UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 3 LastLast

Thread: Tec 22 Value ?

UZI Talk Supporter

Tec 22 Value ?

Yesterday, stopped by a LGS while out paying bills, etc. They have a nice looking Tec 22, at least at 1st glance. There are 2 sets of numbers (approx 3/8" tall) engraved into the right side of the metal. 1 set is below and slightly offset. Looks like it was done by a 3rd grader with an electric pencil The guy behind the counter said he "thinks it may have been sold in a police auction at some point" and said he "thinks the numbers were engraved by the Department that sold it." I've never seen, or heard, of any seized item being engraved by a PD for any reason.

I have a few questions:

1) any clue if this is/was ever done?
    2) any other reason it would have these 2 sets of numbers?
    3) It's marked $275, but the guy said he would sell it to me for $240; is it worth even considering? (Barrel is knurled at muzzle, but this does not appear to be a Thread Protector, 1 Eagle mag is included(appears to be 50 rd mag) no accessories,box,etc

UZI Talk Life Member
    Sounds like maybe a buy back gun? I’d keep my $240!
    Live BRAVE, Live FREE!

UZI Talk Supporter
    Had one once. Wouldn't do it again. They are made like shit and run like shit unless you mess with them a bunch

UZI Talk Supporter
    I've never even shot one; mainly interested because it would be my Tec 9's "little brother".

UZI Talk Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Mackjack View Post
    Had one once. Wouldn't do it again. They are made like shit and run like shit unless you mess with them a bunch
    Thanks for the information. I don't mind tweaking a gun as long as I don't have to spend more on parts than the gun is worth. I'd be more interested at $150, due to the added "markings".

UZI Talk Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by sniperdoc View Post
    Thanks for the information. I don't mind tweaking a gun as long as I don't have to spend more on parts than the gun is worth. I'd be more interested at $150, due to the added "markings".
    If you want it cause it looks cool, sure. It's a neat gun to look at.

If you want it to use it.... good luck. If I remember correctly even the ejector hook was plastic. I vaguely recall it was worn down and causing issues and only way i could think of to fix it at the time was add length back to it with a blob of jb weld then file it to shape

UZI Talk Supporter
    I wouldn't mind having one; just not sure about the price.
    For $240, I can pick up a good used 22 autoloader or revolver, a new Heritage Rough Rider, maybe even a Ruger Wrangler.

UZI Talk Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by sniperdoc View Post
    I wouldn't mind having one; just not sure about the price.
    For $240, I can pick up a good used 22 autoloader or revolver, a new Heritage Rough Rider, maybe even a Ruger Wrangler.
    Wise choice. It's a gun you buy to look at not to shoot. If you can't tell I have a slightly biased opinion on these guns. I'm sure someone out there has a good experience with one. Don't let my experience dissuade you, just keep it in mind. It's worth what you paid for it lol.

UZI Talk Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Mackjack View Post
    Wise choice. It's a gun you buy to look at not to shoot. If you can't tell I have a slightly biased opinion on these guns. I'm sure someone out there has a good experience with one. Don't let my experience dissuade you, just keep it in mind. It's worth what you paid for it lol.
    I appreciate your honesty.

I love my tec-22! It's a novelty item. Mine works great. I have yet to suppress it though. need a 1/2x20-1/2x28 adapter

UZI Talk Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie0369 View Post
    I love my tec-22! It's a novelty item. Mine works great. I have yet to suppress it though. need a 1/2x20-1/2x28 adapter
    Cool! The 1 I saw has a knurled barrel at the muzzle, but does not appear to be threaded. I'm kinda on the fence about it; I don't have a clue if it's worth $240 (+ tax& $10 state background extortion fee) with the engraved numbers. I'd be a lot more comfortable, given the condition, at $150-$175 but if the asking price is a good deal, I may try to get it.

I bought one 1-2 years ago, and it works great. All Tec 22s were threaded (as far as I know), and I shoot mine with and without suppressor. I got mine from Copes when they were still open, they actually offered them here in the forum for $299 and I would buy it again!

Dieter

For that cheap I'd say go for it, I heard they're really picky on ammo though. And I mean if there's something wrong with it it wouldn't be that hard to fix it, it's a .22. Seems like parts are everywhere for them as well.

And for the number etched onto it, I'm 100% sure the gun came from a police station. My cousin bought a S&W Model 19-3 from a police auction a year ago, thing pretty much looked perfect besides one issue, the serial number was ground off. Long story short, gun was used in a crime, years later the police traced back the serial number that was ground off, and since the whole investigation was solved and the guy was behind bars, they decided to auction it. In order to auction it though they had to put the original # on the gun, so they put it on the bottom of the heel with an electric pen.

Did the number on the Tec-22 look like a serial number at all? or did you notice anything on there that was sanded/ground off?

UZI Talk Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by CrystalPepzi View Post
    For that cheap I'd say go for it, I heard they're really picky on ammo though. And I mean if there's something wrong with it it wouldn't be that hard to fix it, it's a .22. Seems like parts are everywhere for them as well.

And for the number etched onto it, I'm 100% sure the gun came from a police station. My cousin bought a S&W Model 19-3 from a police auction a year ago, thing pretty much looked perfect besides one issue, the serial number was ground off. Long story short, gun was used in a crime, years later the police traced back the serial number that was ground off, and since the whole investigation was solved and the guy was behind bars, they decided to auction it. In order to auction it though they had to put the original # on the gun, so they put it on the bottom of the heel with an electric pen.

Did the number on the Tec-22 look like a serial number at all? or did you notice anything on there that was sanded/ground off?
    Dude. I would not have bought a gun with a serial number ground off.

Try telling that story to the next cop that sees that gun and see how far it gets you.

Hard pass lol.

UZI Talk Life Member

I know nothing about Tec - 22, but departments do sometimes engrave numbers on weapons. Especially if it was used in a crime the department may engrave a case number for tracking purposes. A friend of mine who was working for the Harris County Sheriff's department was working a steak out and had his personal Winchester model 12 with him. His partner used the Model 12 to stop an armed robbery. When the coroner arrived the first thing he did after checking the body was take possession of the shotgun and begin engraving the case control number on the receiver. The engraving was to prove chain of custody. It was a clean soot and was no-billed by the grand jury. The shotgun was returned, but no compensation was offered for the damage to a very nice Model 12.

UZI Talk Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by nklf View Post
    I know nothing about Tec - 22, but departments do sometimes engrave numbers on weapons. Especially if it was used in a crime the department may engrave a case number for tracking purposes. A friend of mine who was working for the Harris County Sheriff's department was working a steak out and had his personal Winchester model 12 with him. His partner used the Model 12 to stop an armed robbery. When the coroner arrived the first thing he did after checking the body was take possession of the shotgun and begin engraving the case control number on the receiver. The engraving was to prove chain of custody. It was a clean soot and was no-billed by the grand jury. The shotgun was returned, but no compensation was offered for the damage to a very nice Model 12.
    That's awful! Maybe that's 1 reason almost every LEO around here carries a Dept gun, despite being allowed tk carry Personally owned guns?
    I worked as a LEO/CO for over 6 1/2 years, never heard of seized guns being engraved, but yesterday, I was talking to a buddy that owns a (different) LGS, and he said he had seen several come through his store.

Common practice, look at photos of the Colt Cobra Jack Ruby used on Oswald. The left side of the frame is covered in scratched in cop initials. Of course it also sold for almost a quarter million bucks with that defacement... However some agencies have went to tamper-evident self stick labels and such, I guess they were tired of getting complaints.

Worked on a few TEC22s back in the day. First thing I did was pull the bbl and run a chamber reamer into it, every one produced a lot of chips. These are not target guns, you want an in-spec but loose chamber for reliability. Also make sure the bore and chamber are de-leaded, these tended to get shot a lot and ever since the rumor started that non-corrosive ammo doesn't require cleaning right after shooting, many folks take that to mean "ever". I can't count the number of autos I "repaired" simply by doing a good detailed cleaning. had one early 1920s Marlin 39 that was so leaded the bore was about .17 caliber!

Second thing was loose magwells, a strip of self stick labelmaker tape (the old thick plastic embossed kind not the newer heat activated stuff) stuck in the magwell to take up the slack and adjust the feed angle was sometimes helpful as well. They take a standard 10/22 style extractor IIRC, so an aftermarket upgaded one and spring would also be in order. In theory at least, the primary ejector is the left feed lip of the magazine. Like the 10/22, the ejector in the gun is only there to kick out an empty if fired without the mag in place. Or in the case of the TECs sloppy mag fit causing the feed lip to miss the rim...

And of course magazines are the main cause of misfeeds in just about every gun so try a few to find what works best in yours. I always used the stock Ruger 10rd ones to test with, if it worked with those any issues with the "Bananna Clips" with the gun were obviously mag related, not gun related.

BTW, once you learn how to hold them they can be bumpfired pretty well. I wonder if many Postie FA conversions are out there? I seem to recall someone was selling a conversion DVD, essentially they converted it to open bolt with a MAC FCG and stuck a real VZ61 stock on it, looked pretty cool in the ads!

Some were threaded some wern't..I have both.

If original threads ..there goofy pitched.
    Factory fake suppressors pop up now & then on gb.
    There were some other trinkets avl ....I forget whatall.

Original mags are marked " Scorpian "...Might be worth more than the gun.
    I think they are 20 rnd. iirc.

And yes a perfect mate to the tec 9..
    They both kinda suk with the kool factor.

Mine werk fine with the right mag.
    Ruger 10's have been the best, one don't work grab another.

Quote Originally Posted by theduke View Post
    Some were threaded some wern't..I have both.
    From the Wikipedia page (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intratec_TEC-22):

Original (TEC-22)
    The original TEC-22 variant featured a threaded barrel and a 30-round magazine. The barrel threading is ​1⁄2–20 and allows a barrel extension or suppressor to be attached. A small, knurled nut threads onto the barrel to protect the threading.

Sport-22
    The Sport-22 featured a non-threaded barrel and a 10-round rotary magazine to comply with the now expired 1994 U.S. firearms legislation which forbade the sale of the original TEC-22 model.

Dieter

UZI Talk Supporter
    This 1 has a knurled area at the muzzle; I tried turning it (thinking it was a thread protector) but it didn't budge.

+ Reply to Thread