UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Non-Slip Butt Cover for Sterling?

Non-Slip Butt Cover for Sterling?

I have a Sterling SBR that shoots great but the bare metal buttplate slips around quite a bit on my shoulder as I shoot. Does anyone have any suggestions for reducing this slippage?

Spray it with some plasti-dip? Any slip on cover will have a hard time staying out of the way when the stock folds up.

Glue a piece of thin rubber to it. Innertube maybe.

UZI Talk Supporter
    Not Sterling specifically, but I've seen guys epoxy a cut out piece of flip-flop sole to help with slippery buttplates.

Butt plate

I have used tennis racket handle tape. The stuff is slightly tacky and very easy to apply, Once it gets old and nasty cut it off repeat.

UZI Talk Supporter
    You could Checker or Serrate it if you want a permanent solution

UZI Talk Life Member

This stuff is great, I’ve used it on lage plastic folder, steel ruger buttplate, and assorted other plastic pieces, just cut to fit, I heat it up with a hair dryer to give it some extra flexibility and stretch, clean surface with some alcohol and it stays put.

Lots of similar products, but this stuff is perfect, just right amount of stick

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

UZI Talk Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by StealthyBlagga View Post
    I have a Sterling SBR that shoots great but the bare metal buttplate slips around quite a bit on my shoulder as I shoot. Does anyone have any suggestions for reducing this slippage?
    Do you have a disability? I am asking because I’ve been shooting Sterlings for over fifty years and the only time I have heard this complaint was from a man who had a physical disability. It has been many years, but I vaguely remember someone helping him with some kind of a brace. I am pretty sure there’s a thread on here about it. It’s been many years ago.

Pull it back into the shoulder a little harder.

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    Do you have a disability?
    LOL - no (well, just a little overweight, and I'm the wrong side of 50). I am using a closed-bolt semi SBR in an action shooting match next week. The plain steel buttplate slips a bit on my shoulder, especially when shooting prone. I am just looking to stabilize the gun a bit and save time by not having to adjust between shots.

Last night I shot it in a smaller local match, and I tried a piece of rubber inner tube secured with zip ties over the buttplate. It worked really well, but of course the stock won't fold properly now.

Quote Originally Posted by jt526 View Post
    ...Lots of similar products, but this stuff is perfect, just right amount of stick[/url]
    Thanks - that stuff looks like just the ticket. Hopefully it will still allow the stock to fold as designed. I have ordered some... fingers crossed it will arrive before the match.

+ Reply to Thread