UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Galil IMI 1:7 .223 Virgin barrels (Blackthorne)

Galil IMI 1:7 .223 Virgin barrels (Blackthorne)

I have several and have and wanted to find out what they are going for?

Quote Originally Posted by tower06 View Post
    I have several and have and wanted to find out what they are going for?
    Are these the unfinished ones that are around?

Where did they come from?

Quote Originally Posted by Kalashnikev View Post
    Are these the unfinished ones that are around?

Where did they come from?
    Yes..in the white. Marked 12-88. Blackthorne was selling several years ago.

UZI Talk Life Member
    I think those "12-88"' ones don't have the IMI "proof" acceptance stamp, meaning they weren't "proof" tested by IMI, so were not "accepted" to put on production rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by AresShrike View Post
    I think those "12-88"' ones don't have the IMI "proof" acceptance stamp, meaning they weren't "proof" tested by IMI, so were not "accepted" to put on production rifles.
    The four I purchased were only marked with 12-88. I had Jeff Miller use one for my Galil build the second I had modified and sits on a Bulgy 74 in 5.56. It was the only 1/7 twist barrel around at the time. The Galil is dead on with the barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by AresShrike View Post
    This is correct. No circle-E or Circle-P proof means they were rejected for some reason, despite the reason not being clear.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Folgers View Post
    This is correct. No circle-E or Circle-P proof means they were rejected for some reason, despite the reason not being clear.
    WHen I had my rifle built by TennGalil, he said there were some minor issue with the chamber, I believe a small lip, or something. He reamed it to 5.56 since there were originally .223 as I recall, and the rifle is dead nuts. I know they were conformed to be IMI barrels. If memory serves, there was talk at the time these hit the market that they may have been 18" barrels that were cut down to 16.25". There were several threads in various forums about them.

questionable barrels

Were all of the barrels in question marked 12-88?

Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
    Were all of the barrels in question marked 12-88?
    All four that I purchased from Blackthorne were marked "12-88"

I bought a few in-white barrels from Blackthorne a few years back and all appear to be marked 96 or 97. I don't know what all of that means or how they stack up with the barrels marked 12-88. I don't see Circle E or Circle P proof marking, but there is a G stamped on them, whatever that may mean. Anyone have barrels from those two years or know anything about them?

Answering my own question. The "G" is a proof acceptance mark and they are good to go, according to Galil expert Jeff Miller. An oval O is another acceptance mark.

So will you be selling these? if so im interested?

I bought one of those Blackthorne Galil 1 in 7 barrels several years ago. Advertised as chrome lined- NOT! I believe the word on the net questioned if they were even IMI. I only paid like $35 for it so it does not matter that much to me, but I should have known you get what you paid for. I doubt I ever wear out my IMI 1 in 12 (especially since I rarely shoot it), but will keep this for "just in case".

The thing I did note on it was as I drew a cleaning patch (for a light coat of oil) through the barrel as the patch approached the muzzle it became extremely tight, like the bore diameter was smaller than .556. I tested it with my 1 in 12 Galil barrel (that came on the gun) by doing a "bullet test" (insert bullet in muzzle to see how far it goes into the bore) and the bullet would not go in as far as the 1 in 12. The 1 in 12 barrel was new or like new.

Link to barrel:
    Last edited by Paul Kersey; 05-15-2021 at 10:45 AM.

Paul,
    Blackie shipped a variety of barrels --some good and some not so good. I was luck and received chrome-lined, Galil proof stamped, 1:7 twist barrels.

Vlad-boho,

Will be selling some on Gunbroker.com. Will let you know when the sale posts.

+ Reply to Thread