UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 3 4 LastLast

Thread: The SHTF folding stock - an experiment

UZI Talk Supporter
    The phone booth quote grates on you? LOL

It's a classic 1st appearing here in the 70's

Due to the weapon’s poor accuracy,
    in the 1970s International Association of Police Chiefs weapons researcher David Steele
    described the MAC series as “fit only for combat in a phone booth”

Right up there with the scope on the silencer in ESCAPE from NEW YORK.

Such a ridiculous statement that it's stood the test of time and become a sort of legend or folklore if you will in the MAC community.

Not sorry the internet hurt your feelings.

Anyways hurry up with that stock 1911 or the SHTF will be way over and you'll be stuck with arm brace.

Rich

And here I thought I was making good progress....???? lol

UZI Talk Supporter
    I like the idea, it can be adapted to almost any other weapon, from a 22 semi auto to a high power bolt action!

Why I’m thinking a bending jig: to get the bend I want, I would need 3/8” black steel plumbing pipe.
    No one has it in stock locally. And by the time it is shipped etc, it would be $40 for two 36” pieces (you want the length to get the leverage). And then, what would I do with the pipe afterward?

Whereas the bending jig, had I had one, would easily have saved its own $80 cost over the past decade of various projects. On this project alone, it will save me from spending $40 on two pieces of pipe that I probably will never use again. So it is already making up 50% of its purchase price!

So I ordered it.

EDIT: with nothing to lose, I took a hammer to the existing bend. It might be good after all. I’ll just have to be careful in cutting the tongue and notch for the collar. See below image.

EDIT 2, 45 minutes later: as I examine this, a) it’s unlikely I’d be able to manage any tighter bend on 5/16” rod, and b) I want a tighter bend. So I’m going to see if I can find some sort of bearing sleeve that is 1/4” inner and 5/16” outer diameter. And then re-do this, with 1/4” rod. It seems to me that no overwhelming strength is needed on the pivot, as that won’t be carrying the brunt of the recoil. So 1/4” aluminum would be sufficient.

Last edited by Mike1911; 05-07-2020 at 03:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by root View Post
    The phone booth quote grates on you? LOL

It's a classic 1st appearing here in the 70's

Due to the weapon’s poor accuracy,
    in the 1970s International Association of Police Chiefs weapons researcher David Steele
    described the MAC series as “fit only for combat in a phone booth”

Right up there with the scope on the silencer in ESCAPE from NEW YORK.

Such a ridiculous statement that it's stood the test of time and become a sort of legend or folklore if you will in the MAC community.

Not sorry the internet hurt your feelings.

Anyways hurry up with that stock 1911 or the SHTF will be way over and you'll be stuck with arm brace.

Rich
    I wish that we could find a phone booth and take pics of us inside with the MAC 10s. Damn cell phones, no phone booths.

A bit of file work, and the issue is resolved:

Next is the 90 degree bend out from that hoop. To that bend I will attach the pvc
    Last edited by Mike1911; 05-07-2020 at 08:11 PM.

I like the progress!

UZI Talk Supporter
    [QUOTE=Kramer;828587]I wish that we could find a phone booth and take pics of us inside with the MAC 10s. Damn cell

There's a guy about 20 miles from here that has a phone booth on his property!

I don’t know what the ‘official’ nomenclature of these components might be. Anyway, here’s the butt and the extension.

First, the parts. The pvc riser tube, along with rubber fuel hose. After the pvc was pliable, I inserted the hose into what would become the ‘butt’ of the stock (please, no jokes!) so tubing would not collapse as it was being bent.

Next up is the newly formed stock after being bent into shape. I’ll likely trim an inch or so off the bottom when all is said and done. I like this better than my first idea with the right-angle insert.

And here it is, ready for the next step in the process.
    Last edited by Mike1911; 05-07-2020 at 10:20 PM.

Bless your heart.... No ones feelings hurt here. Looks like you can't deal with facts that don't fit your narrative. Believe what you want but more people than myself have experimented with the lowly Mac and been surprised by its potential.

Next bit of progress. We’re rounding third at this point..... the alignment is good, the collar is in progress. Soon we’ll be bending out the rod 90 degrees to accept the extension/butt piece. But we have an issue: the top bend of what I made interferes with the iron sight!

There are ways to ameliorate that. First is that when I make the tongue and notches to lock the collar in-place (which of course thereby will lock the stock in open/closed positions), the whole thing will lose a quarter-inch in height. But that won’t be sufficient. I could also ‘notch’ the collar, so the whole rod sits more deeply in it. Or I could take some height off the top of the pivot knuckle before doing the tongue/notch thing. Or I could shave off the very top of the bend! Or any combination of those that produces the desired result.

I am not yet certain of how I wish to accomplish this. But it needs to be complete before I bend the rod out.

Just about done. Only things left are the spring on the bottom (will be secured with E-clip), shorten the butt portion of the stock an inch or so, clean up rough edges, and spray paint. Here are parts before assembly:

And here is the carbine with the parts on. It works.

UZI Talk Supporter
    Cool!

And extended, cleaned up, painted, all components installed. Think I’ll put it in the pics thread now.

UZI Talk Supporter
    Looks good but man did it make that thing LOOooong.

NEVER gonna fit in a phone booth now!

Good work there.

And as you have figured out any time some one puts SHTF or zombie in a title thread all bets are off and we are gonna poke some fun!

Rich

Lesson learned: the tongue/notch arrangement should be more isosceles trapezoidal. There’s the tiniest bit of play. Doesn’t even amount to a millimeter of movement at the butt end, but it’s there. I knew that would be likely, but didn’t have the confidence to cut that correctly. Maybe I’ll re-do it at a later date, as it’s just a new collar and widening the existing notches slightly. Carefully. lol

We’ll see how the pvc holds up. But it could be considered ‘consumable’, as it costs about two bucks. So if it lasts a couple thousand rounds and you then have to replace it, so what?

Overall, I’m sorta content with the result. It’ll work for awhile. And the price is right.

So if it lasts a couple thousand rounds and you then have to replace it, so what?
    so what? its a failure point.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishman View Post
    so what? its a failure point.
    It’s a test. It might or might not be a fail point.

UZI Talk Life Member
    A+ for effort.

UZI Talk Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1911 View Post
    Lesson learned: the tongue/notch arrangement should be more isosceles trapezoidal. There’s the tiniest bit of play. Doesn’t even amount to a millimeter of movement at the butt end, but it’s there. I knew that would be likely, but didn’t have the confidence to cut that correctly. Maybe I’ll re-do it at a later date, as it’s just a new collar and widening the existing notches slightly. Carefully. lol

We’ll see how the pvc holds up. But it could be considered ‘consumable’, as it costs about two bucks. So if it lasts a couple thousand rounds and you then have to replace it, so what?

Overall, I’m sorta content with the result. It’ll work for awhile. And the price is right.
    If the PVC fails, but you feel that the concept is valid, you can always make 2.0 from Aluminum tubing.

+ Reply to Thread