UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Tec 22 Value ?

Quote Originally Posted by sniperdoc View Post
    This 1 has a knurled area at the muzzle; I tried turning it (thinking it was a thread protector) but it didn't budge.
    The originals were threaded 1/2"-20 with a knurled thread protector. The knurling was on both ends of the protector as raised rings, the middle was plain, and the protector was a larger diameter than the bbl. The post-ban "sport 22" had knurling directly on the bbl end, same diameter and a solid panel of it with no plain center section.

This might be a good thing if you want to suppress it, just cut proper 1/2"-28 threads on the plain bbl. The threaded ones would need the -20 tpi threads turned down, a sleeve attached, then the sleeve threaded -28 tpi to do it right. Cutting the bbl shorter has been known to cause cycling problems due to reduced backpressure/dwell time.

UZI Talk Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by slimshady View Post
    The originals were threaded 1/2"-20 with a knurled thread protector. The knurling was on both ends of the protector as raised rings, the middle was plain, and the protector was a larger diameter than the bbl. The post-ban "sport 22" had knurling directly on the bbl end, same diameter and a solid panel of it with no plain center section.

This might be a good thing if you want to suppress it, just cut proper 1/2"-28 threads on the plain bbl. The threaded ones would need the -20 tpi threads turned down, a sleeve attached, then the sleeve threaded -28 tpi to do it right. Cutting the bbl shorter has been known to cause cycling problems due to reduced backpressure/dwell time.
    Ok, the 1 I saw was the "Sport" model; the knurled area was a solid area, same diameter as the rest of the barrel.

Does this affect Value?

Ok, the 1 I saw was the "Sport" model; the knurled area was a solid area, same diameter as the rest of the barrel.

Does this affect Value?
    Well, it's not a "pre ban" but AFAIK, the only thing they did to "neuter" it was the plain bbl and a 10 rd magazine so I doubt there would be much difference in value. While the threaded bbl would normally be a selling point, the fact that it is in the less common 1/2"-20 thread pitch makes it less of one. To find general values I go on Gunbroker and search the completed auctions. Search both TEC-22 and Sport-22, they had to change the name as they were banned by name in the Fed AWB.

Quote Originally Posted by theduke View Post
    Some were threaded some wern't..I have both.

If original threads ..there goofy pitched.
    Factory fake suppressors pop up now & then on gb.
    There were some other trinkets avl ....I forget whatall.

Original mags are marked " Scorpian "...Might be worth more than the gun.
    I think they are 20 rnd. iirc.

And yes a perfect mate to the tec 9..
    They both kinda suk with the kool factor.

Mine werk fine with the right mag.
    Ruger 10's have been the best, one don't work grab another.
    Yep! My tec-22 sits right next to my "chrome" tec-9 lol. Both of my tecs run flawlessly! My hood rat gun man. Growing up I always wanted to be gangster and have the tec-9! lol

UZI Talk Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by slimshady View Post
    Well, it's not a "pre ban" but AFAIK, the only thing they did to "neuter" it was the plain bbl and a 10 rd magazine so I doubt there would be much difference in value. While the threaded bbl would normally be a selling point, the fact that it is in the less common 1/2"-20 thread pitch makes it less of one. To find general values I go on Gunbroker and search the completed auctions. Search both TEC-22 and Sport-22, they had to change the name as they were banned by name in the Fed AWB.

Thanks. Considering the fact that it's a "Ban Era" gun, AND it has PD Evidence Numbers engraved on the metal, do you think $240 is a good price?

UZI Talk Supporter
    I definitely don't "need' this gun ( I have an H&R 929 my Paternal Grandfather bought for me when I was very young), but I'd love to have it, if thr price is good.

Threaded bbl versions have sold for $180 - 250 for just the gun and maybe the plastic case it came in on Gunbroker. One with shroud was listed @ $299 and didn't sell until relisted, sold for $300. Which is amazing considering the the new old stock one with shroud went for $600!

Quote Originally Posted by Mackjack View Post
    Dude. I would not have bought a gun with a serial number ground off.

Try telling that story to the next cop that sees that gun and see how far it gets you.

Hard pass lol.
    Yeah, I know, last thing I wanna throw money onto is a gun used in a crime, god knows what it was used for exactly. Tried convincing him to just buy one on gunbroker or something, but for only $100 he wasn't gonna pass that deal.

But if someone wants to buy something from that, sure, go for it. Just not my cup of tea.

Thanks. Considering the fact that it's a "Ban Era" gun, AND it has PD Evidence Numbers engraved on the metal, do you think $240 is a good price?
    Personally, I would never buy anything that came from the PD, way too sketchy for my tastes. But this is a gun for you, so if buying something like that wouldn't bother you, I'd say go for it man

Ignoring the the fact it most likely came from PD, the price is certainly good, cheaper than the ones I see on gunbroker. Parts are plentiful too and shouldn't be too hard to fix things on it. And if you enjoy shooting .22 it'll make a nice range toy, if you can get it to run fine that is lol.

UZI Talk Supporter
    I'm really considering it.
    It being a seized gun doesn't bother me; the gun was likely seized from something nonviolent, and even if it was used in a violent crime, the gun didn't commit the crime.

I'm really considering it.
    It being a seized gun doesn't bother me; the gun was likely seized from something nonviolent, and even if it was used in a violent crime, the gun didn't commit the crime.
    Just get the dang thing .

At the price you’re paying you could easily get your money back if you end up hating it. I admit have a soft spot for cheap 80s guns like macs and tecs.

If only they had made a micro Mac in 22.....

UZI Talk Supporter
    Bit the bullet; it's on layaway

I borrowed one to "test out.
    It wouldn't fire more than one round before jamming. Needless to say, I returned it, and didn't buy it. They do look cool though. Good luck with it.

UZI Talk Supporter
    I'm hoping this one works, but it seems simple enough to repair if necessary.
    Re: Looks, it certainly is cooler looking than the Tec9!

I had one back in the 90's...ran great...shortly after the 94 ban a buddy offered 400 for it...needless to say it went with him. From what I remember you couldn't hit the side of a barn door with it from the inside.

friendly piece of advise from someone who has messed with these things some. Go ahead and order this - https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1004752735

The extractors on these things are complete shit and you will need to replace it. Second thing you wanna do is get a good magazine. I wouldn't even bother with the 50 rd mag, its not going to work 9/10. I'd shoot for a ruger branded 25 rd mag, which even then you will run into some issues. Keep an eye on how the mag is seated in the gun when you are firing it, it will move a little so you will have to play with it (moving it back and forwards) to see where the sweet spot is. I haven't tried it but I feel like the little 10 rd 10-22 mags that come with the ruger 22's when you buy one would probably feed the best in these guns.

I will say after monkeying with these guns they can run good and are really fun to shoot.

If you had trouble removing the "thread protector" then it may be one of the sport versions, which were made between 94-04 so it will not be threaded. I always advise staying away from these as you can't suppress them, which is probably the coolest part about these guns, but if you don't own a 22 suppressor no biggy.

UZI Talk Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by CobrayStinger View Post
    friendly piece of advise from someone who has messed with these things some. Go ahead and order this - https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1004752735

The extractors on these things are complete shit and you will need to replace it. Second thing you wanna do is get a good magazine. I wouldn't even bother with the 50 rd mag, its not going to work 9/10. I'd shoot for a ruger branded 25 rd mag, which even then you will run into some issues. Keep an eye on how the mag is seated in the gun when you are firing it, it will move a little so you will have to play with it (moving it back and forwards) to see where the sweet spot is. I haven't tried it but I feel like the little 10 rd 10-22 mags that come with the ruger 22's when you buy one would probably feed the best in these guns.

I will say after monkeying with these guns they can run good and are really fun to shoot.

If you had trouble removing the "thread protector" then it may be one of the sport versions, which were made between 94-04 so it will not be threaded. I always advise staying away from these as you can't suppress them, which is probably the coolest part about these guns, but if you don't own a 22 suppressor no biggy.
    Thanks for the advise.
    Yes, its the "Sport" model.
    I'm glad to know that it takes 10/22 Extractors; are there any other parts that are interchangeable?

Thanks for the advise.
    Yes, its the "Sport" model.
    I'm glad to know that it takes 10/22 Extractors; are there any other parts that are interchangeable?
    uhh not to my knowledge, just the mags and that extractor.

You can suppress the "sport" model, you just have to cut threads on the bbl. Since the threaded version uses an uncommon 1/2"-20 thread it is probably better to start with the unthreaded version and have it cut to the industry standard 1/2"-28. With the factory threaded bbl you have to have it sleeved and recut, use a thread adapter, or if your suppressor maker offers it, a rear cap in 1/2"-20.

The firing pins break sometimes.

The aftermarket ones are usually made of soft steel. There's never enough description to let you know enough about them. If someone knows a good supplier, please post it.

+ Reply to Thread