UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 4 LastLast

Thread: The SHTF folding stock - an experiment

UZI Talk Supporter
    Ok Ill play too.

SHTF:
    1) You're never shooting full auto post SHTF. Full auto will attract attention, exactly the opposite of what you want to do in a SHTF scenario. You want to employ the minimum force required to resolve the situation.
    2) if you're defending a well stocked postion, like your home, use a .30 cal rifle.
    3) If you have to travel far distances and chose a pistol caliber fiirearm, you'd want something light like a glock. Adding a stock to a good pistol could actually be worth doing. A Mac would weigh more without adding any value.

But hey, it's cool to do it just to see what you can accomplish, not knocking the ingenuity or effort.
    Last edited by Gaujo; 05-04-2020 at 12:48 PM.

I like where this guy's head is at.

a semi Mac can easily be made binary.
    [Source needed]

Or heres a neat idea:
    A 9mm handgun and a select fire 223 rifle

Quote Originally Posted by Fishman View Post
    [Source needed]
    Isaac Newton famously generated a “thought experiment” to help his contemporaries grasp universal gravitation. It involved a cannon, and the idea of firing it at higher velocities. It was not possible in that time to actually put an earth-bound item into orbit, but he got the point across.

With the MAC semiauto action, the hammer has two ‘hooks’. One at the top of the hammer, and one nearer the pivot. The one at the top catches the sear plate after a round is fired (this is the source of “trigger slap”). When the user releases the trigger, that hook releases the sear plate - and then the sear plate catches the lower hook. When you pull the trigger, this hook is released from the sear plate.

To make the rear hook not engage, you shave a bit of material off of it. You now have a gun that will “auto follow”. The round on which you pull the trigger will fire; the rear hook will not engage, so the bolt will return to battery and the hammer will follow. This will not fire the round in all likelihood, as the hammer - being obstructed by the returning bolt - will not develop nearly enough speed/momentum to get a good strike on the firing pin.

How do we re-engage the rear hook?
    We increase sear plate travel. We do this by increasing trigger travel.
    To do that, we cut some material off the front ‘tongue’ of the hammer - and we then turn the fire control lever 90 degrees, so the trigger can travel further. This pushes the sear plate back further, which once again engages the rear hook of the hammer. Release the trigger, and the rear hook releases without engaging the front hook.

Binary trigger. Not ATF legal unless you design a mechanism that prevents the auto-follow entirely, but a binary trigger nonetheless. Then again, if SHTF the ATF will become kinda irrelevant anyway.

I changed the thread title. Too many indicators that folks stopped reading at ‘SHTF’ lol

Or I tried to change it. Doesn’t seem to be working

Pics of progress.

Squaring and etching my eventual fold line prior to any cuts:

Pre-cuts with dremel to remove some excess prior to fold

Finished the two small cuts with hacksaw, bending on long cut line to remove excess chunk. You can clearly see how heavy the steel is, and how precise the knuckle. Need to remove as much steel as possible to make bending easier.

After this I’ll do the fold. Perhaps later today. But I do not want to rush it, it needs to be precise. I will likely use the dremel to etch a small cut where the fold line needs to be. Not to the edges though, and not deep. Just enough to ensure the fold is in the correct location and orientation.
    Last edited by Mike1911; 05-05-2020 at 09:56 AM.

UZI Talk Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaujo View Post
    Ok Ill play too.

SHTF:
    1) You're never shooting full auto post SHTF. Full auto will attract attention, exactly the opposite of what you want to do in a SHTF scenario. You want to employ the minimum force required to resolve the situation.
    2) if you're defending a well stocked postion, like your home, use a .30 cal rifle.
    3) If you have to travel far distances and chose a pistol caliber fiirearm, you'd want something light like a glock. Adding a stock to a good pistol could actually be worth doing. A Mac would weigh more without adding any value.

But hey, it's cool to do it just to see what you can accomplish, not knocking the ingenuity or effort.
    I'm coming out the front door with a Model "FAVORITE" Stevens falling block 22 LR and a Real Colt 3rd model Dragoon.

If that don't deter SHTF looters & zombies the kids will open up with the crew served beltfeds. Gonna save the M10 in case I get cornered in a fone both or fridge.

Rich

Mr. Miata
    UZI Talk Life Member
    Full auto in combat has very limited usefulness. I once asked Kyle Lamb (blackhawk down Delta gentleman) about using full auto and he said, "we don't."
    AWWWW NUTS!

REAL MEN DRIVE MIATAS

Quote Originally Posted by Jmacken37 View Post
    Full auto in combat has very limited usefulness. I once asked Kyle Lamb (blackhawk down Delta gentleman) about using full auto and he said, "we don't."
    But stabilizing a weapon in order to enhance accuracy has incredible usefulness. Especially when every shot needs to count. As does the ability to make the weapon as compact as possible for transport, storage etc. So my little project, to see what it takes to make one such device without a full machine shop from materials available at your home improvement or hardware store.

Mr. Miata
    UZI Talk Life Member
    Mike1911,

My comments were not addressed to you at all. Full auto in a subgun is very different proposition. I was addressing the concept of using a battle rifle in combat. I'm looking forward to what you are doing.
    AWWWW NUTS!

REAL MEN DRIVE MIATAS

Quote Originally Posted by Jmacken37 View Post
    Mike1911,
    My comments were not addressed to you at all. Full auto in a subgun is very different proposition. I was addressing the concept of using a battle rifle in combat. I'm looking forward to what you are doing.
    I understood that... my reply, while to you, was not ‘at’ you.
    Given another chance, I certainly would have chosen a different thread title. lol

EDIT: more progress. Starting to look less like a mangled hinge, and more like a gun part?

Last edited by Mike1911; 05-05-2020 at 03:50 PM.

The fitting.... it’s good. Slight adjustments might be needed, but unlikely.

And if I get lucky, I might be able to do the wrap-over like the stock that came with the unit.

From here, it’s about whittling the steel down to something as smooth as possible.
    Then I’ll start with the folder. I’d start it now, but the lines at home improvement joints are very long.

UZI Talk Supporter

Looking good brother!

UZI Talk Supporter

i kind of did the same thing with an AK AMD stock and trunion i will see if i have picks left

Got the 5/16” rod. First attempt to bend, not so good. Need more precision. I could hammer it a bit and eventually get close to what I want. But far better at this point to invest in a small bending jig. Heck, I’ve needed one for years for various projects.

So I’ll spend the time until it arrives cleaning up what I’ve built so far. Things to do:
    1. get rid of all excess steel. Easily 30% of what is currently on it will be lopped off, and the edges made smooth.
    2. Fashion the collar, and set up the tongue/notch locking arrangement.
    3. Hopefully create the “hook over” thing to hang it on the back[late of the receiver.

I will revisit this thread when the jig arrives. If substantial progress occurs in the meantime, i’ll post a pic or three

Couldn’t resist. Almost there with the attachment plate. Just need to finish off the upper hook

UZI Talk Life Member

Have you thought about using a vice, heat, and a pipe to shape the stock strut instead of a bending jig?

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by A&S Conversions View Post
    Have you thought about using a vice, heat, and a pipe to shape the stock strut instead of a bending jig?

Scott
    Yes, I thought about that. But a jig that handles 5/16” can be had for $80 or less, and mounts in the vise.... I have a few other things going on for which the jig will come in very handy. I actually used two pipes and the vise for the bend I did for this project. It’s usable as-is, but I want it to be better. It’s turning out to be a good excuse to get the jig lol

Back plate done from a functional standpoint. Needs to be cleaned up, but it hooks on and locks in perfectly

Gonna save the M10 in case I get cornered in a fone both or fridge.

I'm sure you will do well with the Cowboy hardware..most bad guys have to be within arms length to hit anything. I do have to take you to task with the well worn quote re Macs effective range. My M10 .45 with a red dot and improved stock center punches silhouette targets quickly and easily. The phone booth quote grates on me.

+ Reply to Thread