UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: new to me Sten MK2 shorty Stemple

UZI Talk Supporter
    I thought about a threaded barrel but because of the short throw and no buffer id think 158grain subsonic would bottom out. When i watch the video that bolt handle comes back pretty far

Thanks to all for the positive reviews

UZI Talk Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Battering ram NIB View Post

Form 4 was overall measurement at 30"

Whats a normal sten measure?
    The normal overall length depends on the kind of butt stock that’s fitted to the gun. 29” to 30” is normal for a bog standard Sten.

Your “skeleton” stock looks like a No3 Mk2. IIRC, it’s one of the longest.

Even with the long stock, I doubt your shorty is 30”.

I thought about a threaded barrel but because of the short throw and no buffer id think 158grain subsonic would bottom out. When i watch the video that bolt handle comes back pretty far
    If you want to suppress it, get a Mk2 “S” type suppressor. It replaces the normal barrel assembly. You just screw it on like the normal barrel nut. The suppressor barrel is ported and keeps 115gr from reaching Mach1. 147gr and 158gr are front yard quiet. Not a lot energy, but your just killing paper.

UZI Talk Supporter
    where do i find these suppressors for sale? does someone make them right now?

i know about them from researching sterlings...sounds like the same thing...very cool and yes i would be interested....does it speed things up or cause the bolt to travel further back?

Battering Ram, the serial number on the bolt is random. John Stemple had a variety of bolts in his scrap pile back in the day and one didn't make a difference from the next, so the serial number came as is when John acquired them. Interestingly enough, there was a time in John's life where a lot of his inventory and spare bots were seized. Many of his spare Sten, 76, and other spare bolts had their faces welded shut once returned.

UZI Talk Life Member

where do i find these suppressors for sale? does someone make them right now?
    Try KGB Armament http://kgbarms.com/ Andy was making them a while back. The baffles are crude, but effective. No change in point of impact. Slightly slower and the bolt doesn’t travel back as much. The ports in the barrel vent off a lot of gas. If Andy is not making them, try John Andrewski. He will know where to find one.

UZI Talk Supporter
    May need to get in touch with Cofferfreak and convince him to make a Tungsten bolt; STEN is, after all in the word Tung-STEN. That may be the selling point!

UZI Talk Supporter
    I contacted kgb. He responded right away

Price is about what i had expected

I asked a few questions about how my shorty would react to this suppressor. No response yet

UZI Talk Life Member

Check with John Andrewski too. He is the best for Sten and Sterling tube guns. IMHO, nobody comes close to John. I’ve only been around these guns for five decades + and he’s the best I’ve seen.

I contacted kgb. He responded right away

Price is about what i had expected

I asked a few questions about how my shorty would react to this suppressor. No response yet
    Joe at Curtis Tactical built my Sten Mk. II-S integral silencer. It's still pending at my dealer, but I was extremely impressed by Joe's design, construction, price, and communication. I wasn't impressed with KGB's baffle design, but his communication was very good. If you go with KGB, I think you'll be happy, but I would really take a hard look at Curtis Tactical.

Joe uses shielded K baffles, which is a huge upgrade in my view. I have an MP5SD (semi), and it gets dirty fast due to the ported barrel. For a full-auto SMG with a ported barrel, I think shielded baffles are a must have.

http://curtistactical.com/index.html

I'll post a review of mine once I can take it home and shoot it.

UZI Talk Supporter
    contacted Joseph to see about his option..he emailed me back quickly....checked out his website...thanks for the lead....curious to see how his costs differ along w/ his design

how long was he to get the silencer made and shipped?

his website is impressive

im still concerned about needing a weight reduction on the bolt...its something id prefer not to get into....how does yours run w/ your normal bolt?

UZI Talk Life Member
    contacted Joseph to see about his option..he emailed me back quickly....checked out his website...thanks for the lead....curious to see how his costs differ along w/ his design

im still concerned about needing a weight reduction on the bolt...its something id prefer not to get into....how does yours run w/ your normal bolt?

I think a bronze bolt would work?
    If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.-Ronald Reagan

UZI Talk Supporter
    isnt the bronze heavier?

isnt my issue wanting to make the bolt lighter to use 115 grain?

pic of his setup
    Last edited by Battering ram NIB; 08-08-2018 at 07:55 PM.

Mine was the first/second one he made, along with the one for himself, so it was a while...I want to say 3 months? But I wouldn't take that as being representative of how long future silencers will take. And I was waiting for the stamp on the Sten itself at the time, so I wasn't in a rush. My transfer should be approved in about two months.

Mine runs great, around a steady 600-650 RPM from the sound of it. From what I've heard, it's not necessary to use a lightened bolt, but if you do, John Andrewski is the way to go. When I can shoot it in Mk. II-S form, I'll have my spare bolt lightened if the gun cycles too softly. According to Peter Laidler's book, there was no set weight for a lightened bolt, and they were just lightened "as needed", if they were lightened at all. The return spring could also be shortened.

The bronze bolt is easier to machine down than the steel bolt, but isn't necessary for a Mk. II-S.

UZI Talk Life Member

Steel bolts and aluminum bronze bolts have the same weight. The difference is the steel bolt has a hollow spigot (the part at the back of the bolt) and it’s solid on the aluminum bronze bolt, to make up for the lighter alloy.

Two ways to lighten an aluminum bronze bolt are drilling out the spigot or “dog boning” it.

The only good use for the aluminum bronze bolts is in the suppressed guns. And it’s not a good idea to use semi-auto with them because the tripping lever can damage them.

They also don’t ring like a bell when the mag is empty.

http://curtistactical.com/index.html Nice!!!!!!!!

At my dealer:

I asked Joe to match the color of the silencer to the typical Sten gray instead of black, he did a fantastic job.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Looks amazing!!!!!Nice pistol grip/stock!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralPurpose View Post
    At my dealer:

I asked Joe to match the color of the silencer to the typical Sten gray instead of black, he did a fantastic job.
    If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.-Ronald Reagan

UZI Talk Life Member

Wow! That’s an awesome looking Sten!!! Very nice clean look.

Thank you both! I love the way it came out. It has a SOPMOD stock and a BCM grip, all made possible by komodoj's adapter. It transforms the gun, making it much more enjoyable.

+ Reply to Thread