UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Uzi - Grease Gun magwell conversion

UZI Talk Life Member

Uzi - Grease Gun magwell conversion

I was toying with the idea of converting one of my uzi lowers to grease gun magwell for .45 use. I bought the magwell and catch, grip, etc. from Practical Solutions. Is this as easy as cutting out the old magwell and welding in the new one, or are there some other tricks involved? I know the presentation height needs to match the original for the bolt to clear the feed lips, and the grip safety goes bye bye. Are there any dimensions or procedures available online that anyone knows of?

Administrator
    No, it's not that simple. The conversion depends on what magazines you want to use. The IMI or ProMag .45 magazines work in a standard 9mm grip frame with no modifications but they are lower capacity (from 10 to 22 rounds). People wanting higher capacity have used grease gun magazines but since those magazines are wider it requires a number of modifications to the grip frame. Several manufacturers have done the conversions in slightly different ways.
    Looking for the definitive reference book on UZI history and technical information? Check out my book The UZI Submachine Gun Examined. Details to order a copy are here.

UZI Talk Life Member

The intention is to use M3 grease gun mags. I have a M10/45 magwell that fits grease gun mags that appears to be a close fit, but am just not sure what other mods have to be done to the grip frame other than cutting out the uzi magwell and welding in the M3 magwell. If anyone has a converted grip frame and can post some photos of the inside and outside of it along with the dimension from the mag catch pin hole to the bottom of the grip frame, that would be helpful. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by wtrski76 View Post
    The intention is to use M3 grease gun mags. I have a M10/45 magwell that fits grease gun mags that appears to be a close fit, but am just not sure what other mods have to be done to the grip frame other than cutting out the uzi magwell and welding in the M3 magwell. Thanks.
    You also have to check the magwell height to make sure the isn't too high and hits the bolt are too low and doesn't strip a round.
    Last edited by mike_phoenix; 09-05-2018 at 12:00 PM. Reason: delete post

UZI Talk Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by mike_phoenix View Post
    You also have to check the magwell height to make sure the isn't too high and hits the bolt are too low and doesn't strip a round.
    This is why I am asking for dimensions from a working example. I can measure and do the math, but it would be helpful to have as much specific information as possible before starting so I don't have to re-invent the wheel on this. The most ideal dimension would be the vertical distance from the pin hole for the mag catch to the grip frame retaining pin, but I think the mag catch pin hole to the bottom of the grip frame would suffice and is easier to measure accurately.

These converted lowers used to go for around $250. Are they not available anymore? Seems like a lot of work with a questionable outcome just to save $250. Frankly, I'd just buy the Promag 22 rounders if they're reasonable. Grease gun mags must be going for $30-$40 these days (I stocked up when they were $12 NIW). The IMI ones are probably impossible to find. 22 rounds is not that shy of 30 -- hell, I use 25-round 9mm mags in my uzi. I prefer them to the 32-round mags.

UZI Talk Life Member

I have many 22rd promags and an IMI 16rd that I can use and that work fine. I also have many grease gun mags for my M10, and want to build a grease gun magwell lower for my Uzi. It is not a matter of anything practical, or to save money on mags, or for any other reason than just to do it because it can be done and I like making things.

UZI Talk Life Member

OP, I have a GG Uzi lower at the house somewhere. Happy to get it out and send what measurements you need. I should be able to dig it out this weekend and take some measurements or pictures. I purchased this stripped lower from a member on this site, but due to other projects I have not gotten around to completing it. So although I believe it to be in spec, I cant personally attest to it running correctly. Hopefully I'll get around to installing the FCG and mag catch in the near future.

not to hijack thread, I put my kit up for sale
    http://www.uzitalk.com/forums/showth...785#post792785

UZI Talk Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by geeko9mm View Post
    Want to take some measurements before you sell it off?

Why is the GG magazine modified? My GG lower takes stock GG mags w/o any modifications.

Quote Originally Posted by wtrski76 View Post
    Want to take some measurements before you sell it off?
    Sure, What area you need. I do my best but I do not have a micrometer.

Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    Why is the GG magazine modified? My GG lower takes stock GG mags w/o any modifications.
    Because the Grease gun mag will no clear the receiver. One way is to file off the mag at the backside. Second way is to take off material from receiver magazine opening for the unmodified mag to clear the receiver. I dont think you want to mod you register receiver for that.

UZI Talk Life Member

Just looking for the distance from the axis of mag catch pin to the bottom of the receiver, or if possible, the takedown pin. micrometer not necessary +/-1/32" should be close enough for government work. Thanks. Also, any photos that you might be able to take inside and out. Thanks.

Because the Grease gun mag will no clear the receiver. One way is to file off the mag at the backside. Second way is to take off material from receiver magazine opening for the unmodified mag to clear the receiver. I dont think you want to mod you register receiver for that.
    If done correctly, No mods to the magazine or receiver are required. The .45 Mac magwell doesn't get welded flush onto the UZI lower.

Quote Originally Posted by deanq View Post
    If done correctly, No mods to the magazine or receiver are required. The .45 Mac magwell doesn't get welded flush onto the UZI lower.
    This was also my experience with the GG lower which Roger Loock at Revelation Arms built for me years ago...no mods to the receiver and no mods to the magazines.

Worked perfectly...but I didn't care for the Uzi's firing "dynamic" in .45 acp so I let the GG lower, barrels and bolts go to buyers who wanted them way more than I.

Quote Originally Posted by hkg3k View Post
    This was also my experience with the GG lower which Roger Loock at Revelation Arms built for me years ago...no mods to the receiver and no mods to the magazines.

Worked perfectly...but I didn't care for the Uzi's firing "dynamic" in .45 acp so I let the GG lower, barrels and bolts go to buyers who wanted them way more than I.
    I had the exact same experience, except I have trouble selling anything firearm related, so I still have it. I don't think I've used it in a decade. I guess they're as rare as hen's teeth these days.

+ Reply to Thread