UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 4 LastLast

Thread: The SHTF folding stock - an experiment

The ‘home workshop” folding stock - an experiment

I’m aware many of you are making significant investments in your MAC-based weaponry. While I appreciate that and am fascinated to watch your work, I am thinking of the minimalist “sheet metal” approach that generated this weapon in the first place. And so I’ve rolled this around in my mind: what would be involved in making a useful folding stock, in the absence of a machine shop? I will update this thread as I make progress. But for now, I think I have a workable method to make a side folder for an M11/9 semiauto - all from materials available at Lowes for less than $30.

NOTE: I AM EDITING THIS LIST BASED ON RESULTS.
    SMALLER FONTS ARE THE MATERIALS NO LONGER NEEDED
    MATERIALS IN RED ARE ADDITIONS TO ORIGINAL LIST
    Materials:
    2 heavy duty National Hardware commercial hinge, 4.5”
    1 short aluminum rod, 3/8” diameter (you need less than two inches of this)
    1 short steel rod, 5/16” diameter (this can be aluminum if you can find it, but Lowes does not carry that diameter)
    1 dark gray 1/2” pvc sprinkler riser, 18”
    2 90-degree pvc 1/2” connector
    1 moderate duty compression spring, 5/16” internal diameter (you might need a local hardware shop for this)
    1 slotted spring pin, 1/8”
    1 E-clip, 5/16”
    1 small can flat black spray paint
    1/4” rubber fuel hose, 8 inch length

Tools:
    Dremel with cutting wheels and router bit
    One-hand sledgehammer
    Drill
    Bench vise
    It helps to have a few other tools available, but you can get by with those.

Each hinge has a three-knuckle plate, and a two-knuckle plate. I’m using the two-knuckle plate. I’m using this brand and grade because unlike some inferior hinges, these knuckles are very precise. Exactly what’s needed to keep the 5/16” ‘pin’ of this folding stock stable. I looked at some weldable (no screw hole) hinges, but none are precise enough.

If you happen to have a sheet metal bender around, you don’t need the second hinge. I’m using the second hinge, locked into my vise, as a sheet metal bender (combined of course with the hammer).

Will edit this later. Time for some yard work.
    Last edited by Mike1911; 05-09-2020 at 06:16 PM. Reason: Revamping materials list based on progress

UZI Talk Life Member
    Dew it. Post pics.

UZI Talk Supporter
    I'm interested in seeing what you come up with.
    Does your design include a way for the stock to lock in place?

Lost me at semi-auto.

UZI Talk Supporter
    Please post pics during the process?

I'd like to see pics too.
    I keep things pretty basic most of the time. Hell I still use the M10 factory stock with my 10/31 upper.

Quote Originally Posted by MACchat View Post
    Lost me at semi-auto.
    Fool me once, shame on.... oh wait, wrong cliche.

You can’t please everyone. Though I’m optimistic that it could work for many full-auto MACs too.

UZI Talk Supporter

Hey, I love my semi-M11/9's as much as my select-fire Macs.
    Each has its place and purpose.

Post pics when you get this project rolling

UZI Talk Supporter
    You forgot step one.

The form 1 SBR stamp.

You will have a SHTF scenario with a semi m11 and a stock.

And the minimalist penalty is 10/10 stock with all kinds of yard time.

Yes post up lots of pix on the progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Poacher View Post
    I'd like to see pics too.
    I keep things pretty basic most of the time. Hell I still use the M10 factory stock with my 10/31 upper.
    Quote Originally Posted by Offmarksman View Post
    Please post pics during the process?
    A few of the components to start. Ok, let’s build.

I cut off a full tube of one connector. I then put a lengthwise slit in it.

After a bit of pushing and a few taps with a hammer, it’s fully in. This will be the end that is attached to the hinge.

Final pic for today: the hinge. The knuckle I’ll be utilizing has been hammered ‘in’, and a detent milled in using the dremel.

The other knuckle will be removed, and part of it utilized as a collar for the 5/16” steel pivot rod.
    Notches will be cut in the knuckle to receive tongues on the collar. This plus the detent will lock it in place when deployed, and the tongue/notch arrangement will keep it in place when folded.

@root: mine’s a carbine 16.5” barrel, so I don’t have the SBR issue.
    Last edited by Mike1911; 05-03-2020 at 06:24 PM.

Btw, here’s the carbine. The ‘empty’ rail usually has a green laser with pressure switch.
    I’m going to have the stock fold on the left side. First reason is that the flashlight and the laser are both on that side, so it takes up no additional space to have the stock fold left. Second reason is that folding left means that whether folded or deployed, the stock never interferes with any of the functions.

UZI Talk Supporter
    Barrel looks rather cool.

Keep it coming.

Rich

I thought of something as I slept. The path I’m pursuing with the pvc would work for a short time, but would loosen - as it would ultimately be dependent on a small slotted spring pin. But I can do better.

PVC softens in boiling water. So what I’m going to do is a few bends in the 5/16” rod, then soften the pvc and slide it on. But before I can do that, the hinge needs to have some progress. So that will be occurring over the next few days.

If your SHTF gun is a semi mac, you have poor decision making skills.

UZI Talk Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by Fishman View Post

Wow.
    You go to war with what you have.

One mind, any weapon.

A properly set up semi M11/9 carbine puts a 9mm round in the exact same place a HK MP5 9mm on semi does.

I am interested in following the thought processes of a person developing a new product, under the parameters he listed.

All of the innovations we have for the Mac family of weapons started with some guy somewhere that had an idea.
    I respect that and applaud those willing to take a risk.

An experiment

Come on Fisherman... We don't need to play elite games. I agree that 9mm delivered to the bad guy by whatever platform is a game changer.

UZI Talk Supporter
    in SHTF, I wouldn't be worrying about a folding stock. I'd whittle one out of a 2/4 and drill a hole for the stock button hole to screw it in. Your biggest problem will be having nothing to screw through with a semi auto.

UZI Talk Supporter

The semi M11/9 carbine stock uses a hook screw through the sling hole on the under side of the receiver to secure it underneath. The upper side of the stock simlly hooks over the rear sight.
    Maybe he could rig up something similar.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishman View Post
    It’s not and that kinda misses the point, but I’ll play ��

If it really does hit the fan, a semi Mac can easily be made binary. 4 trigger pulls per second is not difficult, resulting in a cyclic rate of 480 rpm. Besides - ammo conservation becomes a huge consideration in that circumstance, so high cyclic rates are not very desirable. Carbine barrel is certainly less maneuverable, but generates higher velocity.

As to that last point, I’ve wondered what the optimum barrel length would be for a pistol cartridge with a straight blowback weapon. With a gas tube and locking bolt, all the energy (aside from barrel friction) goes to moving the bullet until you get to the gas port near the muzzle. But with blowback, some of the energy is immediately lost and never propels the bullet. Certainly the hammer spring tension and bolt mass affect the amount of energy lost....

Of course such studies would have to have been done, and the physics involved should be fairly easy to compute even in the absence of a live ammo test range. Bottom line is that you are probably correct: any pistol-caliber weapon is likely the wrong weapon in a real society-wide SHTF scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackBelt View Post
    The semi M11/9 carbine stock uses a hook screw through the sling hole on the under side of the receiver to secure it underneath. The upper side of the stock simlly hooks over the rear sight.
    Maybe he could rig up something similar.

My first concept was to hook over the rear sight, and bolt into the sling hole. That would also have provided an upper ‘tongue’ into which a rudimentary folder could lock. The problem is that the available weldable (no screw hole) hinges just don’t have enough precision in the knuckle to support that. So I’m using the 4.5” hinge. Unfortunately, the screw hole in the hinge does not line up with the sling hole. So my final product will bolt into the sling hole, and that will be that.

+ Reply to Thread