UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Help/Advice Lage Max-11 22

Help/Advice Lage Max-11 22 MK2

My brother and I tested out his Max-11 22 conversion kit today. The results were not the best. He's a little bummed but knows some of these kits need minor tweaking.

The problem is the rounds do not want to chamber all the way, and if they do the bolt doesn't have enough energy left to fire the round.

Below is what we tried to do:

-We cleaned the conversion kit before assembly and followed the instructions.
    -checked for Rem Lock.
    -checked for the correct orientation of the bullet in the mags.
    -The mags were extremely hard to insert, so we gently filed ONE down.
    -We used 5 different brands of 22 CCI, Aguila, Browning, Federal and Winchester.
    -We tried his mags that weren't filed down.
    -We used my mags that work great in my M11/22 conversion.
    -I brushed the mags out.
    -Took the kit apart several times and cleaned/inspected.
    -Tried adjusting the mag lower and higher.
    -Put approximately 500 rounds of various brands through it.

I started to think that maybe the gun could you a stronger recoil spring but then noticed the rounds had a cut/groove where they hit the barrel/chamber at the end of the feed ramp.

I also noticed the 22 barrel (barrel insert and Ejector plate) will easily turn in the trunion, really weird. Maybe for adjustment?

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated. We plan to Re-test the Lage 22 conversion kit this upcoming weekend.

Below is a video of today's testing.

Last edited by KickStand; 11-12-2020 at 12:36 PM.

UZI Talk Life Member
    The barrel should be tight in the trunnions/ejector plate. There is a groove cut into the edge of the barrel that the extractor lines up with. Please try Remington Golden bullet.

You can always send it back and we will go over it.
    Richard Lage
    Lage Manufacturing, L.L.C.
    www.max-11.com

Quote Originally Posted by m11stuff@hotmail.com View Post
    The barrel should be tight in the trunnions/ejector plate. There is a groove cut into the edge of the barrel that the extractor lines up with. Please try Remington Golden bullet.

You can always send it back and we will go over it.
    Talk about a fast response.
    I recall seeing a grove but the barrel isnít tight and easily spins by hand.

Iíll speak to my brother and see what he wants to do.

Thank you.

For the record, I have had zero luck with Aguila and Winchester in either of mine. Federal bulk will work, but regularly runs away for several rounds when you let off the trigger. Remington GB's run flawless, and do CCI's that I have tried. Try some GB's (if you can find them). I have no clue what ammo availability has to do with a damn virus, but it seems people are freaking out again.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Have you tried swapping your known good running upper and components one at a time with his to see of you can narrow down the problem?
    Please visit my FB page for the latest CF-W bolt information.
    https://www.facebook.com/VegasSMG/?ref

Update,
    My brother recently got his max-11 22 MK2 kit back from Lage. We tested it out today with 9 different manufacturers of 22 (including Remington golden bullets). We also used two different lowers, a 1983 (his) and a 1986 (mine). The results were not the best to say the least. Our testing got cut short because my brother got called into work for hurricane Eta. We plan on doing more testing next weekend. In the mean time any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. There was NO Rim Lock while testing. The failures appear to be either failure to extract or failure to chamber (possibly contributing to light primer strikes). We used a few different mags and plan on adjusting the height of them next range session.

Below is a compilation video and it’s on the longer side. I attempted to cut out a lot of vids to make it shorter but it still ran long.

Short video showing light primer strike and scraping of bullet. With a comparison of the Max11 22 extractor vs the M11 22 extractor.

Direct 1080hd links
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjJitlrwjAM
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuXIsgtQ_e4&t=155s

Any advice/recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by KickStand; 11-12-2020 at 12:37 PM.

UZI Talk Life Member

You have your kit, which runs superbly.

You have now another that runs like mine; like shit. No matter what I've done.

I have faith you'll figure it out. Personally I don't think you can rule out the lower. Good luck.
    My name is actually Scott and I really do live in Texas.

I know, not very creative but it is factual.

By the way - Facebook is truly evil; resist the urge to participate.

I never got mine running that well. I had a kit for the uzi that worked somewhat better, but I had to clan the mags every time I used the kit to get the best performance -- which was a PITA. I think the big problem is that these guns were not designed to shoot tiny 22 rounds. Its just too weak of a round. Plus 22 ammo seems to be the preferred round of the hoarder, so its been hard to find over the last decade.

Have you guys tried swapping the kits to each other’s Mac lower? Try swapping parts one by one? Tried rem golden bullets? I have another thread abt my kit not liking 6 different kinds of ammo but once I acquired some rem golden bullets, it ran 100%......

Please see the first video in post #6. We’ve tried almost every kind of 22 that’s currently available including golden bullets (my brothers thinks they’re the least reliable, lol). We’ve tried his upper and kit combo in both lower’s, NO Noticeable change.

We plan on changing bolts in each kit and ejector plate; however, I don’t have a mk2 upper.
    We plan on trying to play with the mag height, which we’ve already done extensively but going to go over it again and again.

I’m tempted to say it’s running WORSE since he got it back from Lage. I’m NOT being rude just stating what I’ve personally seen. Frankly, it’s awesome that Lage is still working on these kits and it says a lot about him for not charging anything for the trunnion barrel issue that was part of the previous issue. Which I thought / hoped was the main issue, guess not.

I’ve stated before to numerous people that your kit is likely to work great, somewhere in between, and not work. I think this is largely due to all the variables with the m11/9 plat form. However, I thought my kit was going to be the one with issues but I was wrong. My kit runs like a top. After awhile I had some feeding issues with the magazine spring being too weak. The straw has since fixed that issue.
    Last edited by KickStand; 11-12-2020 at 08:02 PM.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Where are the wear points on the kit?

Quote Originally Posted by strobro32 View Post
    Give me a few and I’ll Upload a video.

UZI Talk Life Member

Kickstand - I have an older M11/22 kit for the MAC factory upper. I bought it used so I don't know how old it is.
    My name is actually Scott and I really do live in Texas.

I know, not very creative but it is factual.

By the way - Facebook is truly evil; resist the urge to participate.

StroBro see video below. You can hear the dog in the background.

Direct 1080hd Link
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqyQsauSkZU

Quote Originally Posted by ScottinTexas View Post
    Kickstand - I have an older M11/22 kit for the MAC factory upper. I bought it used so I don't know how old it is.

Thank you.
    Last edited by KickStand; 11-12-2020 at 09:32 PM.

UZI Talk Life Member
    The bolt is rubbing on the top of the upper. That is why the extractor is rubbing on the top of the extractor slot. That is robbing energy and also why the bullets are shaved on the feed ramp.

Some of the aluminum uppers have a slightly smaller bolt channel than the steel uppers. Check the inner diameter to a steel upper to compare. It also looks like the bottom of the barrel liner is rubbing on the bottom of the upper so it's tight in the upper. The bolt channel may be too small. Removing a few thou from the bolt spacer may help... but first bending the 9mm barrel down a few thousandths would be my first choice. The barrel liner should be tight on the bottom of the upper.

The bolt is rubbing on the top of the upper. That is why the extractor is rubbing on the top of the extractor slot. That is robbing energy and also why the bullets are shaved on the feed ramp.

Some of the aluminum uppers have a slightly smaller bolt channel than the steel uppers. Check the inner diameter to a steel upper to compare. It also looks like the bottom of the barrel liner is rubbing on the bottom of the upper so it's tight in the upper. The bolt channel may be too small. Removing a few thou from the bolt spacer may help... but first bending the 9mm barrel down a few thousandths would be my first choice. The barrel liner should be tight on the bottom of the upper.
    Thanks strobro, the advice is greatly appreciated. I know you’ve spent a lot of time modifying Lage 22 kits; however,..........
    I’m not sure that my brother wants to go filing and bending anything since he just got it back from Lage and it’s under warranty. He sent the upper AND the 22 conversion kit back at the same time. Lage did a barrel alignment as well. I’m not saying your right or wrong. I would think that Lage would have inspected everything. Also, it’s possible some of the wear is from when the barrel was previously loose in the trunnion.

See his receipt below.

I will compare my m11/9 upper inside diameter to the Lage MK2 upper and see what’s what.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Another reason for the bolt rubbing on the top of the upper is the mags sit too high. The feed lips push up on the liner plate and forces the bolt spacer to rub on the top of the upper. This is easy to check. With the kit in the gun, watch through the ejection port to see if the plate and bolt moves upward with a magazine is inserted. It's also noticed when the extractor hits and then slides under the extractor slot.

It's not a problem with the kit. It's a problem with the variations in specs between lowers. This is not something Richard can diagnose or fix, unless you send your lower in for inspection.

The fix is remove a few K from the mag catch. This did not affect the 9mm upper as it is not as critical as 22. and catches are easy and cheap to replace if you screw it up. That way you will not need to file all the mags.
    Last edited by strobro32; 11-13-2020 at 10:04 AM.

Another reason for the bolt rubbing on the top of the upper is the mags sit too high. The feed lips push up on the liner plate and forces the bolt spacer to rub on the top of the upper. This is easy to check. With the kit in the gun, watch through the ejection port to see if the plate and bolt moves upward with a magazine is inserted. It's also noticed when the extractor hits and then slides under the extractor slot.

It's not a problem with the kit. It's a problem with the variations in specs between lowers. This is not something Richard can diagnose or fix, unless you send your lower in for inspection.

The fix is remove a few K from the mag catch. This did not affect the 9mm upper as it is not as critical as 22. and catches are easy and cheap to replace if you screw it up. That way you will not need to file all the mags.
    Thank you for the advice. I will look into this early next week (Iím working all weekend). Iíve also got some snap caps coming.

One thing Iíve notice with his Lage upper, itís really tight (in both lowers 83 and 86). By that I mean the take down pin hole doesnít line up well. You have to squeeze them (the lower and upper) together to get the pin in (the corresponding Lage hole sits fairly high). When we shot on Veterans Day, I asked if it was this tight with his lower and he said ďyesĒ. I donít own any Lage upperís and he only owns one. He had one factory upper and I hav two and none of them are that far off. I guess that could impact the 22 kit (possibly binding it some). It happens with his 83 lower and my 86 lower.

+ Reply to Thread