UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need help with Uzi parts kit disassembly

Need help with Uzi parts kit disassembly

I have everything I need to build a semi SBR Uzi including a parts kit, McKay fully welded receiver and a McKay semi bolt assembly. I even have the stamp in hand. Now I need to disassemble what's left of the parts kit in order to get the parts I need before having them finished. Everything came apart pretty easily except that I ran in to a few problems. I'm guessing the solutions are pretty easy, but I don't know and don't want to break anything.
    1) How do I remove the top cover retainer that sits inside the rear sight assembly?

2) How do I remove the return spring from the top cover assembly without mangling it?

3) Where do I get the part to keep the sling swivel in place? It looks like I simply need to drill it out, but where do you get the replacement part? Do you use a press to form it to shape or am I missing something here?

4) Where can I purchase a replacement axis pin for the grip assembly? It seems that Bubba took a hammer to the rearward pin and mangled the crap out of the left end of it. The hole in the grip is even deformed some, but I'll be able to fix that with a drill bit. I might be able to save the pin with a bunch of work, but buying a properly formed replacement would be much easier.

Thanks in advance!

The mounting pin for the pistol grip, 8mm can be bought at RobertRTG, https://www.robertrtg.com/store/pc/U...P-166p2784.htm

Did you buy your McKay semiauto bolt a long time ago since these are out of stock online.

Thanks davekr. I ordered the pin and figured out how to remove the top cover return spring. I still need help with questions 1 and 3 if anyone knows the answers.

The top cover retainer simply slides forward and out, the spring for the rear sight on top of it keeps it in place. There should be nothing to hold the spring in place, if it won't move you need to spread the sight ears a bit maybe?

The rivet for the sling swivel comes in two flavors, one that allows full rotation and the type you have that only moves about 90 degrees. Just drill/grind off the old rivet and install a new one.

https://bwefirearms.com/product/uzi-sling-swivel-rivet/

Or here:

https://shop.usbarrelshrouds.com/Uzi...-NEW_p_84.html
    Last edited by slimshady; 03-13-2019 at 01:30 AM.

Great information. Thanks slimshady!

Quote Originally Posted by slimshady View Post
    The top cover retainer simply slides forward and out, the spring for the rear sight on top of it keeps it in place.
    I don't see how it can slide forward and out. Would you please elaborate some more?

UZI Talk Life Member
    Push in the circle and lift up the font tab.

Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    I don't see how it can slide forward and out. Would you please elaborate some more?
    If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.-Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by komodoj View Post
    Push in the circle and lift up the font tab.
    I tried that, but couldn't get it to budge. Then I put a think flathead screw driver between the top cover retainer and piece of bent sheet metal. I pressed a bit and parts went flying. This is what I found. Is this everything?

UZI Talk Life Member
    Yes
    If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.-Ronald Reagan

Awesome. Thanks!

+ Reply to Thread