UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: MAX 11-15 Failure to Feed Issues

UZI Talk Supporter

MAX 11-15 Failure to Feed Issues

I took my Max 11/15 IRM version to the outdoor range yesterday and the first two mags ran fine then after that I started getting failures to feeds about 20% of the time. What would happen is that the bolt would go forward, catch a round, and then seem to drag on the top of the Magpul mag and move forward about about an inch and then stop. Sometimes I just had to re-cock the charging handle and lock the bolt back, then pull the trigger again and it would work. Iím using American Eagle Black Box Brass .223 ammo.

Anyone else experience this and any suggestions?

What magazines? I’ve had this happen with aluminum gi mags, never with Pmags.

UZI Talk Supporter

I have run at least 1000 rounds through my Max 11-15 IRM using nothing but Pmags and have not had even a single malfunction of any kind. It has been flawless so far. I’m sure its probably something simple and Richard will make it right for you.

UZI Talk Supporter

I used 4 different P-mags and a 60 round American Tactical German made Schmeisser.

UZI Talk Life Member
    It might be short stroking with the ammo you are using. To diagnose, see if it has the failure to strip a round problem with the first shot from the magazine. If it does not, but short strokes on the next one, you need to increase the gas with the adjustable gas block. You will find variations between different ammo brands and lots.
    Richard Lage
    Lage Manufacturing, L.L.C.
    www.max-11.com

UZI Talk Supporter

Thanks Richard. I can always count on you for help and advice and I love all of the many uppers I purchased from you.

If I recall correctly, a few of the failures occurred on the first round. Stupid me never thought about adjusting the gas since on two other occasions it ran flawlessly. I have 2 other M11/9 that I could try it on when I go back to the range to see if one of them would work better. I have yet to strip it down and clean it this weekend to see if there are any obvious signs.

UZI Talk Supporter
    I have had failures to feed in my MAX-11/15 IRM on the first round or any subsequent round for at least two and possibly three reasons.

1. For sure, I’ve had failures to feed due to the chamber and bolt needing some degree of cleaning. This has been the most common cause for me. This has happened after only a few hundred rounds.

2. For sure I’ve had failures to feed due the sear plate being slightly canted and not absolutely parallel with the bolt carrier. Richard was able to make that diagnosis from an unlisted video I made specifically for him demonstrating the problem. This was valuable feedback. This is the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmwXGYLyzGw

This was Richard’s insightful response:

“I would check the bolt carrier group to make sure the sear plate is parallel to the bolt carrier. *If it gets canted, it can drag in the upper. *If you disassembled the BCG for cleaning, you need to make sure the sear plate is parallel. *The best way is to place the sear plate in a vise when retightening the bolts. *You can look down on top of it to see if it is crooked. “

3. It’s possible that I’ve had failures to feed due to the magazine sitting too high in the mag well. I’m not certain about this but I’ve had different mags (all good quality) demonstrate different reliability.

UZI Talk Supporter

Thanks Eric for your response and for sharing the video. What you experienced in that video is exactly what is happening to mine. At first I thought maybe I didn’t reassemble the bolt back properly after my last cleaning but upon inspection, the sear plate does seem parallel. I stripped the bolt back down again and gave it another good cleaning (I shot probably 400 rounds through it and it wasn’t that dirty) and then reassembled it making sure the sear plate was parallel again. I’m not sure how it could not be parallel as it is torqued down tightly with two hex bolts. I’m fortunate to have 3 different lowers so I’ll try swapping it out and see if the problem persist. I’ll also try different settings as Richard suggested next time I take it out again.

Btw Eric, I appreciate all you do for the MAC community. When I first got my M11/15 I referred back to your informative videos to learn how to assemble it and enjoy your shooting videos as well. Thanks again.
    Last edited by Hawaiian Human; 05-15-2020 at 10:15 PM.

+ Reply to Thread