UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lessons learned, donít procrastinate.

Lessons learned, donít procrastinate.

I FINALLY got around to sorting brass that Iíve received from friends over the last year. Iíve learned a lesson and thatís not to procrastinate when it comes to sorting brass. It literally took me a day and a half to sort through this.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Hey Zeus! It's not what you know, it's who you know.

UZI Talk Supporter
    Never given that much brass in a year but came close or even with wheel weight from Kramer.

Very nice score there very nice.

Got me drooling all over the phone screen.

Rich

UZI Talk Life Member
    I’m jealous. I would have to give out handjobs for that much brass

UZI Talk Supporter
    I thought "that's cool" until you said "308 Match". That's when I started drooling!

Quote Originally Posted by strobro32 View Post
    Hey Zeus! It's not what you know, it's who you know.
    So true.

Quote Originally Posted by root View Post
    Never given that much brass in a year but came close or even with wheel weight from Kramer.

Very nice score there very nice.

Got me drooling all over the phone screen.

Rich
    My next goal is to start reclaiming lead from my range and start getting into casting bullets. Not sure how Iím going to get the lead out of the berm. Iím planning on using my tractors bucket and building a metal screen shifter.

Quote Originally Posted by TheColtCollector View Post
    Iím jealous. I would have to give out handjobs for that much brass
    Lmao. Three of my shooting buddies compete in swat round up and they practice all the time. Iím fortunate they always picked up brass for me. Two of them are no longer going to compete. Iíll only have one buddy left to hook me up. Heís in a smaller county than the other two though.

Quote Originally Posted by sniperdoc View Post
    I thought "that's cool" until you said "308 Match". That's when I started drooling!
    The prize of the bunch for sure.

Mr. Miata
    UZI Talk Life Member
    You need to be collecting more of the "man's caliber" AKA 9mm... :-)
    AWWWW NUTS!

REAL MEN DRIVE MIATAS

UZI Talk Supporter
    An old screen door and a couple of sawhorses make a decent small scale sieve.

Re: Starting Casting; I recommend starting with Revolver Cartridges. Less problems with hardness (won't tear or bend like in an Semi or Full Auto or Bolt Action, lower pressure vs Rifle Cartridges means less chance to "smear" due to speed with soft lead). Lots of source material available. When you start mixing your own alloys, you'll need a decent set of scales. Lead and other the other metals need to be mixed by weight.
    Last edited by sniperdoc; 05-27-2020 at 09:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jmacken37 View Post
    You need to be collecting more of the "man's caliber" AKA 9mm... :-)
    I agree 100%. Unfortunately, most LEO departments in my area don’t carry 9mm. One of my buddies got hired on with Wh***lando PD and they carry 9s. He came up last week and shot with us for the day. When he left it was made apparently clear that next time he comes up to bring a bucket full of 9mm brass.

Quote Originally Posted by sniperdoc View Post
    An old screen door and a couple of sawhorses make a decent small scale sieve.

Re: Starting Casting; I recommend starting with Revolver Cartridges. Less problems with hardness (won't tear or bend like in an Semi or Full Auto or Bolt Action, lower pressure vs Rifle Cartridges means less chance to "smear" due to speed with soft lead). Lots of source material available. When you start mixing your own alloys, you'll need a decent set of scales. Lead and other the other metals need to be mixed by weight.
    Thank you. I’ve got a lot of reading to due before I start casting bullets.
    Last edited by KickStand; 05-28-2020 at 08:48 PM.

UZI Talk Supporter
    Re: Casting: Every time you cast, your first few will come out wrinkled. That's caused by the Mold being cold. Toss them back in the pot and remelt, when the mold warms up, they will come out smooth.
    Also, NEVER, EVER use a steel object to touch any part of your Mold. If you have a bullet that won't release, tap the back of the Mold with a Wooden Hammer Handle, or a Rubber Maller. Using a Pocket Knife will scratch the Mold. You do not want that!

UZI Talk Life Member
    I avoided casting and loading for SMG for years because the smoke and mess of lubes.

I started when the popularity, ease and benefits of powder coating bullets started making it easy to avoid the mess and smoke. I really enjoy making and loading bullets. Some avoid it because of the time it takes but time spent doing something you like is a pleasure.

With a Lee 20 LB bottom pour and a Dillon 650, it's not bad.

Be careful, the silver steam is as addictive as guns.
    Last edited by strobro32; 05-28-2020 at 04:21 PM.

+ Reply to Thread