UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: DIAS and MCS

UZI Talk Life Member

DIAS and MCS

Has anyone tried installing a RDIAS into the Windham Weaponry MCS Rifle system? They are the only ones making a modular mag well right now that I can find. I have not idea if it has a low shelf or if this will take extensive mill work to fit. But the idea of having the 4 caliber capability in one rifle for the DIAS is appealing. However it is a lot to spend on an AR if I can't make it work.

So for those with more experience, what are my possibilities of making this to work with out spending a fortune on custom gunsmithing? Or is there a better option out there?

FFL/SOT
    UZI Talk Life Member
    Not the MCS, but I have with the MGI. On the MGI I glued a small AL. shim on the right side of the receiver because their was a lot of slop with the dias installed. No big deal and works fine
    Chris Hipes
    Hipes Consulting Services LLC
    FFL/SOT 07/02
    poulan10takethisoutsoidonotgetmorespam@yahoo.com
    North Texas

The website for MGI is https://www.mgi-military.com/ if you are interested. They are hard to find but MGI made a few very cool magwells for various applications. In the past they made a 5.45X39 AK, Grease Gun, and large frame Glock, magwells I don't have a 5.45X39, but I thought about converting one of my 7.62X39 magwells, just to complete the set. I have the other two. I modified the GG magwell for use with the CMMG .45 ACP Guard upper. The mag needs to be 0.010" lower than it would for a standard blow back upper. The early MGI standard AR magwells were thicker than standard. I had one of those magwells custom fitted to use modified Thompson 30 rd mags using a modified 9mm drop in magwell conversion for a .45 DI upper I have. Since the Thompson mag has a last round hold open tab on the follower, there is linkage to activate the bolt catch.

Having a Valkyrie Armaments belt fed conversion, I had a standard MGI AR magwell and an MGI upper modified for use with the Valkyrie system. I also had three 14.5" heavy fluted barrels with chrome lining retro fitted with the Ares piston conversion. Each piston, op rod and spring stays with the barrel. So dump a 200 SAW box, pull the barrel, and do it again. I have a DIAS also so the MGI system has great appeal. That is a low shelf lower. Since Windham Weaponry used to be Bushmaster and Bushmaster was low shelf when they were based in Windham, ME, I would think the Windham Weaponry would be low shelf. Drop them an email to be sure. All my MGI lowers are low shelf as Chili has mentioned.

It is sad that history repeats itself. The Thompson submachinegun was less than $40 each made by Colt in 1921-1922 when Thompson ordered 15,000 guns. Auto Ordinance retail price started out at $175. Auto Ordinance still had inventory of those original Colt Thompson gun in 1938 when the company was taken over by McGuire Industries. Thompson wanted too much money per gun. I think the concept of the modular magwell is very cool, but at $524 for the lower with one magwell and each of the three magwells are $275 each is ridiculous. $275 can buy you a complete standard, 9mm or 7.62X39 lower. The system is great for a DIAS owner, but too expensive for a semi auto owner because a complete lower can be had for less than the cost of the magwell. YMMV.

Scott

UZI Talk Life Member
    I haven't held one in my hands, but looking at videos it *appears* that the MCS is a low-shelf configuration. A simple call to Windham tech support should answer the question for you.
    Now hosting: www.MAC-11.info

+ Reply to Thread