UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wolf .380 in an M-11?

Wolf .380 in an M-11?

Does anyone use steel case .380 in there M-11? Any negative side effects from long term use?

UZI Talk Life Member
    I've run 5-6,000 of steel case/steel bullets through my M11/9 and see no signs of degradation. Let's say you get 10,000 out of a barrel shooting steel and 20,000 with brass/copper. New barrels are $100. You can figure the ammo savings vs. the cost of a new barrel.

It's a bullet hose, it's not meant for accurate fire. Don't worry about it.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Aluminum cased anything and Maxxtech (stepped) Brass are current known problems.

The rest is fair game.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Side note avoid lacquered steel if possible. When the gun is hot lacquer can stick in the chamber causing jams.

Does anyone use steel case .380 in there M-11? Any negative side effects from long term use?
    I have used Wolf/Tula steel cased 380 ammo in my SWD M11A1 and it ran fine.

No problems with feed and function and no long term effects.

If you can get it cheap Id say but all you can afford.

Gratuitous M11A1 video
    https://youtu.be/AO2R9939FNM
    Last edited by ATCDoktor; 05-04-2020 at 01:18 AM.

Thanks and nice vid Doc.

Doc: Fun to watch the plate fall and then the downrange dustups. Thanks for posting.

I have't tried it in my 380 but some friends shot a bunch of steel cased stuff through my m11/9 and I shot a few cases of 45 through my m10 without issue(had it left over from one of the ammo scares in the obama era).

Quote Originally Posted by Hey... View Post
    Side note avoid lacquered steel if possible. When the gun is hot lacquer can stick in the chamber causing jams.
    Nah, not really. Once it’s hot, the lacquered surface just vaporizes. Ask anybody with an MG-42. No problems at all. That sort of came out of the ARF.com group shooting an AR (semi) for 20/30 rounds fairly quickly, then benching the gun to let it cool WITH a round in the chamber. Yeah...that’ll stick. Open bolt guns...not so much.

UZI Talk Life Member
    The only problem I had with Wolf in my M11A1 was the steel cases dragging in the steel mags. There were too many failures to feed because the bolt closed on an empty chamber.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Quote Originally Posted by strobro32 View Post
    The only problem I had with Wolf in my M11A1 was the steel cases dragging in the steel mags. There were too many failures to feed because the bolt closed on an empty chamber.
    Same experience.
    Steel case against steel feed lip drag is the only problem I’ve had with steel case ammo whether it was 9mm or .380. If you can find it, I LOVE Silver Bear .380. Almost no feeding issues, and it’s hotter than Wolf.
    Please visit my FB page for the latest CF-W bolt information.
    https://www.facebook.com/VegasSMG/?ref

The only thing my M11A1 will eat is Tula 380.

UZI Talk Supporter
    This was 9mm, but I've gotten steel case to work in the 31, but had the same issues with it dragging in the mag. Coffee always said he could get it to run but he had some tricks. Some kind of dry spray lubricant IIRC?

UZI Talk Life Member
    After talking with Vegas Tom I started using teflon dry lube in my M11 small mag with Tula blammo and it helped feeding enough that I can run the original bolt and do a 1600 RPM mag dump consistently. I think that the steel case has enough friction that it needs some help. I load the mags and then give them a short squirt down the top and into the witness holes on the side. Helps STENs run too.

UZI Talk Life Member
    It’s important to address and minimize the steel ammo case against steel feed lip drag. Here’s my preferred method of shooting steel cased ammo.
    Take a large Ziploc bag and a clean, soft rag. (One of kickstands T-shirts will work nicely) Saturate the rag with silicone spray, drop It and 50 to 100 rounds Of ammo inside the Ziploc bag and shake. Spay more silicone as needed to coat the rounds.

WD-40 or similar also works well, but I wouldn’t let a petroleum based product sit on the rounds more than 24 hours and potentially migrate to the primers and contaminate them. Petroleum based spray works great on steel case ammo.

*Better start loading those mags automaticlee!
    Please visit my FB page for the latest CF-W bolt information.
    https://www.facebook.com/VegasSMG/?ref

That will take awhile, i have about a dozen. Got my bolt yesterday. Thanks Tom.

+ Reply to Thread