UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Airsoft Vs BB guns

Airsoft Vs BB guns

A fun comparison of the non-weapon guns to point out the differences in each gun and their performance.

Airsoft and BB guns are sometimes used interchangeably but they are different.

BB Guns
    - BBs are used for target practice and training. Some high powered BB can be used for pest control.
    - Use 4.5mm dense bb made from steel or lead

Airsoft Guns
    - Tactical simulation games and also for target practice and training
    - Uses 6mm plastic bb, Larger in size and less dense
    - popular for use in IPSC or International Practical Shooting Confederation competitions.
    -

Both Airsoft and BB guns use spring, air, gas, sealed tube, or propane for propulsion.
    Both can be made from a variety of materials.
    BB Guns have more power and energy (wight & speed)

Both guns are very accurate but BB is better for long-range shooting.

Use Eye-protection for both guns
    Both bb pellets ricochet off the surface.

Use Airsoft guns for War games for more safety.

Price Range - Almost the same for guns and bb pellets.
    Last edited by Camouflage; 05-28-2020 at 05:57 PM.

You might be suprised by airsoft. I played a lot of airsoft back in college. We ran Airsoft Pacific rules and I ran a G36c copy at about 2000RPM and 330FPS. I was the featherweight. We occasionally had to kick folks out pushing 600+FPS with AEGs and we had a guy lose a tooth from a ~400FPS airsoft gun with .20g BBs. We had a guy, pushing about 500FPS, with a Rem 700 copy. We measured him off at 200 yards consistently putting all rounds on a paper plate. Don't think I've seen a BB gun that can do that.

For the environmentally friendly folks, airsoft, unlike BB guns, have the availability of biodegradable BBs.

BBs are generally cheaper than Airsoft unless you are getting into "hunting grade" BB guns made for small critters like rodents. A decent starter airsoft rifle will run you well over $100. Top models can be well over $1k. The cheap stuff, under $100 isn't really worth the effort of getting it to run right. JG was the cheapest brand I trusted back in the day. I usually started with $200+ rifles and had a lot of tuning to make them reliable enough to use for sim and training. Was able to find a $50 gas pistol that worked fine. Mostly. On hot days.

With airsoft bb weight makes a big difference but per AP rules all were chromographed with .2g bbs for consistency.

Thanks for adding up. That's a lot of valuable info.

UZI Talk Supporter
    I'd rather be shot in the ass with airsoft over my sons red ryder any day of the week.

Most people I've shot in the ass back in the day with a BB gun agree.

Had 5 room mates back in the day and we had a 3 pump rule on the BB gun and ass shots only.

pumped it up to about 6 one day and shot one room mate i nthe ass. he went through the screen door so fast he broke the svreen door out of the frame and hinges.
    Only thing he screamed was " THAT WASN"T NO THREE PUMPS ASSHOLE!"

Off topic here BUT:
    Same guy just dumped his bike on the 25th of this month no helmet, open skull trama, life flight still in ICU and induced coma as of this morning.
    Had a chick on the back she's not much better. busted pelvis in three places

They are both also looking at facial reconstruction.

I grew up stopped partying had kids and settled down.

He is still single and as you can tell still hasn't grown up.

I wish him a fast recovery if there is one for him, I've known him a long time, close to 30 years now.

But ya young wild pre airsoft BB guns were great for around the house LOL

My off topic point is I'm pretty sure airsoft was meant to be shot at people.

I know Paintball was meant to shoot people.

BB guns were not. And are not meant to shoot people my any means. ( unless your young, single, wild, and live with @ least 4 other room mates that are all in on it.)

This topic just brought up some good memories of young, wild, & single, with a friend that is a mess by any medical standard right now and as of Monday probably has no idea where he even is.

Rich

PS: you'll shoot yer eye out kid!

FFL/SOT
    UZI Talk Life Member
    Wisconsin-Indonesia-Thailand & Live @ The Blue Note
    moved to the appropriate forum
    Be polite,be courteous,be professional,but have a plan to kill everybody in the room
    UZI 22LR FA conversion kits are in stock

http://www.subgun-ordnance.com
    subgun-ordnance@sbcglobal.net

UZI Talk Life Member
    3 pump..., jesus. we had a 1 pump rule, and no head shots... 1 pump was enough to lodge a bb under the skin with a 1377

UZI Talk Supporter
    Is airsoft supplanting paintball? Paintball was my jam in late 90s

UZI Talk Supporter
    My dad grew up with a couple of guys who were brothers who had "BB Gun wars". One day, 1 guy shot the other, and the BB entered the guy's tear duct and went into his brain. He instantly dropped. He survived. As a vegetable.
    Needless to say, I wasn't allowed to play that game.

UZI Talk Supporter
    Aunt lost an eye to bb wars. Brother has one in his hand to this day.

UZI Talk Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaujo View Post
    Aunt lost an eye to bb wars. Brother has one in his hand to this day.
    Yup not meant to be shot at each other unless young & wild.

I remember many times walking into that house and 1st looking to the corner behind the bar or the taxidermy deer leg gun rack.

When it wasn't in either spot yer gaurd would always go up wondering where it was in that 3 story house.

Cops broke up a party there one night and when leaving said.

I get shot in the ass with the bb gun on my way out of here I'm taking you all in.

Small town the cops were all local good guys that drank rode and hung with most the town when off duty.

Good times lol

Nice thing with airsoft is it looks so real.

1st metal one i saw i thought was a real gun.

Rich
    Last edited by root; 05-29-2020 at 10:09 AM.

UZI Talk Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by root View Post
    Yup not meant to be shot at each other unless young & wild.

I remember many times walking into that house and 1st looking to the corner behind the bar or the taxidermy deer leg gun rack.

When it wasn't in either spot yer gaurd would always go up wondering where it was in that 3 story house.

Cops broke up a party there one night and when leaving said.

I get shot in the ass with the bb gun on my way out of here I'm taking you all in.

Small town the cops were all local good guys that drank rode and hung with most the town when off duty.

Good times lol

Nice thing with airsoft is it looks so real.

1st metal one i saw i thought was a real gun.

Rich
    Looking real can be a really bad thing in the wrong circumstances. We've all seen the news stories where some kid has a toy gun (and they pulled off the orange "barrel condom") and the police get called and respond with drawn REAL guns.
    The danger is primarily to unthinking kids who want to impress their friends and carry a toy that looks like a real gun, but eventually, someone who is itching to be a hero (either a police officer or an armed civilian) will see someone shooting an "assault weapon" at someone, and that will be a tragic day!

UZI Talk Supporter
    Same guy just dumped his bike on the 25th of this month no helmet, open skull trama, life flight still in ICU and induced coma as of this morning.
    Sorry to hear about your friend Root. I hope he recovers.

I gave up riding my bike over 15 years ago when I was in my 50's. Too many idiots on the roads these days.

David

UZI Talk Supporter
    Root,
    I really hope your friend recovers.

UZI Talk Life Member
    I’ve got an old bolt action 20cal pump Sheridan pellet gun I traded for as a kid
    It is no joke - pump it 20 times and it will prob go through a 2x4
    You can load it shotgun style pellet + 20BBs + pellet
    Rodent destroyer...

UZI Talk Life Member

I had a Benjamin Marauder .25 precharged pneumatic aka "bb gun". Had the same energy as a .22LR at reasonable range. Funny how the delivery of that gun coincided with an abrupt drop on the instances of squirrels eating my hardiplank siding.

I eventually sold it but have a more compact version in .22 caliber. Definitely not toys and great for suburban backyard siding preservation.
    My name is actually Scott and I really do live in Texas.

I know, not very creative but it is factual.

By the way - Facebook is truly evil; resist the urge to participate.

UZI Talk Supporter
    1 of my friends has the Sheridan (?) Pistol with the Removable Stock; I've seen him easily kill Small Game, and Snakes, with it. I believe that, with the right Shot Placement, it would take down a Deer. It will easily send a Pellet through a piece of 1/2" plywood

Quote Originally Posted by Gaujo View Post
    Is airsoft supplanting paintball? Paintball was my jam in late 90s
    Yes. I used to do airsoft when the local gun range used to let airsofters use their shoot house.

UZI Talk Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishman View Post
    Yes. I used to do airsoft when the local gun range used to let airsofters use their shoot house.
    Back in the 90s, Paintball was really big in the Military.

UZI Talk Supporter
    So does airsoft hurt as bad as a bb gun or a paintball gun in winter with summer paint?

I've never been around them other then to look at them.

Ruch

UZI Talk Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by root View Post
    So does airsoft hurt as bad as a bb gun or a paintball gun in winter with summer paint?

I've never been around them other then to look at them.

Ruch
    Not as painful as a BB.
    We used to freeze Paintballs, simply to torment the Marines we were playing against.

+ Reply to Thread