UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Robinson M96

Talking Robinson M96

Any M96 owners in the forum? I have a Recon Carbine that I thoroughly enjoy. Since I donít have 75k for a Stoner 63 this is as close as Iíll ever get. Found it for $800 at a local gun shop a few years ago. I donít think they knew what it was. Iíd post a picture but donít know how from my phone on here.

UZI Talk Supporter
    You were very lucky!
    I've always kinda wanted to shoot one, and of course, provided it worked well, probably buy it, too.

It shoots like a Cadillac compared to an AR or AK. Just smooth. It had been extremely reliable - not picky with ammo or mags. It even runs well suppressed with the adjustable gas regulator. It is built like a tank.

Robinson M96

I have a Robinson M96 Expeditionary Carbine; Love it, but it IS heavy. I've made my own "Bren" conversion by modding a picatinny rail to fill the gap on the upper. But it normally is conventional with a 90 round drum and bipod, Still looks cool. Can't post a pic right now, sorry.

UZI Talk Supporter
    The Stoner 63 is a dream gun; the Robinson 96 seems like it would certainly be a great rifle.

Kinda cool that Robinson chose to call theirs the M96; the original Stoner designation was M69W.

Quote Originally Posted by planner View Post
    I have a Robinson M96 Expeditionary Carbine; Love it, but it IS heavy. I've made my own "Bren" conversion by modding a picatinny rail to fill the gap on the upper. But it normally is conventional with a 90 round drum and bipod, Still looks cool. Can't post a pic right now, sorry.
    Nice. They are heavy for a carbine but when you consider the Stoner was mainly used as a LMG it would be very light for that setup. It is a crime that Rob Arms never produced the belt feed conversion that they promised.

UZI Talk Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by fortyfive1911a1 View Post
    Nice. They are heavy for a carbine but when you consider the Stoner was mainly used as a LMG it would be very light for that setup. It is a crime that Rob Arms never produced the belt feed conversion that they promised.
    Ideally, they would have sold a version/variant that would fire from either a Mag or a Belt; if the cost would have
    Very been under $1.5k, they couldn't have made them fast enough!

Industry Expert
    UZI Talk Life Member
    Between my brother and I, we have 4 of them. Two are still NIB. I prefer AR's to the M96, but it's still a fun rifle. It's had a couple of recalls, and parts are a problem. I hope that RobArm will begin to support them again.

I've had my shooter M96 apart on my bench for 6+ months, as it had a mechanical problem that I resolved, but it fought me putting it back together, and I haven't gotten back to it yet.

Here's our 1999 website for the M96:

http://www.biggerhammer.net/m96/

David Albert
    dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
    Past Pres., The American Thompson Assoc.
    NRA Life/ASAC/OGCA/GCA/TCA/CC/IAA
    Writer-SAR Magazine
    Co-Author,"Thompson Manuals,Catalogs,& Other Paper Items"
    Other Author,"The Ultimate Thompson Book"

I agree that I prefer an AR for any real use but I “like” my M96 more just because of the cool factor. I’m a big fan of your website! I actually have your M96 picatanny rail with a green C-More sight to match my furniture. Very nice stuff you make and sell.

Mine is a very late serial number so I’ve had all the recalls/upgrades. The previous owner was even nice enough to thread it.

Industry Expert
    UZI Talk Life Member
    Iím a big fan of your website! I actually have your M96 picatanny rail with a green C-More sight to match my furniture. Very nice stuff you make and sell.
    You are thinking of someone else who made the M96 picatinny rails, but I think they were advertised on our sites.

Thanks!

David Albert
    dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
    Writer-SAR Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by dalbert View Post
    You are thinking of someone else who made the M96 picatinny rails, but I think they were advertised on our sites.

Thanks!

David Albert
    dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
    Ah yes - sorry for the confusion. I have also been all over your sites as they are some of the few resources of information on these interesting firearms. I sure hope Rob Arms bring them back some time or at least start making spare parts again. Itís crazy what they are bringing on Gunbroker these days. One with a spare barrel and some parts just brought over $3k a few days ago.

UZI Talk Supporter
    I'd love to have a 96, provided the Co would provide support/parts

Well, the unthinkable happened yesterday. My bolt sheared in half. The gun can’t have more than 1500 rounds through it. I contacted Rob Arms about a replacement, but I am not confident that they have any. I hope this thing doesn’t stay an expensive paperweight forever.....

Industry Expert
    UZI Talk Life Member
    Well, the unthinkable happened yesterday. My bolt sheared in half. The gun canít have more than 1500 rounds through it. I contacted Rob Arms about a replacement, but I am not confident that they have any. I hope this thing doesnít stay an expensive paperweight forever.....
    Yikes, I hate to hear that. I hope that RobArm will come around and make some more parts.

David Albert
    dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
    Writer-SAR Magazine

Yikes, I hate to hear that. I hope that RobArm will come around and make some more parts.

David Albert
    dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
    Me too, Iíll let you know what they say.

Me too, I’ll let you know what they say.
    Heard anything from Robinson on a replacement bolt for your M96?
    I'd like to keep shooting mine, but not being able to replace the bolt may mean it stays in the safe.

Somewhat related, a guy over on AR15 is building a semi-auto stoner from parts.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_123/...R15-but--.html

Industry Expert
    UZI Talk Life Member
    I spent at least 10 minutes talking to Alex Robinson at the Robinson Armament booth at NRA Indy a month ago. I brought up the age old question of "will M96 parts become available?" He was responsive, and said it was possible he could have someone make bolts this summer. No promises, but he knows there's a need for them. He's not onboard for making new guns yet, because he says the market is just not there currently. I agree with that. But spare parts are a possibility. He mentioned possibly starting a signup on the forum for bolts. I will leave that to him, but I'm hoping he sees this post, and the one I made on Biggerhammer, and will follow though on our discussion. We know that spare bolts, in particular, are a much needed spare part.

David Albert
    dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
    Writer-SAR Magazine

I spent at least 10 minutes talking to Alex Robinson at the Robinson Armament booth at NRA Indy a month ago. I brought up the age old question of "will M96 parts become available?" He was responsive, and said it was possible he could have someone make bolts this summer. No promises, but he knows there's a need for them. He's not onboard for making new guns yet, because he says the market is just not there currently. I agree with that. But spare parts are a possibility. He mentioned possibly starting a signup on the forum for bolts. I will leave that to him, but I'm hoping he sees this post, and the one I made on Biggerhammer, and will follow though on our discussion. We know that spare bolts, in particular, are a much needed spare part.

David Albert
    dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

Thanks again for making the effort to get this started David and please keep us updated on any possible sign up effort.
    I'll be happy to help spread the word.

Quote Originally Posted by Icer View Post
    Heard anything from Robinson on a replacement bolt for your M96?
    I'd like to keep shooting mine, but not being able to replace the bolt may mean it stays in the safe.
    They told me that all of their spare M96 parts are in a separate warehouse and they would have a technician go look in a few months. I’m crossing my fingers but not holding my breath. It is a bummer having my favorite and most valuable rifle sitting in the safe in pieces.

Side note, they have not made mention of possibly making new bolts in my email correspondence. I hope that they do. I would buy at least two.
    Last edited by fortyfive1911a1; 05-30-2019 at 07:59 PM.

+ Reply to Thread