UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: MAC-10 .22 Conversion

MAC-10 .22 Conversion

Forgive me if this is a duplicate thread. I tried using search, but didn't pull anything up with numerous search terms.

Is there a consensus "best" .22 conversion for the MAC-10/9? I like Lage stuff, but he only makes a .22 conversion for the M-11. I see there are options available, but don't know about functionality, compatibility, longevity, etc.

I have an RPB M-10/9 in NFA jail right now, and a Max-10/31 to go along with it, for reference.

Only one I know of that’s worth a damn is the old practical solutions kit, but it hasn’t been made in a decade and to my knowledge no one makes one at present. It’s a shame too, they’d sell like hot cakes.

I have a Fleming M10-22. It's not great, but it works.... occasionally.

UZI Talk Supporter
    Have a flemming kit that runs 100% until it's dirty.

Clean and its G2G for about 500 more rounds.

Fleming kits are hard to find ones that run good are like unicorns.

Quote Originally Posted by challenger70rt View Post
    Only one I know of that’s worth a damn is the old practical solutions kit, but it hasn’t been made in a decade and to my knowledge no one makes one at present. It’s a shame too, they’d sell like hot cakes.
    I agree. As a.new Mac owner id love a M10 22lr kit. 22 is cheap. ROF vs ammo costs wouldn't be a factor anymore. Don't have my stamp yet but 45 will be expensive on FA pretty quick!

Quote Originally Posted by Deerhurst View Post
    I agree. As a.new Mac owner id love a M10 22lr kit. 22 is cheap. ROF vs ammo costs wouldn't be a factor anymore. Don't have my stamp yet but 45 will be expensive on FA pretty quick!
    You’d be surprised.. I have one of the aforementioned PS .22 kits, and while it does run, it can still be a little finicky at times (it’s hard to get ANY open bolt kit to be 100% just due to the limitations in round energy and the General shitty nature of most 22 ammo) and definitely gets susceptible to getting dirty and needing to be cleaned. I don’t use it as much as I thought I would. 9mm or 45 is just soooo much more reliable and fun. If ammo cost is a concern, I suggest you learn to reload, and further learn to cast your own bullets. Make friends w a tire shop so you can get take off lead wheel weights on the cheap and melt em down. It takes some work and a bit of time, but I cast 3k or so 124gr Lrn bullets last weekend. I can load 9 or 45 for around $40-45/1000 (after you have a good supply of brass built up)

Quote Originally Posted by root View Post
    Have a flemming kit that runs 100% until it's dirty.

Clean and its G2G for about 500 more rounds.

Fleming kits are hard to find ones that run good are like unicorns.
    That sucker ran great until dirty. I loved how it used Ruger 10/22 mags.

My Fleming only works with Ramline mags. I have tried Ruger and Butler Creek without any success.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rchaisch View Post
    My Fleming only works with Ramline mags. I have tried Ruger and Butler Creek without any success.
    Same with my Fleming M11/9. After messing around with all kinds of solutions from here and elsewhere with little luck someone here told me that the manual (I didn't get one when I bought it used) said that it was designed to use the Ramline magazines. I had Ramline mags but never tried them because I had "all the better ones and if it didn't work with good ones why would it run with crappy Ramlines?" Well, it turns out that the Ramlines have a raised rib on one side that acts as the ejector ala the Australian Owen SMG. Most other mags don't have that and that's why when I tried some Ramlines all of a sudden my Fleming ran pretty darn well. By then I had my Lage kit and never took the Fleming out again.

UZI Talk Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rchaisch View Post
    Try just the plain 15 dollar steel lip butler creek 10/22 mags that's what mine likes.

Every now and then you can find them on sale for like 19.99 a pair shipped from CDNN I think.

At that price it's worth a shot.

Rich

Decades ago (pre-1986), a friend had a .22 AK47 copy that had been converted to FA. I remember lots of misfeed jams. The rims would get caught on the feed lips.

And I had an AR7 semi for awhile, with ramline mags. I had to jam a toothpick between the mag and the trigger guard to improve that, and it would still misfeed at least once per magazine.

It’s just the nature of rimfire IMO. It’s not designed for magazine-fed operation.

+ Reply to Thread