UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lightnin grip loader and rim-lock

*UPDATE* Lightnin grip loader and rim-lock

I used my lightnin grip loader today and shot approximately 1,100 rounds today. Towards the end of my range session, I started to get rim lock with every mag. Sometimes there were multiple rims locked per mag.

I tried various ammo, tilted the mag/loader and tried pressing the lever with various pressure.
    I plan on cleaning it tomorrow.

Do you all have any ideas or has this happened with your loader?

update, see video below and or post #20

Last edited by KickStand; 08-04-2020 at 03:46 PM.

UZI Talk Supporter
    When my mags get dirty I have to force the loader more and I think that causes the rounds to jump over the next one from excess force

UZI Talk Life Member
    I believe strobro? posted a fix for this issue. I have not tried it yet. The lightening grip loader can over insert a round into the mag. He installed a stop to prevent over travel of the cam. If you search around you can probably find it.

I've had the same issue as you describe.
    If I was you
    I'd be worried about me.

UZI Talk Life Member
    If I was you
    I'd be worried about me.

Quote Originally Posted by greenpeas View Post
    I believe strobro? posted a fix for this issue. I have not tried it yet. The lightening grip loader can over insert a round into the mag. He installed a stop to prevent over travel of the cam. If you search around you can probably find it.

I've had the same issue as you describe.
    Thank guys.

I read that post before posting my ?.
    I tried to manually manipulate it several times with the trigger and can稚 get it any better (less trigger and more trigger pull).
    Strobro32 mentioned that they might deteriorate over time. I知 kinda in agreement but I知 going to clean it and try another lage adapter.

Any advice is appreciated.

UZI Talk Life Member
    I've gone through 4 LG loaders and 5 Lage adapters so far. The tab that connects on the top of the adapter can break easily so the newer versions have been reinforced.

Something has changed. My newer adapter/loader does not work nearly as reliably as the older ones.

We really need to look into this. I would like to contact McFadden and ask them about it. I will probably need to send them more mags again.

There is also another variable I've noticed. Some of the newer Lage mags need even more altering to the catch slot to lock in to the grip than the older ones. If the Black Dog Machine molds have changed, it could change something on the adapter even though the adapter don't lock in to the catch.

UZI Talk Life Member
    I thought at that time the mod was a fix. Now I think the adapter needs a revision.

UZI Talk Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by strobro32 View Post
    There is also another variable I've noticed. Some of the newer Lage mags need even more altering to the catch slot to lock in to the grip than the older ones. If the Black Dog Machine molds have changed, it could change something on the adapter even though the adapter don't lock in to the catch.
    I've noticed this as well. My new ones also seem a teeeeeeny bit wider

Perhaps different plastics causing different expansion and contraction compared to what was used before

UZI Talk Life Member

I have 10 BD / Lage mags purchased after 2015. They all required deepening of the mag catch to latch in.

I have a Lightning Loader + adapter purchased ~2018. It has never successfully loaded any of these mags without a rim lock somewhere....to the best of my recollection.
    My name is actually Scott and I really do live in Texas.

I know, not very creative but it is factual.

By the way - Facebook is truly evil; resist the urge to participate.

POSSIBLE solution, see vid below.
    I tried numerous things and this is what I came up with. I loaded the magazines probably 5 times each and this really seemed to help. I値l do more testing and maybe use a screw as an over travel stop. I still think these loaders have a lifespan; unfortunately, the life span might be on the shorter side.
    Please let me know if this helps.
    Sorry for the video quality.

Last edited by KickStand; 04-06-2020 at 05:32 PM.

UZI Talk Life Member
    I'll give it a try.

When I first got my loader I didnt have any problems. After about 2-3 bricks I started getting rim lock. I put it down and forgot about it until I saw this post.

I watched the video and was able to duplicate the results. I ended up drilling a small hole enough for a paper clip to stop the trigger from depressing more than it needed to. It would seem I am able to load as fast as I can pull the trigger without any rim lock in the small amount of testing I have done.

I did not modify my mags at all. All of my mags were new like the loader.

EDIT

I kept experimenting and ended up having problems again. Cleaned all the mags and lubed with graphite. Helped briefly but ended up getting rim lock again. No idea what changed and how I was getting rim lock again. I was busy focusing on the loading of the mag that I forgot an important step Hit the back of the magazine against a hard service. Getting much less rim lock by doing so.
    Last edited by Doobis; 04-07-2020 at 12:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Doobis View Post
    When I first got my loader I didnt have any problems. After about 2-3 bricks I started getting rim lock. I put it down and forgot about it until I saw this post.

I watched the video and was able to duplicate the results. I ended up drilling a small hole enough for a paper clip to stop the trigger from depressing more than it needed to. It would seem I am able to load as fast as I can pull the trigger without any rim lock in the small amount of testing I have done.

I did not modify my mags at all. All of my mags were new like the loader.
    Awesome.
    I知 going to shoot tomorrow and report back. I really like the paper clip idea.

UZI Talk Life Member
    When I originally modified the LGL for the Lage/BDM mags I used a piece of thick foam adhesive tape on the lever to keep the grip from over compressing. I eventually removed it because loading my 15-11 mags needed the full compression. Then I bought a second loader just for the Lage adapter and mags but I noticed different ammo needed different spacing. This mod would be good for a dedicated Lage mag loader with a dedicated brand of ammo.

I still think we should talk to McFadden for the adapter to be modified so a dedicated loader is not needed. I sure with a gen 2, they could fix these problems.

UZI Talk Life Member
    I talked with Dave @McFadden. He is the one who jumped on this project the first time I called in. I let him know what's going on. They are busy making medical parts right now but he will look into it during his free time. He will try to make a 2.0 adapter.

Good peeps.

UZI Talk Life Member
    I was one of the early adopters for the McFadden loader and my printed Lage adapter looks fairly crude. I couldn’t begin to guesstimate how many thousands of rounds I’ve loaded into early Lage .22 black dog magazines using my loader. Just for the record, I’m using deliberate and full compression of the loader’s trigger.
    Please visit my FB page for the latest CF-W bolt information.
    https://www.facebook.com/VegasSMG/?ref

UZI Talk Life Member
    Dave actually suggested to me to pull the trigger only enough to load the rounds. He also suggested we pull the trigger slowly.

I told him that a few of us had discovered those techniques and found them useful. We also found it to be more useful with certain brands of ammo and less with other depending on COAL. He is optimistic a revised adapter can be made to be more reliable with a variety of brands.

Quote Originally Posted by strobro32 View Post
    I talked with Dave @McFadden. He is the one who jumped on this project the first time I called in. I let him know what's going on. They are busy making medical parts right now but he will look into it during his free time. He will try to make a 2.0 adapter.

Good peeps.

Sounds like a great company and they are made in the U.S.A.

I値l have another video up tonight.
    The vid will speak for itself, I used several manufacturer痴 ammo.

The video is longer than normal.
    I ended up not drilling a screw or a paper clip into the loader. I was able to hold the trigger at an angle and use my figher as the over travel stop. I might end up putting a paper clip in though. The straw seems to help and I would recommend anyone with Rim Lock to give it a try.

Last edited by KickStand; 04-08-2020 at 01:20 AM.

+ Reply to Thread