UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Range report

UZI Talk Life Member

Range report

Hit the range today with the M50 had a blast. Gun ran perfect as always. Not as heavy as a Thompson but shoots almost as smoothly. Next up seeing how it works in a Saiga bullpup stock. Already did a test fitting and it looked workable, just need to see if the existing trigger linkage will be sufficient- if that works Iíll just need to find the right material to fill gaps inside the stock where the Saiga dimensions are larger then the Reising reciever. Having the mags further back would make bench shooting a lot easier with the 30 round Christie mags.
    Live Bravely, Live Freely!

UZI Talk Supporter
    Just a crazy thought......

In a bullpup stock, how much space will you have around the action bar ?.....enough to add weight(s) to it to slow down the ROF ?

UZI Talk Life Member
    I’ve been through the weighted bar exercise- as others will report, the weight can’t be bumped up much without effecting reliability.. but after the trigger linkage, that is the second roadblock I see. Will maybe need an access hole to get to it.

The reising is a tilting bolt delayed blowback design so a heavier bolt won't slow the action as much as it would on a straight blowback gun.

Quote Originally Posted by boomer535 View Post
    The reising is a tilting bolt delayed blowback design so a heavier bolt won't slow the action as much as it would on a straight blowback gun.
    To add to what's been said, the bolt is also a somewhat small part of the total reciprocating weight, so again, not much could be achieved in ROF reduction by making the bolt heavier. And on the down side, a heavier bolt may well break action bar to bolt interface components.

Some experiments with a weighted action bar have been performed and published, for example:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enZIncbMgIM

IIRC, on another website the experimenter in the video expressed concerns about the extra weight breaking the action bar and/or possibly other components.

MHO, YMMV, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by SecondAmend View Post
    Some experiments with a weighted action bar have been performed and published, for example:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enZIncbMgIM
    I had comments embedded in the video when I initially posted that, using the Youtube video editor. They gave the various weights, and rates of fire. I don't see them any more when I watch it, so I wonder if youtube scrubbed the comments when they dropped their video editor feature. (are they showing up for anyone else?)

And I was just looking through my notes to see if I still had the timer data to give the rates of fire with the different weights. So far I can't find them.

With typical 230 gr. ammo, my Reising runs at 885 RPM (without extra weights). I want to say the weighted action bar got me down to the mid-700s. The other interesting part was that I still couldn't pull singles with the gun at that point. It's still too fast, although I can pull singles with an M11 or MAC10 at that rate, or even faster. I'm thinking it has something to do with the trigger weight and trigger-sear geometry. Can't get off it fast enough.

I was working on a bullpup stock for it at one time, but the transfer bar I had set up made an alreay heavy trigger almost unmanageable. I've got a couple of thoughts on it, but I really haven't pursued it in a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by rybread View Post
    I’ve been through the weighted bar exercise- as others will report, the weight can’t be bumped up much without effecting reliability.. but after the trigger linkage, that is the second roadblock I see. Will maybe need an access hole to get to it.
    I was thinking of threading a handle into the side of the weight I was going to weld onto the end of the action bar. Going through a slot in the stock would give a reciprocating bolt handle.

The other thought I had was to use a fast-acting solenoid instead of a linkage. Up-side is that you use a push-button switch for your trigger, so your finger would get a 2 lb. trigger pull. The down-side is the added complication of batteries and electronics. And ATF may or may not want to claim the trigger setup is a machine gun conversion all by its self.

But it's something to think about.

Have you looked into implementing a hesitation/lost motion subassembly as used by some machine pistols to provide ROF reduction? A mechanism mechanically coupled to the front of the action bar in a void made in the stock.

Best of luck.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SecondAmend View Post
    Have you looked into implementing a hesitation/lost motion subassembly as used by some machine pistols to provide ROF reduction? A mechanism mechanically coupled to the front of the action bar in a void made in the stock.

Best of luck.
    Easier said than done- know where one can be found, off the shelf?

Recon Ordnance had some VZ61 rate reducers last year, check with him. IIRC, Apex still has some of the PM63 rate reducer parts.

Definitely easier said than done.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Iíve seen the ones in the Astra Model F- really ingenious stuff.

+ Reply to Thread