UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Life of a .22 conversion kit? What is your round count?

UZI Talk Supporter

Life of a .22 conversion kit? What is your round count?

Now that my Lage kit is running well I am starting to wring my hands over the fact that I only bought one. What happens when this wears out? How long can I expect? Just curious what type of round count the community has achieved on these and hoping that my fears are unfounded. I mean, it is built with the usual Lage high quality but everything wears out eventually.

Well there really isn't anything to wear out. I don't believe it's possible to shoot out a 22 barrel. Just doesn't generate enough heat. Only thing really to wear out is springs and extractors and I believe they sell replacements for those. So unless you have something crazy happen you should be good.

I got my kit at the end of November 2019 or the beginning of December 2019. Iím not sure of the round count but I can tell you in roughly 6 months of ownership, Iíve put over 10k rounds through it. Mine is holding up extremely well but my buffer is starting to deteriorate, which is expected to happen. I rarely clean it, I usually just add oil and pull a wire brush through the barrel. I havenít even taken the bolt/rod/recoil spring apart for cleaning.

Iíve got a side cocker upper and the charging handle is starting to pin the bolt. Lage advised me that it will NOT hurt the performance and to keep my thumb resting on the charging handle to prevent it from bouncing and hitting the bolt.

I quickly got the same dent in my bolt from the side charging upper. I dont have anywhere near 10k since I have been going in and out of jobs and holding on to money but my dent looked identical within 1k rounds. Hasnt changed since it got mated to that upper. I am curious if repairs needed to be made how you would even remove the extractor spring.

UZI Talk Supporter

Well that is good news, I'm not too concerned about springs and extractors since Lage used what appears to be off-the-shelf 10/22 parts for that which should be available for as long as humanity exists. I was mostly concerned about shooting out the barrel or the having the firing pin nub get worn down. I'm only a few hundred rounds in and right now it keeps working better the more I use it.

UZI Talk Supporter

I'm running a side cocker also. I'll watch for that but good to know it doesn't cause any functional issues.

UZI Talk Life Member
    I have at least 8,000 but probably closer to 10 or 12,000 rounds on my 22 kit. I noticed that the last time I took it out (fall of 2019) there seemed to be more duds than normal. I was getting firing pin dents but they didn't seem as deep as before. I noticed that the firing 'pin' protrusion on the bolt face was worn down and rounded, about half the height that it originally was. I sent it back to Lage in January and they did something to it and sent it back a week or so later no charge. I haven't had a chance to take it out since I lost my only FA range in November so I cannot comment yet. But that is the only wear that I have seen. The side cocker dent is nothing - we all get that and it does nothing.

I got mine in 2011, and have run over 28,000 rounds through it. The only problem I had was when the barrel insert came loose in the barrel insert assembly in 2016, and I had to send it back to get it torqued down. I run it in a dedicated top-cocking OEM-style upper with a Carlson Thruster.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Jack,

How does your firing 'pin' look like? Mine is about 30 thousandth above the face of the bolt and rounded. Looking at it it looks like Lage just trimmed up the sides when I sent it to them.

UZI Talk Supporter

Good to know, I have read that a .22 barrel lasts anywhere from 5-20,000 rounds with some opinions that the average human lifespan goes first before a barrel lifespan. Naturally the kit was never meant to be a precision piece anyways. Also, is that A Skoda Octavia for your avatar?

UZI Talk Life Member
    My barrel got ringed early on. I had a squib/half squib that put the bullet about half way down the barrel and there was enough back pressure to cycle the action (which I would find unbelievable if I wasn't there and shooting it when it happened) and followed by a full charge round. I have been shooting with it for over 7500 rounds and probably many more since I don't really keep track. NO PROBLEMS in cycling or 'burst accuracy'.

I think the important thing to remember about the Lage 22 is that if it is functioning well then you have got all that you can expect from it. Accuracy, military grade durability, 10,000 mean rounds per failure, etc. are not to be expected. It's a fun toy. A really fun toy. And cheap to shoot relative the the rest of the full auto world. Keep that in mind and you will be happy with it. Try to make it into something more and you will be frustrated. Let's all hope that Richard Lage lives a long and happy life and is willing to repair his children for many years to come and all will be well in the world of M11/9s.

I think that's a Skoda Felicia but I can't be sure. I'm a fan of odd cars but not an expert. I used to have an East German Trabant.

UZI Talk Life Member
    My understanding is Lage will still service kits just not produce complete kits to sale.

UZI Talk Supporter
    I'd be more worried about mags.wearing out.

UZI Talk Supporter
    Bought my first M11-22 kit used along with a Max 31, a bunch of drums and other necessities while my M11 was in NFA jail about 7-8 years ago. I don't have a precise round count but am confident that I have spewed at least 20,000 rounds through it since I've had it. No idea how many rounds went through it before I owned it. It has been back to Lage for a tune up but I expect it is good for at least 20k-40k more.

However, I did have similar concerns about how long it will last and when it was announced that Lage was building the "last batch" of M11-22 kits I put my name on the list and got another one in April. It was interesting to see the changes in the bolt design from my original kit to the current version. (The bolt is significantly lighter).

I'll probably soon sell one of the kits or the other, but there is no marketing scheme that works as well as telling someone they can't buy something any more to make them want it. I fell into that trap.

UZI Talk Supporter

I hope to be shooting for another 50 years and I'm thinking at least 1k rounds through this kit (as I really enjoy it) per year so I'm hoping it lives to 50,000 rounds. From what I am reading here I actually have a decent chance at that. I would be interested to know if anyone makes it there. Also, I have really appropriated the support on this forum, is there a way to donate? I'm sure at the end of the day it takes more than hopes and dreams to keep it running, nothing runs for free...

UZI Talk Supporter
    Not a Lage kit or a m11/9 kit for that matter but i do have a fleming for my M10.

I run a brick 9 (500rnds )through it when i take it out. It starts to fail from dirty 22 rounds at around 500 so a brick per outing is good.

Take it apart clean it up and it's ready for next time.

Round count unknown but it's a good amount.

I also run it with a SWR Spectre in stead of a booster.

Yes SMEC_289 there is a paypal button on the bottom of all forum pages.

Donate and you get bumped up to a UT supporter.

No idea what the round count is bought it used and have had it about 10 years.

Rich
    Last edited by root; 05-17-2020 at 06:55 AM. Reason: Edit 'cause my smart fone failed spelling

smec_289, Only 1k per year?
    I seriously think your under estimating what your round count will be.
    When I take mine out, I go through at least one box of 500 rounds. Maybe four times that hasnít happened but a 500 round box goes in no time.

Get the Lightniní Grip Loader, it makes the kit. Without the loader itís cool but loading the mags gets old, real quick.

UZI Talk Supporter
    [QUOTE=Get the Lightnin’ Grip Loader, it makes the kit. Without the loader it’s cool but loading the mags gets old, real quick.[/QUOTE]
    +1 on that!

UZI Talk Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by smec_289 View Post
    I hope to be shooting for another 50 years and I'm thinking at least 1k rounds through this kit (as I really enjoy it) per year so I'm hoping it lives to 50,000 rounds. From what I am reading here I actually have a decent chance at that. I would be interested to know if anyone makes it there. Also, I have really appropriated the support on this forum, is there a way to donate? I'm sure at the end of the day it takes more than hopes and dreams to keep it running, nothing runs for free...
    I think that it is great that you are thinking about this community and want to support it. How do you know what you are going to want to do with your spare time 25 years from now let alone 50 years from now? I wanted an AR 40 years ago. I didn't buy one until 20 years ago, so you are ahead of that curve than I was. Once I shot a M16, that is what I had to have one. A couple years later I bought a Colt M16 RR. I took several years to trick out the 16 with all kinds of barrel lengths and calibers. Then I shot a MP5. A couple years later I had a HK sear in a converted 94. After getting all kinds of different host guns, I tried a friend's M11/NINE. I bought a M10 then a M11/NINE. Now I have gone down the rabbit hole of manufacturing an adapter for the M10. I never imagined 20 years ago that I would be where I am now concerning firearms. 40 years ago I had planned to live my entire life within 20 miles of where I was born in Maine. I ended up living nine years in Las Vegas. And when there was no work in Vegas I would travel 400 miles to work outages at a nuke plant in California.

For most people in their 20's or 30's, how their lives end up being tends to be different than what they imagined. How long will your Lage .22lr kit last you? Who knows. You might have shot out four of them in your life time because you just love shooting .22lr. Or this kit might be in the back of the parts bin and hasn't been shot in years. Time will tell. I wouldn't worry about it. I would shoot it and enjoy it right now. YMMV.

Scott

UZI Talk Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by KickStand View Post
    smec_289, Only 1k per year?
    I seriously think your under estimating what your round count will be.
    When I take mine out, I go through at least one box of 500 rounds. Maybe four times that hasnít happened but a 500 round box goes in no time.

Get the Lightniní Grip Loader, it makes the kit. Without the loader itís cool but loading the mags gets old, real quick.
    Sadly so! I'm trying to ration it out. Also, got a family, a business, some other guns to shoot, and a mustang that I am redoing. Don't get to shoot as much as I would like.

+ Reply to Thread