The measurements are dead on as far as compared to the unit on my USMG upper. Ships to me July 19th. Iím excited.

Did you check with Sam at Practical Solutions for the cost of the parts? Sam makes a similar unit. I had him convert a couple of side cocking uppers with his spring return units.

Scott

UZI Talk Life Member
    I checked with him a few years ago as I already had the usmg upper and asked about the return. He didn’t sell it separate because it had to be fitted.

UZI Talk Life Member
    I guess imitation is the best form of flattery. That looks a lot like what we have been making for ten years.
    Sam Schneider
    Practical Solutions
    410-404-0320
    http://www.practicalpage.com

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

UZI Talk Life Member
    Pretty cool. I’ve never seen a picture of yours sitting by itself. Didn’t notice a finger sitting behind the handle on any of your uppers. I just guessed yours was internal.

Do you now offer just the parts to save me any further hassle?

UZI Talk Life Member
    Yes. Let me know what style you need. Most uppers will require some fitting but the screw holes will all match up. You will need different mounting screws as well.
    Sam Schneider
    Practical Solutions
    410-404-0320

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

UZI Talk Life Member
    Well damn! All that trouble for nothing. I took for granted what you said years ago was the same today.

Curious to see what my nylon parts look like. Will get them and see if itís a direct drop in, which I trust they will be. If so Iíll just order them in steel and be done (and be proud I made my own). If not, well... guess Iíll ask you hat in hand.

Sam, I am wanting the spring loaded charging handle piece for a MSA m11 side charging upper. Do I just need to call you to order the parts?

UZI Talk Life Member
    You can call, email or text. We’re easy
    Sam Schneider
    Practical Solutions
    410-404-0320

UZI Talk Life Member
    I'll text.
    Last edited by MDG; 07-12-2018 at 06:49 PM.

+ Reply to Thread