$vboptions[bbtitle]
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Replacing Baffles

UZI Talk Supporter

Replacing Baffles

If one builds a silencer (properly registered and the tube marked) and it SUCKS, can the baffles legally be removed, destroyed, and replaced with newly made baffles/monocore (this assumes the old baffles/monocore/steel wool/rubber wipes/whatever, were destroyed before the replacement(s) were made/purchased/
    possessed).
    My understanding of current Regs is that, on Form 1 (if you "Roll Your Own")you must list manufacturer info and OAL on the tube, but nothing about the "internals" is required.
    Last edited by sniperdoc; 08-18-2018 at 01:55 AM.

Short answer, no.

What's the long answer? Because I am curious as my cats, and want to learn: What's the (legal) difference from the above scenario to throwing away a bad FA bolt from a RR Uzi, and replacing it with a different one?

Dieter

Pretty sure you have to have it rebuilt by a SOT.

FFL/SOT
    UZI Talk Life Member
    Individuals cannot make replacement suppressor parts. Primary reason is that each suppressor part is considered a suppressor in itself. So you are not allowed to have extra parts. Wipes being the exception, unless that has changed again
    Chris Hipes
    Hipes Consulting Services LLC
    FFL/SOT 07/02
    poulan10takethisoutsoidonotgetmorespam@yahoo.com
    North Texas

UZI Talk Life Member
    ^ not allowed to have wipes either anymore. Wipes have to be replaced by a SOT.

Damned bureaucrats can change rules on a whim.

FFL/SOT
    UZI Talk Life Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hey... View Post
    ^ not allowed to have wipes either anymore. Wipes have to be replaced by a SOT.

Damned bureaucrats can change rules on a whim.
    I have heard thst, but have not seen or heard any proof yet.
    Chris Hipes
    Hipes Consulting Services LLC
    FFL/SOT 07/02
    poulan10takethisoutsoidonotgetmorespam@yahoo.com
    North Texas

UZI Talk Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by chili17 View Post
    Individuals cannot make replacement suppressor parts. Primary reason is that each suppressor part is considered a suppressor in itself. So you are not allowed to have extra parts. Wipes being the exception, unless that has changed again
    I can understand the "no extra parts", which is why I stipulated destruction of the old parts first.
    Too bad, it would be great for builders; it would allow upgrading as technology advances.

Just send it out to get jailbreaked/upgraded to a newer baffle stack

Quote Originally Posted by sniperdoc View Post
    If one builds a silencer (properly registered and the tube marked) and it SUCKS, can the baffles legally be removed, destroyed, and repkaced witg newly made baffles/monocore (this assumes the old baffles/monocore/steel wool/rubber wipes/whatever, were destroyed before the replacement(s) were made/purchased/
    possessed).
    My understanding of current Regs is that, on Form 1 (if you "Roll Your Own")you must list manufacturer info and OAL on the tube, but nothing about the "internals" is required.
    From what I understand, Yes, you can.
    The Form 1 as you know is a permission slip to build a silencer. YOU determine when the silencer is complete.
    If you put in baffles that don't work properly, then you can destroy them and make new baffles until you find ones that work. You are the only person qualified to determine if the silencer is performing as it should.

UZI Talk Supporter

Semper Vigilo
    Quote Originally Posted by sniperdoc View Post
    If one builds a silencer (properly registered and the tube marked) and it SUCKS, can the baffles legally be removed, destroyed, and repkaced witg newly made baffles/monocore (this assumes the old baffles/monocore/steel wool/rubber wipes/whatever, were destroyed before the replacement(s) were made/purchased/
    possessed).
    Yes, and to legally replace them you need to file another Form 1. :-)
    NFA Firearms: In A World Of Compromise, Some Don't.

+ Reply to Thread