UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Max 31A possible mod for quicker mag changes

UZI Talk Supporter
    Man now this is a good cabin fever production! Is he home printing them?

UZI Talk Supporter
    Yes, trying different materials, and testing on the steel and aluminum variants.

UZI Talk Supporter
    [IMG][/IMG]

Through beta, we discovered that the steel Max 31s are a different dimension than the aluminum ones. This is a prototype to work in the steel ones. Another version designed to allow converted stens is also in development.

very cool... good to hear theres progress

UZI Talk Life Member
    I've been honored to be part of the test team on the adapters for the early gen MAX31 and MAX31A uppers (I have both types) and was encouraged to provide some impressions here. They're making them in two different types of 3D Print plastic at this point. One is more rigid and allows mags to drop freely, so it's suited for those that compete with the Shockwave MAX mags. The other is of a material that is a bit more flexible so it's easy to get the adapters on and off but the mags don't quite drop free and I like better for normal range use. At this stage of the pre-production protoyping, I'd have to say that the fitment on both of the adapters for the non-mk2 MAX31 series is REALLY good!

A lot of time and thought has been put into these adapters, and when they hit production, you guys are going to like them!
    Last edited by Concorde; 04-11-2020 at 08:50 PM.
    Now hosting: www.MAC-11.info

Mr. Miata
    UZI Talk Life Member
    Weeeeeee!
    AWWWW NUTS!

REAL MEN DRIVE MIATAS

UZI Talk Supporter
    Pretty exciting stuff! This is cool to see it develop. Glad for your passion! Hoping mk2 gets some love one day
    Last edited by Gaujo; 04-12-2020 at 02:46 PM.

UZI Talk Supporter
    Mk2 is also fitting nicely. All max 31 models will be represented, including the 10/31...

Max 10/31 fits great. Very clever and convenient product!
    https://i.imgur.com/FJWBEdd.jpg

UZI Talk Supporter
    would the sten converter allow the loading of regular sten mags? That's a good idea if so. regular zmags would be good as well. This is a regular factory! That 3d printer must be running all night. Be cure to crack a window that stuff can be toxic ;-)

UZI Talk Supporter
    Thanks for participating and the feedback Grant!!!

Are you planning to offer these for sale once the design is finalized and fully tested? I'd certainly be willing to buy one.

UZI Talk Supporter
    Yes, my father in law intends to sell them.

UZI Talk Supporter
    [IMG][/IMG]

Fit and function is nice in my Max-31a mk2

That looks awesome! Can't wait to get one. Can you print them in black? I assume so, but I don't know anything about 3D printing

UZI Talk Supporter

Hi all,

With the generous help of some forum members and a couple local guys, these mag adapters are ready for release.

Please direct inquiries / orders to: RetroEngraving@gmail.com

PMs here will forward to the same email address, but I have no idea what this account's PM limit is.

There are 3 models for the steel uppers, and 3 models for aluminum ones.
    (1) a rigid white material that spits mags out fast, but grips tight on the gun
    (2) a natural color flexible nylon alloy that slips on and off real easy. Super tough but is not as dimensionally consistent (mags can drag without extra fitting work)
    (3) the same flex material above but dyed black (as black as i can get it anyway)

FYI, These are 3D printed parts. Not planning to mold or machine anything at this point. They will look like printed parts with obvious layering, etc. The toughest printing filaments seem to all be highly susceptible to moisture absorption, so changing humidity and temps can affect the surface quality.

Some background info for those interested in the development:

We tried various of materials -- based on price and availability -- and settled on two plastics that gave the most consistent results. They both maintain good strength, excellent chemical resistance, and can handle some heat. Above all, they were the least likely to delaminate under high stress -- once the optimal printer settings are discovered...

Finding the right settings (among something like 500 variables) is the most time intensive part of the process. A change in material manufacturer, mfg lot, or even a change in colors from the same mfr, can throw off the results. So there will necessarily be a limited selection at this point due to the amount of time required to optimize and test each filament. Since there was some concern over the color of the product, it seemed best to use a material that can be dyed as one of the model choices.

I'll try to post an image with the specs, but my browser security is making this difficult lately, so someone else may end up posting it. Please hang on if nothing shows up right away.

Or email for a PDF and details.

Thanks,
    Rog
    Attached Images  

Mr. Miata
    UZI Talk Life Member
    Emailed my order for an MK1 ZMag R and an MK2 ZMag R.

Thanks!
    AWWWW NUTS!

REAL MEN DRIVE MIATAS

UZI Talk Life Member
    Here's a photo of a prototype on an original generation/MK1 MAX-31A -- it also fits and works identically on my M11/9 MAX-31.

Now hosting: www.MAC-11.info

UZI Talk Supporter
    Thanks to All Who helped in this project. Please send any PMs, Or email him directly, about the adapters to RetroEngraving (My Father-in-law).

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by Offmarksman; 04-20-2020 at 09:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Offmarksman View Post
    Thanks to All Who helped in this project. Please send any PMs about the adapters to RetroEngraving (My Father-in-law).

[IMG][/IMG]
    Great business card. The female reminds me of someone.

The adapters should sell great.

+ Reply to Thread