UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: "AR22" fail to eject question

UZI Talk Life Member

"AR22" fail to eject question

I have two uppers dedicated to .22LR.

One has a Kuehl? barrel, 5" using the CMMG kit w/o the chamber insert.

The other is a 10" with a CMMG stainless kit with the chamber insert.

Both charging handles have the groocv filled in to prevent spent cases from jamming up inside the handle.

Mags are Black Dog 25'rd sticks and 50 rd drums. Sticks kind of suck, drums pretty reliable; 98%? with Minimags.

Ammo used with the most reliability: CCI Minimags, 36 gr HP. I've tried 6-10 other flavors and the minimags work best.

Generally the CCI 36gr is the only ammo worth a crap. RGB is terrible; too weak. Winchester 1280 fps 36 gr is a jam every 4-5 rounds.

What I have noticed is that both units tend to malfunction by a spent case getting jammed up between the bolt and chamber, rim end up.The rim gets caught up in the receiver housing and I have to stick a small screwdriver into the mouth and pry it out of the receiver, drop the mag, shake the spent round out, recharge and good until...repeat.

Rarely do I get a failure to extract. But for some reason the spent cases fail to eject and end up vertical, rim up inside the receiver.

Given I can't do anything to make the ammo more powerful, all I can do is cut coils - if that would make the recoil more consistently ejecting the spent rounds.

What is the wisdom of the crowd on this?

I have a short barrel CMMG barrel / insertless bolt and a Sparrow suppressor with the filled in charging handle . I use CCI mini-mags , 40 gr "FMJs " . I don't have hardly any problems with it . I do have more back pressure from the suppressor . I also use a redi-mag insert in the lower to allow S/W AR15-22 mags to be used and have a functioning bolt hold open . Might buy a new spring first , then cut it down and try it .
    Chris

UZI Talk Life Member

Well. Amazing day at the range. This damn thing actually finally worked.

Long story short: New dedicated CMMG barrel and their new collar to replace my circa 2015 collar.
    The other thing replaced: the autotrip I bought ~3 years ago. I buddy broke the old one trying to adjust the timing so I bought some new ones. Makes me wonder if the old one was out of spec.

In any case, BlackDog 50 rd drums ran perfectly with CCI minmags (36 and 40 gr) and CCI tactical 40 gr.

I had around 10 Blackdog 25 rounders with the same loads and they all worked 98%; a few 'fail to clear the receiver' where the empty case is extracted but just doesn't clear the receiver. I'll take that.

I had one mag that I THINK had rimlock - I just couldn't push the rounds out by hand. That's my fault, not the upper / CMMG bolt.

I've been trying to get this to run for 2 years....finally.

I'm going to try some cheap ammo next time. I have more RGB than I can use in a decade.
    My name is actually Scott and I really do live in Texas.

I know, not very creative but it is factual.

By the way - Facebook is truly evil; resist the urge to participate.

UZI Talk Life Member

CongratulationsI am glad you got it to run.

Scott

+ Reply to Thread