UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: M10a1a vs m10a1

M10a1a vs m10a1

Whats the deal with texas macs having "m10a1 Stephensville" stamped in them but "m10a1a Lingleville" on the form 4? I just drove two states over to test fire a m10a1(a?). I backed out of the deal because his model and manufacturer city didnt match on the gun and on the form 4? Is this normal? Are they all like this? I might still buy the gun but I wanted a second opinion.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Welcome to the forum!

I know exactly how you feel because I owned a NIB Texas MAC in 9mm completed by SWD. Unless I’m mistaken, all the transferable Texas guns are registered the same way with the extra “A” on the registration that doesn’t match what’s on the gun and the Lingleville address rather than Stephansville, Texas. I *think* the extra “A” is on the registration as a way to differentiate between the full and semi auto Texas MACs. Perhaps a requirement by BATF?

Anyway, it’s legit.
    I’d be more concerned if what you looked at was a Texas gun completed by SWD rather than an original, poorly welded original.
    Please visit my FB page for the latest CF-W bolt information.
    https://www.facebook.com/VegasSMG/?ref

The registry is full of errors or questionable info. The atf was said to be cleaning up a lot of it as the guns are transferred going forward but I haven't seen it personally. You can correct the form 4's info but you risk the transfer being delayed because it doesn't match the old. For that reason my colt m16a2 says its caliber is like 55.6mm or .556mm(can't remember) instead of 5.56mm. A lot of maker info was wrong on form 1'd guns too(where the original mfg is listed as the maker of the mg or sbr when they were done by someone else).

My texas mac has lingleville listed on the maker info on the form 4. That is what it was before so that is what it stays at. Big thing is that the serial is correct. I wouldn't worry about that as it seems like that is how they were registered. As Vegas said the bigger thing for a texas gun is if it has an m1 garand style safety that goes through the trigger guard or the safety next to it like most of the other macs. If its through the trigger guard its one that was not finished by swd and has the bad welds(unless it has been repaired). They can be fixed and converted to take standard parts(sam and practical solutions is who did mine) but that's an added cost.

Thanks guys. Its got the correct safety and the cobray logo. Ive never seen a comparison of the two kinds of receiver welds the texas macs have, but I didn't see anything that I would describe as a tack weld, it looked like the seams were TIG'd. so im pretty sure its an SWD. The gun did jam multiple times, but I'm sure its probably something I can fix. I knocked his price down to reflect the work it needs. It sounds like I'm going to go through with the sale after all.

My brother f4 said m10a1a
    I don’t know why bc I filled it out to me but mine says m10a1.

I think my Texas SWD Mac has Stephenville on the F4. But I'd have to double-check to make sure.

ETA: My F4 says Lingeville.
    Last edited by rchaisch; 08-21-2018 at 08:54 PM.

UZI Talk Life Member

Not sure if it explains this or confuses the issue. At the time these guns were made Lingleville did not have a post office and Mail would go through the Stephenville post office. I’m not even sure lingleville was still an incorporated city at the time. They had a small school district but I’m not aware of any other governmental functions.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishman View Post
    Thanks guys. Its got the correct safety and the cobray logo. Ive never seen a comparison of the two kinds of receiver welds the texas macs have, but I didn't see anything that I would describe as a tack weld, it looked like the seams were TIG'd. so im pretty sure its an SWD. The gun did jam multiple times, but I'm sure its probably something I can fix. I knocked his price down to reflect the work it needs. It sounds like I'm going to go through with the sale after all.

The guns that were finished by SWD properly - finished out/upgraded with true SWD parts and rear plate rewelded typically have the Cobray logo stamped on them. The crappy Stephensville guns that havent been properly upgraded typically have a mille dout circle where the Cobray logo was stamped --- SWD made them grind those logos off ( due to copyright or trade dress or whatnot) thus leaving a round ground mark instead of the logo. If you look closely you prob. still can see the underlying ground out spot - which in your guns case was re stamped over with the Cobray logo (again) when finished out properly by SWD. I have some pics of both but cant readily find them.

Look at the rear plate where it meets the sideplates...if there's no gaps and its a continuous beffy weld then your gun has indeed been completely upgraded to factory specs and is good to go. The crappy non upgraded ones have tack welds and some gaps back where the rear plate meets the side plates.

Post a photo here - angle it so you can see that rear corner we are talking about and we can readily confirm.

Sounds like you have a good gun to me though.

UZI Talk Life Member
    This is what a upgraded weld looks like...and you can see the logo restamp as well.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/4cgosWS1jsDbB2S36

UZI Talk Life Member
    From the book The Mac Man:

Wayne Daniel of SWD bought a bunch of parts and a number of finished guns from Paul Lavista in Smyrna Georgia (who bought them all at the bankruptcy auction of the Stephenville MAC facility)
    All of these guns had the original Cobray emblem removed (via an endmill) by James Leatherwood (owner of Stephenville TX branch of Military Armament Corp) and once rebuilt, Wayne Daniel re-engraved the same spot with the Cobray logo. Hence, rebuilt guns will have a Cobray logo inside of a machined circular pocket. These are good guns and worth waaaaaay more than some of the orig TX M10s.
    (The endmill pocket/Cobray logo is on the right side (ejection port side) directly beneath the rear sight.)

Wayne Daniel would then build or rebuild the registered frame with all SWD and RPB internals as well as fully seam-weld the gun. "

UZI Talk Life Member
    and here's a pic of the non upgraded M10a1's....notice the rear plate and the ground off logo.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/6H9UsjtBL6Gamexy6

Here's the gun https://www.gunbroker.com/item/783311840
    The welds definitely looked more like the SWD
    Last edited by Fishman; 08-20-2018 at 06:51 PM.

That looks to be a SWD gun, welds should be fine.

I just bought it! Thanks guys!

Congrats! Now for the waiting. And waiting....And waiting...

Luckily I have a form 1 SBR, a Salvo12, and a octane 9 also in jail. I'll have surprise presents pop up throughout the next year.

Sorry to revive this old thread but I wanted to add my experience:

My first MG (and only at present, at least officially) is a Texas MAC M10/45. I bought it knowing about the potential issues with the welds, non-standard parts, etc. It was, however, still a good deal given the accessories it came with and the fact that it was in-state making the transfer a lot easier. The seller also accepted a 12.5% deposit with the balance due upon transfer, so I wasn't really taking much of a risk since I was buying at mid-2012 pricing. I figured I would eventually have to get it upgraded.

The gun finally cracked a weld this year after 6 plus years of enjoyment so I figure I got my monies worth. It has gone to Sam at Practical Solutions for welding and installation of standard parts, among other services.

Some notes:

-My gun doesn't have the Cobray Logo or the round grinding spot where it was removed.
    -It was registered with the last owner as M10A1A but was approved for transfer with an adjustment by the ATF to M10A1.
    -Serial number is A501XXX. All the original Texas Macs I have seen in person or in pictures have A+six digits for serial numbers. All the SWD finished guns I have seen have A+seven digits for serial numbers.
    -The selector markings are "1" and "32" The SWD guns I have seen are marked Semi and Full.

I recently purchased a SWD finished Texas MAC (looking forward to waiting a year for transfer). It has all the correct welds and an A+seven digits for the serial number. It also has the grinding circle with the Cobray logo in the middle and the standard safety. Selector markings are Semi and Full.

Arghh

Dont remind me that ive been waiting 14 FUCKING months and still don't have my gun.

UZI Talk Supporter

Arghh

Dont remind me that ive been waiting 14 FUCKING months and still don't have my gun.
    I wonder whatís taking so long? I bought an M11a1 which was delivered to my FFL and initiated a Form 4 on 12/26/18. The Fm 4 was approved on Sep 8. Mine took 8 months (and thatís with a government shutdown).

Arghh

I feel you man, I've been waiting 13 months myself for my M10A1. Ridiculous. And seeing all these 60-70 Form 4 approvals lately is just rubbing salt in the wounds.

+ Reply to Thread