UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: M1 Carbine Registered Conversion Kit Questions

M1 Carbine Registered Conversion Kit Questions

Saw one of these on Sunday and now I'm pretty sure it's going to be my next NFA purchase. First question, I was under the impression the ATF Ruled that M2 Carbine registered conversion kits had to be marked on one of the "7 Deadly Parts" not the trigger housing itself. Not like this one on gunbroker
    https://www.gunbroker.com/item/834449987
    Second Question, It's my understanding that the Registered Conversion Kits are less desirable then Registered Receivers. Why?
    Third question, If I install one of these in an Inland Motor Patrol M30-IMP Pistol I would need to use a pistol brace to keep it from becoming an sbr?
    Fourth question, What could legally be used in when it comes to firearms? Any M1 type firearm? Last Question for now, these seem like a steal for $9000ish what keeps the price so relatively low?

UZI Talk Life Member

John Norrell registered that so it is good to go.A lot of people back in the day would register the disconnector lever and they were are prone to breakage.John Norrell was a highly skilled and respected CL2.I purchased several NFA weapons from him.HTH
    Last edited by MGMAN45; 10-03-2019 at 01:17 AM. Reason: info

UZI Talk Supporter
    1st Q: answered my MGMAN45

2 : Trigger packs for these are more desirable them the receiver.

Be very careful and make sure the BATFE DOES NOT make you marry the parts to the receiver they are doing this in some cases now.

3: No brace needed MG trumps them all.

4: They are a sleeper and MEGA TONS OF FUN!

Rich

I have a M2 reggied trigger pack and they are fun. My first MG and still have it.

1. The m1/m2 is probably the craziest MG when it comes to parts thatís registered. I own a registered trigger housing. I would suggest looking at the form 4 but this one should be good bc it was made by norrell. Mine says MG on the form 4 and not trigger housing. Not sure if atf made them change it over the years bc I did FOIA and in the past it said trigger housing and installed in S# M1. Thankfully it does NOT say installed in anything anymore. So at one time mine was MARRIED to another gun.
    2. IMO, more desirable than all other conversions. I purchased a USGI trigger housing bc its literally bullet proof and it can be moved from host to host.
    3. As stated MG is the Trump card.
    4. Any m1 type of firearm should be good to go as long as itís usgi spec.
    5. Honestly the only thing I can think of is the ammo price but reload and you should be good to go.

This was some time last year.

I have a John Norrell registered trigger housing and it is awesome.

It's not a problem that the trigger housing is the registered part. According to an interview with Norrell himself, ATF didn't have a problem with the trigger housing being registered until 1986. They came up with the "one of the seven parts must be registered" rule just before the Hughes Amendment/FOPA took effect. The trigger housing you are looking at was made and registered in mid November 1985.

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaRenegade86 View Post
    I have a John Norrell registered trigger housing and it is awesome.

It's not a problem that the trigger housing is the registered part. According to an interview with Norrell himself, ATF didn't have a problem with the trigger housing being registered until 1986. They came up with the "one of the seven parts must be registered" rule just before the Hughes Amendment/FOPA took effect. The trigger housing you are looking at was made and registered in mid November 1985.
    Mine was approved in 86. My FOIA request black out the date of manufacturer/submission for some reason, hell the whole forum is basically blacked out.
    Budgetcuts.
    Last edited by KickStand; 10-03-2019 at 09:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by root View Post

2 : Trigger packs for these are more desirable them the receiver

4: They are a sleeper and MEGA TONS OF FUN!

Rich
    I agree they are a sleeper and more desirable for a shooter. Look at prices of a registered HK sear or a DIAS. Very easy to move the trigger group between various carbine hosts.
    A friend of mine has a registered receiver M2 that has developed some malfunctions. He traced the problem to a small crack in the receiver, near the gas port.
    My registered trigger pack can be used on a commercial M1 which can still be found in good shape for around $500.
    The M2 was always fun, but very noticeably MUCH more controllable when using a G.I. muzzle brake.

UZI Talk Life Member

Certainly a registered conversion kit can be moved from gun to gun, but only from one M1 Carbine to another M1 Carbine. Maybe someone has converted a M1 Carbine to another caliber? I would think that a pistol caliber could be done. I would think that a medium caliber rifle round would be too big and too powerful.

Scott

UZI Talk Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by A&S Conversions View Post
    Certainly a registered conversion kit can be moved from gun to gun, but only from one M1 Carbine to another M1 Carbine. Maybe someone has converted a M1 Carbine to another caliber? I would think that a pistol caliber could be done. I would think that a medium caliber rifle round would be too big and too powerful.

Scott
    Hasn't 9mm been done?

UZI Talk Life Member

It might have been. I'm not really that up on the M1 Carbine. I have my Grandfather's Winchester that he was issued in WW II. I have interest in the WW II guns. I might end up with one, just to complete the US issue set. 9mm certainly would be cheaper to shoot than .30 Carbine. But between my Colt subgun, DOE, CMMG rotational delayed blowback, HK clones of MP5K, MP5K-PDW, reverse stretch, MP5, MP5 SD, M11/NINE, and M10 Uzi conversion, I already have plenty of 9mm subguns to shoot. If a M1 Carbine was my only machinegun, I might be interested in a 9mm M1 Carbine.

Scott

UZI Talk Supporter
    I know they were done in 10mm.

I passed on one about 15 years ago in a LGS he had 3 of them.

Also don't forget the FCG can be dropped in a enforcer pistol too!

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by A&S Conversions View Post

Scott
    You are of course correct that the overwhelming majority of carbines are in .30 Carbine. But swapping over to an Enforcer pistol (or the current version by Inland, called the Advisor) is a different experience. I have seen them in 9mm and .45 ACP, but those are limited in number. If I want to shoot 9mm I have other options. I enjoy the extra energy of the .30 Carbine. The 9mm rounds chase the tennis balls around, but the .30 Carbine sends them over the berm! I enjoy the historical weapons, but have been thinking about shortening the barrel a little on one of them and adding a can.

Ive got an M1 carbine that I plan on cutting the barrel down, threading it for a can and putting it in a side folding stock. Iíve got everything but 2 many projects. Hopefully, Iíll get to it this year. Something like this

My friend has an old m1 carbine that was converted to 5.7 spitfire back in the 60ís. He said it was a awseome in full auto.

UZI Talk Supporter
    Sadly, I passed on a "Conversion Kit" for $5,000 approx 15 years ago, I could still beat myself with a stick!
    The M1 Carbine was produced in 9mm Magnum and .256 Winchester, neither of which is as readily available nor as cheap as .30 Carbine ammo, although the .256 may well be at least 1 of the ideal PDW Rounds.
    IMI made a Bullpup around the .30 Carbine round, but I have no idea if the "Kit" will work with it, or if IMI even made it in SA, or if an SA is/was imported, or if the use of a "Kit" would be acceptable to ATF.

My Inland Advisor with a Registered Trigger Pack next to my UZI for size comparison.
    Attached Images  

^ Nice guns, 89lx!

What's the muzzle climb and flash like with the Advisor?

Quote Originally Posted by gman552 View Post
    ^ Nice guns, 89lx!

What's the muzzle climb and flash like with the Advisor?
    Thanks. It's not too bad with the Type 74 brake.

UZI Talk Life Member

Back before 1986 If you were a CL3 dealer John Norrell would convert any number of AR15 lowers for 65.00 each.Mill and drill,Papered.Great times.
    Last edited by MGMAN45; 10-09-2019 at 08:23 PM. Reason: info

Quote Originally Posted by 89lx View Post
    My Inland Advisor with a Registered Trigger Pack next to my UZI for size comparison.
    That looks great and is what I was thinking about doing. Has anyone tested various bbl lengths with a chronograph? I was trying to decide between the Fulton Armory 11" and the Inland in 12"

+ Reply to Thread