UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Magazines not locking in

Magazines not locking in

I recently installed the Lage "2-Piece Molded Grip with Thumb Activated Magazine Release" on my 10/45 and find that most of my NOS grease gun mags are not locking in place. Per Lage's website description it is "Designed for use with original MAC magazines or unmodified Grease Gun Magazines."

Are there any known issues/tweaks that I can do to remedy this?

I had to “stretch” the spring because it wasn’t nearly strong enough on mine.

My spring was WAY over sprung. I could hardly depress it. I contacted them and sent a picture of the spring next to a measuring tape. It was way too big and they immediately sent me the correct one.

This was a couple years ago though. It’s possible that you might have a similar issue that me and Donut77donut had.

I had to shorten mine a tad in order to get the catch to drop all the way into the cutout in the mag. Very gentle work with a file then a stone. Of course if you over do it, just get another mag release.

Ok, I've pulled the grip apart and looked over things while inserting various mags. It appears that it isn't an issue with the aftermarket parts as much as it is with the magazines. As is usual with military hardware, devices may be manufactured by multiple contractors.

I've found that two of the most common contractors used to make these mags in more recent years (ie 60s-70s) were:
    - Sparks-Withington Co. of Jackson, MI (mags are stamped with SPW before the part number)
    - Keeler Brass Co. of Grand Rapids MI (mags are stamped with KL before the part number)

A third contractor, Jahn Manufacturing of New Britain, CT has a "J" stamped before the part number. Evidently these are pretty rare.

So far all of the SPW marked mags lock in properly, and the KL marked mags don't. Also found that the "J" mag doesn't lock in.

From what I'm seeing it is either that the "ears" on the sides are too high, or the lip of the plate is a bit too low, because the mag catch isn't able to catch that edge. I'll bet you could take a few passes with a file (on the magazine) and remedy the problem with he KLs. Since you don't want to change the location of the feed lips, I think filing a bit on the back edge would be the place to tweak.

While you should be able to see the stampings fairly easily, you can also see that the back of mags are different. The SPWs back surface are more flat, and the KLs feature a rib. The rib itself doesn't seem to contribute to the issue at hand, but can be used to visibly differentiate between the two makers more easily. The "J" marked mag that I have is parkerized versus blued. The back of the "J" model looks like a "SPW" model.
    The J & KLs still work fine in my AR45, so I'm not going to bother filing on them at this time.

Reference picture found on the internet.
    Last edited by Fulliautomatix; 05-31-2020 at 05:44 PM.

UZI Talk Supporter
    Glad to hear someone else talking about this. I have found similar variations in my GG surplus mags. In my case all lock in, but only some drop free. We should all bring all our GG mags to shoots and swap with each other the ones that work with each gun best.

The fellow who built my AR45, as well as numerous folks online have said that most GG mags need to be tweaked a bit to make them work smoothly. I've found that slightly smooshing them in a vice, from front to back works well. EMPHASIS on slightly.

Here's a photo, courtesy of the site linked below.

They also talk about filing the front/outside edge of the feed lips, but I've never had to do that.

http://www.troupsystems.com/R145/GGMAGS/GGMAGS.htm

+ Reply to Thread