UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 31 FirstFirst 1 9 19 31 LastLast

Thread: The UltiMac, a modular Mac upper.

UZI Talk Supporter
    Any updates on the m11 variant?

Also is there a list for the m11 variant as well?

UZI Talk Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by Swampfoxoutdoors View Post
    Any updates on the m11 variant?

Also is there a list for the m11 variant as well?
    I'm still doing design work on the M11 uppers.
    The anorexic mac uppers are moving slow because of all the little things people keep asking me to design or machine, such as under-barrel-fleshlight adapters and quick change barrel stuff.

If you emailed me for a line spot and you mentioned wanting an upper for an M11 or an M11a1, I put you on a list specific to the M11 and A1.

UZI Talk Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by theredneckengineer View Post
    I'm still doing design work on the M11 uppers.
    The anorexic mac uppers are moving slow because of all the little things people keep asking me to design or machine, such as under-barrel-fleshlight adapters and quick change barrel stuff.

If you emailed me for a line spot and you mentioned wanting an upper for an M11 or an M11a1, I put you on a list specific to the M11 and A1.

OK I asked for the M10 and a M11 upper. But received no confirmation on the M11 upper. Didn't know if there was a list or if you were even emailing those "positions" out.

Thanks and keep up the great work.

UZI Talk Supporter

My focus has been the M10 and associated M10 list, since the design is finalized and they are already being machined.

I've abstained from any m11 lists, confirmation, etc since the design is incomplete, I have none machined, etc.

Since a few people have since emailed and asked, I'll take some time today to focus on organizing the list.
    I won't name beta testers or do any pricing or anything else until I have the design finalized and functional units coming off the mill.
    Also, I will not take money for something I do not have, no matter the product. I don't do deposits, gofundmes, donations, or any other risky business.

UZI Talk Supporter
    My focus has been the M10 and associated M10 list, since the design is finalized and they are already being machined.

I've abstained from any m11 lists, confirmation, etc since the design is incomplete, I have none machined, etc.

Since a few people have since emailed and asked, I'll take some time today to focus on organizing the list.
    I won't name beta testers or do any pricing or anything else until I have the design finalized and functional units coming off the mill.
    Also, I will not take money for something I do not have, no matter the product. I don't do deposits, gofundmes, donations, or any other risky business.
    Sounds good I figured you had plenty of irons in the fire and look forward to be added to the M11/9 beta testing list.

UZI Talk Life Member
    under-barrel-fleshlight adapters

Now WHO in the HELL would want a fleshlight adapter?? Yinz are sick! Fleshlight adapter Tm, patent pending 2019. =D =D =D

UZI Talk Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by challenger70rt View Post
    Now WHO in the HELL would want a fleshlight adapter?? Yinz are sick! Fleshlight adapter Tm, patent pending 2019. =D =D =D
    Asshats over on barfcom were sending them in to tech branch to have determination letters on them.

It's one of the reasons tech is messing with us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfFM...ature=youtu.be

Link to one of the many threads.
    https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/...ty_/5-1666318/

I'll admit I can no longer find the thread where the guy sent this contraption in.

Rich

ETA: U tube link is the 1st link in the thread posted.

UZI Talk Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by root View Post
    Asshats over on barfcom were sending them in to tech branch to have determination letters on them.
    Be aware that General Discussion is not a reflection of all of arfcom. It needs its own separate forums. The NFA section on the forums is a wonderful place to hang out especially the silencer section.

Quote Originally Posted by Swampfoxoutdoors View Post
    Be aware that General Discussion is not a reflection of all of arfcom. It needs its own separate forums. The NFA section on the forums is a wonderful place to hang out especially the silencer section.
    Guess what, that board has been so messed up since they switched to the new format back in the early 2000s nobody wants to go there. Vast majority are youngsters that don't even have a gun, they just spew and regurgitate the same info on the other boards until they get run off. Plenty of quality info on non barfcom boards.

UZI Talk Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Kramer View Post
    Guess what, that board has been so messed up since they switched to the new format back in the early 2000s nobody wants to go there. Vast majority are youngsters that don't even have a gun, they just spew and regurgitate the same info on the other boards until they get run off. Plenty of quality info on non barfcom boards.
    Whatever boomer.

Do you sell the ultimate finisher? I would buy a couple... A great gift to give friends/coworkers/inlaws. Do you have an online store?

Additionally, I am interested in your M11/Nine uppers, specifically the one that takes Tommy gun drums and a 762x39 belt-fed when that materializes.

I will be out of the country for the next 18 months, so don't add me to your waitlist; I will email you to get added closer to me coming home.

-Ed

UZI Talk Supporter
    Quick change barrel isn't so important to me.

I have a bad habit of setting a gun up like i want it and leaving it.

Besides as mentioned the uppers are priced to be able to afford a few.

There are 4 cal. I'd like but will be just happy with 223 to start.

Rich

UZI Talk Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by root View Post
    Quick change barrel isn't so important to me.

I have a bad habit of setting a gun up like i want it and leaving it.

Besides as mentioned the uppers are priced to be able to afford a few.

There are 4 cal. I'd like but will be just happy with 223 to start.

Rich
    Without some sort of easy method to change barrels, the magwells make less sense. They would still be useful, but less so for most people. I think it will be interesting to see what he comes up with. Also, he needs a quick change barrel mechanism for his belt-fed upper anyway, which will surely be on the market any day now.
    If all else fails though, there are products on the market we can use.

Quote Originally Posted by bigj480 View Post
    Without some sort of easy method to change barrels, the magwells make less sense. They would still be useful, but less so for most people. I think it will be interesting to see what he comes up with. Also, he needs a quick change barrel mechanism for his belt-fed upper anyway, which will surely be on the market any day now.
    If all else fails though, there are products on the market we can use.
    I completely disagree. I can can change an AR barrel in 5 minutes. I may not be able to do it at the range, but getting to shoot 45 from glock mags yestderday, 7.62x39 from AK mags today, and 450 bushmaster from STANAG mags tomorrow is awesome.

The modularity of this upper is awesome, even if you only hav 1 barrel and magwell for it. It can be configured how you want it, one of 10,000 ways. Quick change barrels would be a cherry on top, but not having it doesn't defeat the purpose of this upper.
    Last edited by Fishman; 11-06-2019 at 10:42 AM.

UZI Talk Life Member

Right, I said less useful but still useful. I think we actually agree. I only want to buy one upper and may want to shoot more than one caliber per range visit. Also, having no experience shooting rifle cal MGs, it's been stressed how hot barrels get but IDK. It'll be fine either way. He could also just make his system not part of the receiver so you could have yours without or offer two versions? To each their own.

UZI Talk Supporter

Also, he needs a quick change barrel mechanism for his belt-fed upper anyway, which will surely be on the market any day now.
    I wish that were the case.

I had a belt fed design I liked and I was all set to machine one for testing, then I had the idea that it could be modular. That meant a complete redesign, especially since I am trying to keep it at a reasonable price point.

I wouldn't pay $4k or even $3k for a belt fed upper myself, especially one that can only work in one caliber, so why make something that I wouldn't even buy myself?
    I didn't even buy a Shrike until I stumbled on one for $1k.

Any "engineer" can design a belt fed upper with enough motivation, but for me, the real challenge is making it modular, functional, AND cost-efficient. Checking those boxes will make it worth the extra design work and the longer timeline until production.

UZI Talk Supporter

Right, I said less useful but still useful. I think we actually agree. I only want to buy one upper and may want to shoot more than one caliber per range visit. Also, having no experience shooting rifle cal MGs, it's been stressed how hot barrels get but IDK. It'll be fine either way. He could also just make his system not part of the receiver so you could have yours without or offer two versions? To each their own.
    The quick change trunnion I've come up with threads on to the barrel nut journal of the upper receiver. This means the upper will work fine in normal, fixed-barrel applications if someone didn't want to fiddle with having a quick-change barrel mech.
    It uses standard AR barrels but the barrels will each require a tapered steel "ring" that butts up against the barrel extension. The ring should be inexpensive to machine and will use simple set screws to locate and retain on the barrel itself. Set it and forget it; put one on each barrel that is to be hot-swappable.
    The handguard will mount directly to the trunnion and will not be part of the removable barrel assembly.

The downside is it will somewhat limit handguard options.

Can't have everything I suppose.

UZI Talk Supporter
    I wish that were the case.

I had a belt fed design I liked and I was all set to machine one for testing, then I had the idea that it could be modular. That meant a complete redesign, especially since I am trying to keep it at a reasonable price point.

I wouldn't pay $4k or even $3k for a belt fed upper myself, especially one that can only work in one caliber, so why make something that I wouldn't even buy myself?
    I didn't even buy a Shrike until I stumbled on one for $1k.

Any "engineer" can design a belt fed upper with enough motivation, but for me, the real challenge is making it modular, functional, AND cost-efficient. Checking those boxes will make it worth the extra design work and the longer timeline until production.
    Shoot I'd just be happy with a belt fed upper but one with swapable fed systems would be nice. Why not offer both? The fixed upper could be your introductory model and the one with various feed systems be the deluxe version.

Also if chambered in 7.62x39 would it be able to accept a RPD drum attachment? That would just be wonderful.

UZI Talk Life Member
    The quick change trunnion I've come up with threads on to the barrel nut journal of the upper receiver. This means the upper will work fine in normal, fixed-barrel applications if someone didn't want to fiddle with having a quick-change barrel mech.
    It uses standard AR barrels but the barrels will each require a tapered steel "ring" that butts up against the barrel extension. The ring should be inexpensive to machine and will use simple set screws to locate and retain on the barrel itself. Set it and forget it; put one on each barrel that is to be hot-swappable.
    The handguard will mount directly to the trunnion and will not be part of the removable barrel assembly.

+ Reply to Thread