UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: OEM M11/9 Untouched or Re-Welded and looked over?

OEM M11/9 Untouched or Re-Welded and looked over?

If you were buying an OEM M11/9, would you want it looked over and potentially re-welded by a competent gunsmith? (backplate specifically)

OR would you prefer to buy it with everything original?

Mr. Miata
    UZI Talk Life Member
    Is there a problem? If not, I wouldn't send it off somewhere.
    AWWWW NUTS!

REAL MEN DRIVE MIATAS

No current problem with it. I actually have two I'm waiting on. One NIB and the other is slightly used. Plan is to shoot one and just sit on the other.

I've heard of issues with the original welds in the back and I've heard of guys sending them to specific gunsmiths just to have everything inspected and possibly reinforced before anything happens.

Is the backplate weld "giving out" less prevalent than I've heard?

Mr. Miata
    UZI Talk Life Member
    Problems always garner more attention on forums. I'd keep your NIB as it is and shoot the used one if you plan on saving one. If the new one has problems when you get it, they are easy (relatively) to fix.
    AWWWW NUTS!

REAL MEN DRIVE MIATAS

They’re cheap, fun firearms meant to be shot. Shoot them and reweld if and when necessary.
    Last edited by MACchat; 05-12-2020 at 08:42 AM. Reason: If

Which OEM? I havnt heard of many RPB or Ingram weld issues. Mostly Texas MAC issues.

SWD M11/9

UZI Talk Life Member
    I bought my SWD M11/9 well used. I put another ton of ammo through it and it's still fine, never been 'repaired'. And mine is one of the last minute converted semi-autos from May 1986 when quality was supposed to be at it's worst. You're reading too much fake news and forum blather. Get the used one and shoot the crap out of it and have fun - What MACchat and JMacken37 said.

If you want to obsess over it, replace the trigger guts with Lage parts.

UZI Talk Life Member
    part of that backplate reweld info had to do with people shooting the piss out of old guns with a rotted/no buffer.
    put a fresh buffer in and hit the range.
    if it breaks.....fix it then.

second the notion of replacing guts with lage parts.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Providing a good buffer was always used, you’ll likely see feed ramp welds crack on either side before the back welds fatigue and crack.
    Front take down pin axis hole is also likely to become elongated.
    Last edited by Vegas SMG; 05-11-2020 at 09:03 PM.
    Please visit my FB page for the latest CF-W bolt information.
    https://www.facebook.com/VegasSMG/?ref

I'd want one that has been used, don't care if its been rewelded unless its a texas non swd m10. Those I'd want to have been converted to normal parts and rewelded.

I'd actually want to avoid a nib m11 as I'd be worried that it might have some spec issues that need to be fixed. Last thing you want is to pay extra for something being NIB and then have to have someone like practical solutions fix it.

UZI Talk Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Deerhurst View Post
    Which OEM? I havnt heard of many RPB or Ingram weld issues. Mostly Texas MAC issues.
    The M11/NINE is a lighter duty registered receiver compared to the M10. The sheetmetal used to construct the M11/NINE is a much thinner gauge than that of the M10, so smaller welds in the M11/NINE. The M11/NINE was the invention of Wayne Daniels co owner of SWD. The M11/NINE is based on the original M11, but the receiver was extended to give more stroke to the bolt so that it could fire the much more powerful and less expensive 9X19 ammo instead of .380. SWD was the only manufacturer of the M11/NINE. It is my understanding that SWD made and registered more than twice the number of M11/NINE RRs than all M10 Manufacturers combined. So the aftermarket for the M11/NINE has been much bigger than that of M10.

Scott

Learn something new every day! Did not know only SWD made M11/NINEs.

UZI Talk Life Member

My opinion is shoot them both. Did you even pay any premium for one being unfired? If you did, the market value of unfired isn't very much. Why, the same reasons that were listed. Even if market value doubles, will that unfired gun run? Something like captain so-and-so's cap and ball pistol from the Civil War is a peice of history. An unfired M11/NINE, not so much. It is a toy. A powerful toy that needs to be respected. But to me the small premium of being unfired doesn't have very much value to me compared to the fun of having and shooting more than one machinegun. YMMV.

Scott
    Last edited by A&S Conversions; 05-12-2020 at 04:49 AM. Reason: Grammar

UZI Talk Life Member

You'll spend far more in ammo getting that likely problem child 1986 M11/9 to run than any premium for NIB.

Both Scott's agree 100% on this one. Now it IS nice to have the box and standard contents but absolutely would rather have a legit 'guaranteed to run 100%' gun than the NIB. Been there, done that.
    My name is actually Scott and I really do live in Texas.

I know, not very creative but it is factual.

By the way - Facebook is truly evil; resist the urge to participate.

UZI Talk Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmacken37 View Post
    Problems always garner more attention on forums. I'd keep your NIB as it is and shoot the used one if you plan on saving one. If the new one has problems when you get it, they are easy (relatively) to fix.
    2nd. A gunsmith tuned mac is going to be a reliable shooter.

I bought a sten converted M11/NINE years ago NIB from Craig Wheatley. It was during the AWB when sten mags were cheap and available. I got all this crazy advice about replacing the internal parts. One guy even told me to get it re-welded and refinished before I shot it. I called RPB -- an outfit that sold a lot of mac stuff at the time. The guy there said replace the buffer since its probably really old and then go shoot it. If there's a problem, call us.

20 years later and I've never replaced any parts on it, and it seems to be holding together just fine. I do think they're a little dangerous out of the box. The stock is flimsy, the cocking handle could fly off and hit you in the face, and your hand is awful close to the end of that barrel burping out 20 rounds a second. A side cocking upper with a foregrip is a worthwhile investment as is a fixed stock. The Lage stuff is pricey, but really well made. It turns a 9mm shotgun into a nice shooting smg.

UZI Talk Life Member
    My near new M11/9 needed many tweaks to make it 100% like it is today. It needed everything, mag catch, extractor spring +power, feed ramp bend, sorted z-mags that wouldn’t jam cartridges within the body and fucking worked, a different upper than USMG, and ditching the paper clip mod that jammed the bolt sometimes closed or open... stock 1/16 roll pin from now on... oh, remove the trip... and keep my fingers crossed each time I pull the trigger.
    Last edited by Hey...; 05-13-2020 at 08:37 AM. Reason: Clutter

UZI Talk Supporter
    Man fpsrussia. He could be a little much sometimes but the production quality on those videos was tops. Do you know him?

+ Reply to Thread