UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Stenling value?

Stenling value?

I'm considering parting with my Stenling. Done by Don Quinell on an Erb Sten i bought back in the 80's. The gun works beautifully. Not looking to post for sale yet. One of the big buyers offered 6900. about two years ago. I havent seen any for sale in quite a while for comparison. Just looking for opinions on there value.

FFL/SOT
    UZI Talk Life Member
    Wisconsin-Indonesia-Thailand & Live @ The Blue Note
    I would say if its a build on par with Andrewski built Sterlings you can ask $12-13K and get it. I am sure there will be comments that they are never for sale and worth $18K thats not the case. I just sold the same gun different tube maker but built by Don for $13,000 and it was a non advertised local sale easy peasy.
    Be polite,be courteous,be professional,but have a plan to kill everybody in the room
    UZI 22LR FA conversion kits are in stock

www.subgun-ordnance.com
    subgun-ordnance@sbcglobal.net

I agree, I think $12-13k would be the norm although I haven't looked at the guide lately to see how they are trending.

FFL/SOT
    UZI Talk Life Member
    The machine gun price guide is the last thing I would look at. If you go by that you will think your stuff is worth millions and its far from what the current market bares
    Be polite,be courteous,be professional,but have a plan to kill everybody in the room

www.subgun-ordnance.com

UZI Talk Supporter
    A pair of Wilson sterlings were for sale here for $14,500 for 4-5 months. Maybe 5-6 months ago

Market is rock bottom. Guns are selling $2-4,000 under value. Not many takers on a form 4 when your now looking at a 14-15 month transfer

I vote $11,000-12,500

Sell today $11
    Sell in a month $12
    Sell in 6 months $13

Not much selling for full price.

I grabbed a paws sterling for $7500 a few months ago. Looks brand new. Not a real sterling by any means. But something to compare to anyways. Same family

Am180s were $12,000. Now $9999
    S&w 76 were $13,500. Now $9500
    Uziís were $13,500. Now $10,500
    Forum member grabbed a ps m10/45 for $5750 after extras deducted (3 days ago)

On the positive side sterlings and stenlings are uncommon
    Last edited by Battering ram NIB; 02-17-2019 at 09:26 PM.

FFL/SOT
    UZI Talk Life Member
    The gun market is like this every year up and down inflated and corrects it self. If you bought in the last 4 years any realized gain is gone and you have exactly what you paid 4 years ago unless you paid way over just to have it. All of the M11s and M10s will level out after everyone has there new uppers as well

www.subgun-ordnance.com

Quote Originally Posted by Battering ram NIB View Post

Market is rock bottom. Guns are selling $2-4,000 under value. Not many takers on a form 4 when your now looking at a 14-15 month transfer
    I think this is very true

UZI Talk Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by arch stanton View Post
    I would say if its a build on par with Andrewski………
    Yep, John Andrewski sets the standard when it comes to Sterlings.

So far, I haven’t seen anyone come close to John’s work.

… you can ask $12-13K and get it.
    Yes, I would agree with that.

Most people don’t know the difference between a Don Quinell build and an Andrewski. A first-time buyer or someone who has never seen an Andrewski is very likely to think they are comparable. Not knowing Andrewski Sterlings fetch a premium over all others, they will likely think they are getting a good deal.

… Sell today $11
    Ah! Now that’s a number a serious buyer, someone who has done some research, would pay.

A lot of Quinell’s guns have had serious issues. I am not going to go into details (a quick search of this forum will give you plenty). As a result, a lot of Don Quinell’s guns have gone to John Andrewski for repair, refurbishing and rebuilding. So, $11 and an Andrewski rebuild would get a savvy buyer the best for around $13,5 to $14. In other words, a new Andrewski for the price of a used one.

I grabbed a paws sterling for $7500 a few months ago.
    Are you going to have John convert it into a Sterling?

UZI Talk Supporter
    Yes paws goes to JA when it comes in. JA spoke highly of the tubes quality and that it is a true Sterling tube. I’ll have a JA Sterling for $10,500-$11,000 when done.

Ive got bargain after bargain over the past 6 months. I think that paws was -$3,000.

I passed on a JA build 2 years ago and regret it. My Paws should be here in 30-45 days. Very excited

JA bought that last Wilson sterling listed here to tweak and resell. I think he is getting $16-17 for his work if you buy direct from him. Nice guy to talk to

UZI Talk Supporter
    Yes paws goes to JA when it comes in. JA spoke highly of the tubes quality and that it is a true Sterling tube. I’ll have a JA Sterling for $10,500-$11,000 when done.

Ive got bargain after bargain over the past 6 months. I think that paws was -$3,000.

I passed on a JA build 2 years ago and regret it. My Paws should be here in 30-45 days. Very excited

JA bought that last Wilson sterling listed here to tweak and resell. I think he is getting $16-17 for his work if you buy direct from him. Nice guy to talk to
    It will be perfection and you will love it! Ask me how I know. After dealing with John I can highly recommend him based on his professionalism and craftsmanship, both are top notch.
    God, Family, Guns.....Life is Good! ROMANS 10:9-10

+ Reply to Thread