UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 4 LastLast

Thread: Max 31A possible mod for quicker mag changes

UZI Talk Supporter

Max 31A possible mod for quicker mag changes

[IMG][/IMG]At my local Subgun matches, 30 (or so) round stick mags are encouraged to make the competition more fair. The Suomi ZMAGs are not very easy to swap, when you are competing. Wondering if funneling the mags by removing material (outlined in yellow) on my Max 31a would help, and if anyone would see a downside to doing this.

[/IMG]

Also, any other ideas or suggestions for improving stock mag changes with this upper?

I do have a max-11a/9, bit I prefer the slower ROF of the Max 31....

UZI Talk Supporter
    I have thought about this as well. Richard did make some kind of prototype magwell funnel, but it's not going to be produced.Also considered taking the top corners off the tabs but same as this I'm not sure how well it will lock up after you do that.

I struggle with this for some time, then I just started shooting drums unless they were ruled out. It's like Nascar, you've got a better engine, don't feel bad about it.

UZI Talk Life Member
    I did it for my modified Suomi upper. It was not a dramatic improvement.

UZI Talk Supporter
    Maybe you could make a sort of add on magwell. Then you could have a 360 degree funnel? 3d printed? Sheetmetal? That way you dont have to modify mags or upper

UZI Talk Supporter
    I imagine a 3d mag funnel could work, but it would have to be pressure fit as you would need to leave the mag catch free right?

UZI Talk Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaujo View Post
    I imagine a 3d mag funnel could work, but it would have to be pressure fit as you would need to leave the mag catch free right?
    It could be made in 2 pieces and use the recesses above the mag release for solid mounting. That is unless I'm missing something, I don't have a 31.

You know, it certainy should not hurt to make a bit of a funnel entering the rear guide. But I don't think that will address the real issue.

If you will notice, there is no problem inserting drums or coffin mags even though they have the same size catch. It's just the Z-Mags or Sten mags. The real issue is that these stick mags are too narrow side-to-side for the dimensions of the magwell. This leads to the issue where you can get the front corner of the mag aligned with the drum guide at the front of the magwell, leading to a tight jam-up if you try to insert very hard. Like this:

The drums and coffins are wider, so this isn't an issue with them.

I had thought about addressing this by adding a small locator button to the front of each mag. This would help align the mag with the front drum guide channel. I had cut a thin disc off of a 1/4" diameter brass rod to use as a locator button. This one is just super glued on as a proof of concept. I would have to solder the buttons in place to get them to stay put.

The jury is still out as to whether or not this will make much of a difference. When I'm using the MAX-31 in competition, I find I just have to really slow down and make sure the mag is aligned properly when making mag changes. Which is difficult at times, when trying to go as fast as possible. But taking a quarter-second longer on the mag change sure beats losing several seconds to a blown reload.

The other solution as mentioned by others would be to design an actual mag funnel. I think for this to work effectively, it would likely be a stick mag only proposition. It would likely interfere with drums or coffins. Actually, it would be kind of like the mag skirt on a Sweedish K. You could run with the mag funnel if shooting 30-round limited matches. Pull it off when shooting with no mag limits.

UZI Talk Supporter
    I actually just bought some delrin earlier today, to machine a “skirt” like you mentioned. Unless somebody else has a better idea, I will machine something up on the mill, and see how it works...

UZI Talk Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Offmarksman View Post
    I actually just bought some delrin earlier today, to machine a “skirt” like you mentioned. Unless somebody else has a better idea, I will machine something up on the mill, and see how it works...
    Can't wait!

UZI Talk Supporter
    Talked over the skirt concept with the father-in-law, and he decided to make a 3D snap-in/snap-out funnel that he is going to 3D print for me. I will post some pics of the development as the project progresses....

UZI Talk Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett View Post
    I had thought about addressing this by adding a small locator button to the front of each mag. This would help align the mag with the front drum guide channel. I had cut a thin disc off of a 1/4" diameter brass rod to use as a locator button. This one is just super glued on as a proof of concept. I would have to

I have read this 3 times and finally just understood what you are doing. I was thinking of it as being flat like a sticker, but now I see that it's raised and it's indexing to the drum guide, right? How does this perform? It seems like a really good idea, but can't you still catch the corners if you're not careful?

Quote Originally Posted by Gaujo View Post
    It seems like a really good idea, but can't you still catch the corners if you're not careful?
    It would still be possible, but should help, I think. I haven’t tried it under hard use, like at a match.

UZI Talk Supporter
    [IMG][/IMG]

Here is a pic of the Gen 1. Adapter. We’ve dubbed it the “Death Card Adapter.” Finish will improve as project progresses. Need to test it for functionality first...

Or you could just use coffin mags instead of the Z mags....Cost more but with the loader they load easily and have the added benefit of increased capacity.

Quote Originally Posted by Offmarksman View Post
    [IMG][/IMG]

Here is a pic of the Gen 1. Adapter. We’ve dubbed it the “Death Card Adapter.” Finish will improve as project progresses. Need to test it for functionality first...
    I don’t t even have a Max 31 upper but this is great. Can’t wait to see the finished product.

Death card adapter......very cool. Anxious to see your progress and feedback on its performance. I have the luxury of owning a pre-May dealer sample Swedish K and shoot my coffin’s out of it. Haven’t tried them in the Max-31 MK2 upper yet but will shortly. Also have Suomi 36rd mags I need to try in the M-11 as well. I tried the Z mags and found them to be a huge pain in the ass to load...also the loader for the coffin mags doesn’t work with the Z mags. Also have drums for the 31 upper as well and primarily run those with that application.

UZI Talk Supporter
    My local subgun club prefers we use 30 round sticks, to keep it fair for all competitors. The max 31a shoots at a perfect rate of fire in my opinion. The max 31 shoots even slower. This adapter will not be for everyone, but for those of us who like competitive shoots that require 30 round stick mags, I think this will be a good solution. Looking forward to testing it, and sharing with the UT community. If they work as well as I believe they will, my father in law may decide to sell these. Too early to provide pricing or an eta on when or if this becomes an option. Stay tuned...

UZI Talk Life Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stevo View Post
    Also have Suomi 36rd mags I need to try in the M-11 as well.
    Those are double-feed mags, so won’t work in the regular Max31 uppers unless you modify the bolt (or bought yours with the non-standard bolt).
    Now hosting: www.MAC-11.info

Ahh, good point. Thx!

UZI Talk Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by KickStand View Post
    I don’t t even have a Max 31 upper but this is great. Can’t wait to see the finished product.
    Very cool! Can you post more pictures and details of how this works? Curious how it attaches?

+ Reply to Thread