UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: JAWS 10 /45 aka Avenger Commando out of spec thread

UZI Talk Supporter

JAWS 10 /45 aka Avenger Commando out of spec thread

I have been upgrading parts on my JAWS 10/45, or Jersey Arms Works, Inc. Avenger Commander 45 acp to be accurate. I know there are not many of these, but over time others will likely be searching for the information I've been uncovering myself, so I decided to document the out of spec items I'd found in a thread for posterity.

My gun has the cobray logo without the circle around it. It has what appears to be a standard safety, not the garand style. If someone could tell me if that is SWD finished, or original JAWS I'd appreciate the knowledge.

1. Extended Mag catch: I bought a Practical Solutions paddle mag release and had to file it to fit. It was much longer than the JAWS original. File it and cut it to match the original.
    2. Lage Mk1 upper: I have Max-10/45 mk1 with metal foregrip. This did not fit with the metal foregrip, but it did fit without it. To work around this, I slightly egged out the mounting holes to allow me to shift metal foregrip forward slightly instead of filing it to fit. I expect a Mk2 will not fit out of the box.
    3. Lage ace pattern stock adapter: I had to grind the sides of the inner threaded rectangular piece to fit in side of my JAWS lower. The lower is apparently more narrow than stock.

I will keep adding to this thread over time as I discover more stuff. Please post any information you have if you own a JAWS or just anything at all JAWS related!
    Last edited by Gaujo; 09-08-2020 at 05:06 PM.

I've ordered both uppers for a JAWS M-10. They had different part numbers for the same upper for a JAWS gun vs. a Georgia gun. Don't know what the difference in the uppers is.

UZI Talk Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by renovate7 View Post
    I've ordered both uppers for a JAWS M-10. They had different part numbers for the same upper for a JAWS gun vs. a Georgia gun. Don't know what the difference in the uppers is.
    Where did you order from that sells different uppers for JAWS guns?

Quote Originally Posted by Gaujo View Post
    Where did you order from that sells different uppers for JAWS guns?
    I think he is talking about the lage mk1 upper and the mk2 upper he ordered. Lage does have a separate part number for the jaws and texas guns. From memory the rear where it goes over the back of the gun is opened up a little more.

Here is a link from this site on this gun.

http://www.uzitalk.com/forums/showth...highlight=Jaws

The series is Commando and the Model is Avenger so these guns are called the Commando Avenger guns. These were originally made as open bolt semi auto pistols. BATF classified these pistols as machine guns and made Jersey Arms Works register them as machine guns. There were only about 500 of these pistols made and they all went into storage when JAWS went out of businesx. SWD bought about 377 of these guns and rebuilt them into closer copies of the original MAC 10/45's. SWD replaced the back strap that had a notch type rear sight with one that had a peep sight, they opened up one side of the sear pin hole so that it would a accept a selector pin, modified the feed ramp so it would work with a standard MAC upper, opened up the holes in the back so a stock would fit, installed the stock latch parts, installed reinforcing tabs on the receiver pin holes, and parkerised the receivers. They then sold the completed guns. My two stripped receivers were from the other 125 or so left over guns.

UZI Talk Supporter
    That's pretty rare Boomer. I suppose one has to decide: do you modify them to use std uppers or keep them original for posterity?

UZI Talk Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaujo View Post
    That's pretty rare Boomer. I suppose one has to decide: do you modify them to use std uppers or keep them original for posterity?
    That would come down to, did you buy it to shoot it, or collect it? I would think that 90+% of buyers would be buying to shoot it. YMMV.

Scott

So just asking...My JAWS has the notch type rear site and no reinforcing on the receiver pin holes. Can't see any evidence the stock holes have been modified. This came to me with almost perfect park and no wear on the internals. Would this be one that didn't go thru SWD? And no way of geussing where it's been?

I had heard that the guy I bought my two receivers from had assembled some guns and sold them as complete guns. You may have one of those. The original receivers would not fit a stock and the stock latch hardware was not installed. A stock will not fit unless the two square holes in the back are opened up enough to allow the stock to be installed.
    Last edited by boomer535; 09-02-2020 at 05:16 AM.

I suspect that JAWS sold about 125 guns to class three dealers and put the other 377 in storage. It was those 377 guns that SWD acquired. When I get a chance Iíll do a video on my gun and leave a link to it here.

UZI Talk Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by A&S Conversions View Post
    That would come down to, did you buy it to shoot it, or collect it? I would think that 90+% of buyers would be buying to shoot it. YMMV.

Scott
    That's how things get even more rare. Lots of the 1963 split window corvettes were modified to single window, now the split window is rare. I have a SWD which is allready done, so luckily I didn't have to decide. In 20 or 30 years there may be MAC collectors. Nobody ever thought DAIS steel vs aluminum would matter, or bolt vs rr uzi. Who knows, but these are some of the rarest production line MACs.

Here is a link to a video I made comparing my JAWS Commando Avenger to my PS MAC M10/45.

https://youtu.be/EPLxOwS7YGA

UZI Talk Supporter
    Bravo! That's the first time I've seen a blued original JAWS.

I've always thought that while all wire stocks make a poor shoulder stock, the JAWS is the best of the bunch. In time it may indeed be recognized as a collectible. I assume only the SWD finished JAWS has this stock?

We should try and contact the Hatton industry guy and see if we could interview him!
    Last edited by Gaujo; 09-08-2020 at 11:15 AM.

SWD used a Stock that they were already using on their shotgun. It was cheaper then tooling up to make more of the crappy wire stocks. I ended up getting a CAR-15 adapter for both guns. SWD also re-welded the receivers of the Texas MAC guns that they resold.

Here is a link to a short video of my Son shooting our JAWS Commando Avenger with an old SWD suppressor.

https://youtu.be/wwv1jh3K9rw

UZI Talk Supporter
    Boomer, I assume there aren't any JAWS original uppers?

There has to have been original JAWS uppers. I have never seen one though. I guess Wayne Daniels would know. He was in charge of SWD when he bought up those 377 guns. Where they complete or stripped receivers? Maybe SWD rebuilt the uppers as well. Out of the 143 guns that SWD didnít get There must be at least one that is original and complete.

UZI Talk Supporter
    If you ever want to measure stuff on another Jaws gun, let me know and I'll bring it over!

John

UZI Talk Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by boomer535 View Post
    There has to have been original JAWS uppers. I have never seen one though. I guess Wayne Daniels would know. He was in charge of SWD when he bought up those 377 guns. Where they complete or stripped receivers? Maybe SWD rebuilt the uppers as well. Out of the 143 guns that SWD didn’t get There must be at least one that is original and complete.
    Does anyone know the s/n range? (1-143?) in order to answer that question?

+ Reply to Thread